Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Defense Force selects Boeing AH-64E Guardian to replace the Tiger

Both. It's lockdown. It's not like I'm driving anywhere.

It doesn't get any Gewürztraminer than this.

So you don't have a dog (Alsatian) in this fight?

This decision was made because they weren't satisfied with the GIAT 30. Recoil, Accuracy and Range weren't that what they expected. For some time they thought about putting Mauser's RMK 30, a much better weapon engineered by much better standards, on the Tiger but that sadly wasn't viable.
I dearly hope they come to an understanding with the Americans and replace the Tiger with a better working model like the AH-64E. Next in line would then be the NH-90 and maybe, just maybe they scrap this idiotic idea of a franco-german MBT.

Don't bother you won't use it anyway.

The Nexter cannon are so bad that the US selected it for the RAH 66 Comanche....before canning the whole project

No real cnut-off. Surrender monkey man takes himself to serious and is self-important beyond belief. Slap him a bit around the head, insult his shithole country, make some derogatory comments and he goes all teary eyed and fanatical. In the meantime I have a good laugh. Headology always works on this arrogant, plumped up Frogs.

The fantasy life of Mr Reserve NCO...

Don't bother you won't use it anyway.

The Nexter cannon are so bad that the US selected it for the RAH 66 Comanche....before canning the whole project
Now I am really abashed. I always thought General Dynamics was an American Company and the XM301 a derivate form the M197. Never thought that this counts to the great french achievments like (insert little village in Belgium here).

And to correct you again, we couldn't use it anyway. Engineered by french standards, with its (in)accuracy, its massive recoil and it's crap range you end up annihalating a village full of crippled, weak-headed black children instead of the guy with Alan's snackbar printed on his headband. Not everyone likes to act like the French in Vietnam or Algeria.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Pilgrim Progress. It's only 4 percent but it seems to be hitting home quick enough.

Also, salt and pepper Pop Chips. SWMBO discovered them. Really, really nice.

Got a curry for later. I'm going garlic chicken. And probably some more ale. Mebbes watch a film.

Look, this is what a real army does. It kills bad people instead of pretending to serve a purpose from 9 to 5 week-end and night excluded.

This was last week. A French commando unit was infiltrated by French NH 90 supported by a Tigre.
ErxTRQ_XcAYoZpP.jpeg

They located and destroyed a terrorist group. Maybe the same group which is holding a cherman hostage, who knows ?

The next day, same scenario. Bad people get killed again. NH90 and Tigre again. No issue with both.

ErxTa9dXAAAnTWY.jpeg

Meanwhile, the BW stays nice and warm in barracks, as usual.

Why would I give a shit about anyone in Africa, Australian or otherwise? The "French" soldiers probably wouldn't be French anyway.

Ask the american, dutch, south korean and others liberated by French SF in the Sahel in the recent years. They were liberated by French soldiers.

90 French soldiers died in Afghanistan, 66 of which KIA. The action was not limited to Helmand....

Indeed. Two of the soldiers being picked up in that video belonged to me. They say they won't hear a bad word said about French Army aviation, the gunship engagement came after the first attempt at extraction of the joint US/French unit had to be aborted due to excessive ground fire and air support requested. The Caracal you see lifting off was actively taking accurate small arms fire at the time. Apparently impacts can be heard over the engine/rotor noise, who knew. I also believe it was the first active engagement by French Tigres, they even sent us a copy of the DVD with the gun camera footage. They were quite chuffed.

The location of that engagement was near a small, very-hard-to-get-to-town called Badpash Galuch which was a pain in our side to both us and the French, being on the border between our AOs. You will recall the French got hit hard, losing ten soldiers killed in a single engagement in the Uzbin valley in that area the previous year. To give you an idea as to how active our area was, if you go east from the Uzbin valley (French AO), the Alishang valley (Our AO) had one of the most heavily mined stretches of road in the country, next to the Alingar valley to Nuristan, which was reasonably quiet except for a (suicidal) massed assault on a large American base, and the valley after that was the Korengal, famous for not being quiet at all and also being the site of the COP Keating fight.

The French (At least the blokes in Surobi) were absolutely not in a quiet part of the country.

As an aside, this was the local French base. When we were told that intel said that they were going to be attacked, our response was 'this, we have got to see'
102697172_3243282245711534_5833043899106765908_o.jpg

Last edited:
Look, this is what a real army does. It kills bad people instead of pretending to serve a purpose from 9 to 5 week-end and night excluded.

This was last week. A French commando unit was infiltrated by French NH 90 supported by a Tigre.
View attachment 539924

They located and destroyed a terrorist group. Maybe the same group which is holding a cherman hostage, who knows ?

The next day, same scenario. Bad people get killed again. NH90 and Tigre again. No issue with both.

View attachment 539925

Meanwhile, the BW stays nice and warm in barracks, as usual.
First of all a "real" army does what the elected government, the politicians tell them. If this ist staying in the barracks nice and warm it is fine by me.
Secondly if you really work from 9 to 5 you get a day's work done. Not lollygagging around, shirking your duty and your work, striking from 7 to 18 and getting pensioned off with 53. All well and good as long as others pay for the Club Med and it's leader, but that won't last forever.
So don't bore me with your stories of French heroism, I know only too well what it looks like. Part of my family descends from Huguenots.
71169364.jpg

First of all a "real" army does what the elected government, the politicians tell them. If this ist staying in the barracks nice and warm it is fine by me.
Secondly if you really work from 9 to 5 you get a day's work done. Not lollygagging around, shirking your duty and your work, striking from 7 to 18 and getting pensioned off with 53. All well and good as long as others pay for the Club Med and it's leader, but that won't last forever.
So don't bore me with your stories of French heroism, I know only too well what it looks like. Part of my family descends from Huguenots.
71169364.jpg

Resorting to a meme ? Are you 12 ?

It simply is to tedious. You could do that, you have a long and fine history of slapping french heads around, Crecy, Poitiers, Agincourt, Fuentes de Onoro, Salamanca, Agincourt. The list is long and you have hundreds of years experience in smashing frogs.
And don't forget Brexit.
Perhaps a joint operation would also make sense again.
Like Waterloo you mean. Good idea as long as we take all the credit again and just have you lot turning up at close of play like last time. A lot more believable though now after the ravages of Mutti and Tante Ursula inflickted on the Bundeswehr.

Last edited:
Pilgrim Progress. It's only 4 percent but it seems to be hitting home quick enough.

Also, salt and pepper Pop Chips. SWMBO discovered them. Really, really nice.

Got a curry for later. I'm going garlic chicken. And probably some more ale. Mebbes watch a film.
'Lost Command' with Anthony Quinn has just started on Freeview 41...

Latest Threads