Australian Tiger ARH

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
i recall reading that that chopper had no night fighting capabilty hence why it was never used in Afghanistan ,this chopper occupies a similar place in aussie procurement procedure as its Collins class sub.

i recall reading that that chopper had no night fighting capabilty hence why it was never used in Afghanistan ,this chopper occupies a similar place in aussie procurement procedure as its Collins class sub.
This is complete bollox as the French Army Air Corps has already used its Tiger HAP, a less advanced version of the Tiger, in dozens of combat actions over Libya, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mali and soon the Central African Republic as 2 Tigre HAD are soon going to reinforce Op Sangaris there.

If Aussie Tigers were not deployed to AFG, that has probably much more to do with either the political or the military command being a bit shy....

Vids of FRA Tigre in night combat actions:

In AFG:

In Mali:

Why not just buy in Apaches? Serious query btw

My understanding is that the AUS military wanted an armed reconnaissance helicopter and an attack helicopter, not a pure AH.

IIRC, in AUS service, the Tigre is replacing the Kiowa OH-58 which was used as a reconnaissance helicopter.

SPIDER38

On ROPS
On ROPs
This is complete bollox as the French Army Air Corps has already used its Tiger HAP, a less advanced version of the Tiger, in dozens of combat actions over Libya, Afghanistan, Somalia, Mali and soon the Central African Republic as 2 Tigre HAD are soon going to reinforce Op Sangaris there.

If Aussie Tigers were not deployed to AFG, that has probably much more to do with either the political or the military command being a bit shy....

Vids of FRA Tigre in night combat actions:

In AFG:

In Mali:

the french did tell the aussies that they were being too picky about what they [the aussies wanted] but its a fact it was not used because the aussies deemed it not ready for night combat ops.

It has also had its fair share of problems including fumes in the cockpit ,dodgy cockpit glass ,it was also overdue and i recall it had very little in the way of ground simulation for training purposes .I cant be arrsed to google it however so i could well be wrong as usual.

I have seen on another forum that issues about an initially non specified cockpit lighting system did cause some delays; not sure about the other causes you mention. As for the night fighting capability, it was last demonstrated 9 days ago in Niger against an AQIM convoy and there was no complaint....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29576201

;)

Why not just buy in Apaches? Serious query btw
Different Job, the Tiger was conceived as more of a fast and agile armed scouter, I think its only the Germans that wanted a Tiger variant as a dedicated AH. Its also a damn site cheaper to operate as well.

Its had a troubled gestation but the words European and collaboration should point to where the problem lies, rather like Typhoon 90% of the issues and delays are the Germans Spanish and Italians not wanting to cough up the required cash.

Quote ( have seen on another forum that issues about an initially non specified cockpit lighting system did cause some delays; not sure about the other causes you mention. As for the night fighting capability, it was last demonstrated 9 days ago in Niger against an AQIM convoy and there was no complaint....) Quote

The lighting issue was NVG compatibility in all probability, get an incompatible light in there and it causes real mischief.

In 2015, the US Army will test, in France, the French rockets used on French Army Air Corps (ALAT) Tigre and produced by a Thales Group company.

These rockets were spotted by the US in AFG when used by ALAT Tigre; known in French as the "Système de Roquettes activées par induction (SRAI)" or Induction Activated Rocket System they seem to have a number of improvement over the rockets currently used by the US Army.

http://www.air-cosmos.com/2014/10/06/25812-les-roquettes-du-tigre-pour-l-armee-americaine

http://www.tda-armements.com/content/rockets-activated-induction

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/paris-air-show/2013-06-16/france-develops-smarter-rockets

Different Job, the Tiger was conceived as more of a fast and agile armed scouter, I think its only the Germans that wanted a Tiger variant as a dedicated AH. Its also a damn site cheaper to operate as well.

Its had a troubled gestation but the words European and collaboration should point to where the problem lies, rather like Typhoon 90% of the issues and delays are the Germans Spanish and Italians not wanting to cough up the required cash.
The Italians are not involved in the Tiger project, they have their own attack helicopter which has been in service since 1990:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agusta_A129_Mangusta

The Italians are not involved in the Tiger project, they have their own attack helicopter which has been in service since 1990:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agusta_A129_Mangusta
If you reread my second paragraph you will see I was referring to Typhoon not Tiger, although I concede I could perhaps have phrased it better.

Its had a troubled gestation but the words European and collaboration should point to where the problem lies, rather like Typhoon 90% of that aircrafts issues and delays are the Germans Spanish and Italians not wanting to cough up the required cash

If you reread my second paragraph you will see I was referring to Typhoon not Tiger, although I concede I could perhaps have phrased it better.

Its had a troubled gestation but the words European and collaboration should point to where the problem lies, rather like Typhoon 90% of that aircrafts issues and delays are the Germans Spanish and Italians not wanting to cough up the required cash
Sorry my mistake, clearly I stopped reading after "like Typhoon".

Hupra

Old-Salt
The main reason for getting ARH Tiger was due to its ability to be built (at least in part) by Australian Aerospace, whereas its competitors could not.

Most of its problems stem from the fact that the ARH was designed for the european climate, rather than a 40 degree day in Darwin...

tigre poussiere.jpg
tigre nh cougar.jpg

I find the temperature issue hard to believe since French Tigre conduct combat operations in the Sahel where temperature in places like the Adrar des Ifoghas can reach 70°C during the day....not to mention the fine flour-like sand....

I find the temperature issue hard to believe since French Tigre conduct combat operations in the Sahel where temperature in places like the Adrar des Ifoghas can reach 70°C during the day....not to mention the fine flour-like sand....
Altitude and Humidity can also play a part.
Whilst unable to comment specifically on the Tiger, I can think of a large number of aircraft (civ and mil) that whilst top performers in temperate climes have struggled in hot sandy places.

Latest Threads