Australian VC's Grave in Bristol

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Tawahi-50, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was reading this article today about some old boy tending graves in a cemetery in St Mary Redcliffe Cemetery Bristol, against the church authorities wishes.

Good Samaritan who Spend £9000 tending graves of war heroes is banned by cemetery

I haven't the slightest inclination to jump on the outrage bus over this but I was interested to read that among the graves he was tending, it inferred, were those of five VC recipients.

Five VC in one (non-military) cemetery was I thought a bit noteworthy and while trying to find more into on the internet, came across this web page which I thought might be worthy of wider interest.

The Search for Lt Col FW Bell VC

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Thanks for that. I read the article too and had the same thoughts. Not had a chance to start searching yet though....
  3. Looked a bit further but as far as I can find out (although I'd be happy to be proved wrong) there are no VC graves in that cemetery. Mr Jackson may have tended these graves previously in another place but the Daily Mail headline of;

and the reference to the five VCs seems designed to mislead. (not much new there for the DM, then!)
  4. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I would tend to agree having spent a bit of time looking at it. Even so, it was a good way to spend a couple of hours.

At least its interesting to know that are some near by - BRISTOL
  5. There is a VC grave in the tiny cemetery on Lansdown opposite Ensleigh and three in the Locksbrook Cemetery too..