Australian Defence Force Obese

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sierradelta, Feb 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More than 7500 of the ADFs 53,000 regular troops have been listed as being obese in the report released by the Surgeon General to the ADF.
    This is three times the figure released last month in a report on US forces.
    The ADF has now established a research unit based at the University of Queensland to investigate the causes.
    The Navy was listed with being the fattest followed by the Army then the Air Force

2. I wouldn't put too much into this. By the BMIs definition most of the worlds rugby teams are obese, verging on grossly obese. The word is very maligned and needs a new definition.

3. I thought along the same lines, but in 2006 the ADF lowered recruiting standards and started recruiting overweight applicants

4. The BMI system is very, very inaccurate. Even including waist measurement into the calculation, it can still throw up huge numbers of false negatives, for example the rugby players mentioned above.

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

So what? The UK started doing that a long time ago. "anybody can be moulded" blah blah blah.

And as before the BMI index used is crap for the type of physiques we often find in the army.

6. I'm not obese.I have big bones and a thyroid problem.

7. Exactly. I remember when it was first announced that the Army were going to be a bit more flexible with their desired BMI range reading an article pointing out that neither Martin Johnson or Jonah Lomu in their prime would have been allowed to join - madness. The use of the BMI at all has always struck me as a bit pointless. Surely if you are capable of running fast enough and for long enough while completing the required minimum number of press ups/sit ups etc then you should be allowed in as you are clearly fit enough, regardless of where you happen to fall on the BMI scale.

8. False positives, surely?

9. Just as a follow up the latest figures are that 150 troops were discharged in the last year for being obese

10. I know that there was a big article in yesterdays Courier Mail about aussie military personel being to fat, there has been a weight problem with police and service personnel here for years! Enoggera Barracks in Brisbane is known as the home of the Teletubbies and there is a Traffic police Unit in Redcliffe, who are so overweight they have to have specially strengthened and reenforced front seats in their patrol cars, its comical really getting pulled over by a couple of redfaced Cyril smith and Giant Haystacks lookalikes and thats just the WPC,s 8) I.m no 9 stone weakling but some of the flab mountains waddling around Queensland are real scary :lol:

11. Nignoy im LMAO, but lets not get started on the Constabulary. Here in New South Wales our local community liason officer(or whatever title he has) is a man mountain. I seriously doubt they have annual physical testing as there is no way he could pass.