Australian Bowman

Australian burglar shot with bow and arrow - BBC News

Having just read the above article it got me thinking. While a bow would be a bit wieldy in the house a small but fairly powerfull crossbow(or 2) would be a handy thing to have. It would appear that other than some age restrictions there is nothing to stop anyone in the UK buying one(no licence/permit required). It would make a lot less mess than the machette I keep tucked under the bed.

So long as you don't shoot an animal you can have enough to keep the zombie hordes at bay...

The Diggers haven't bought BOWMAN, then...

Short axel compound bow, draw aim loose as fast as your arms work.

Crossbow place on floor, foot in stirrup, grasp string with both hands and pull to cock it. Remove foot from stirrup pick up crossbow, select Quarrel place in crossbow bring up to aim remove safety..... fire.
Burgaler got bored and left

Short axel compound bow, draw aim loose as fast as your arms work.

Crossbow place on floor, foot in stirrup, grasp string with both hands and pull to cock it. Remove foot from stirrup pick up crossbow, select Quarrel place in crossbow bring up to aim remove safety..... fire.
Burgaler got bored and left
Things have moved on from the William Tell era.
upload_2016-11-7_20-5-30.png

At less than £20 it's on my christmas list.

View attachment 264151
I had one of those in the block a few years ago.

Someone was taking potshots down our corridor from the block opposite with an air rifle one afternoon (the fire exits faced each other), I sent a bolt back in the opposite direction and hostilities ceased.

Crossbow are fun, just sloooow
PicsArt_11-07-09.58.29.jpg

They have a suspect.
220px-Robin_Hood_2010_poster.jpg

View attachment 264151
It's a finned projectile propelled by a spring. It's not a very big spring as they go, so don't expect the range or penetration to be comparable to the medieval windlass-cocked crossbows, which were themselves the only alternative to the lifetime of practice required to become competent with the medieval longbow spring things.

You shouldn't store it strung, because that will usually knacker the spring. So you'd be fumbling around in the dark trying to string it in a hurry when you are burgled.

The only reason they used bits of springy wood, for medieval bows was because they didn't have any better materials to make springs from (GRP, steel, etc.). Also Columbus hadn't yet stumbled across America and they didn't have rubber.

s-l300.jpg

Things have moved on.

It's a finned projectile propelled by a spring. It's not a very big spring as they go, so don't expect the range or penetration to be comparable to the medieval windlass-cocked crossbows, which were themselves the only alternative to the lifetime of practice required to become competent with the medieval longbow spring things.

You shouldn't store it strung, because that will usually knacker the spring. So you'd be fumbling around in the dark trying to string it in a hurry when you are burgled.

The only reason they used bits of springy wood, for medieval bows was because they didn't have any better materials to make springs from (GRP, steel, etc.). Also Columbus hadn't yet stumbled across America and they didn't have rubber.

View attachment 264165

Things have moved on.

Crossbows are kept strung unless exposed for long periods to excess heat.
Compound bows are permanently strung, they require a bow press to work the string and cables.

I have mentioned my preferred home defence weapon on another thread on here - something that I have yet to acquire. At the moment there is a well planned placement of various items around my apartment, from fire extinguishers, to an African tribal club to a large selection of very sharp kitchen knives.

However I aim to buy a 3 foot long, black, rubber dildo.

I am a pretty well built kind of guy (like an mountain gorilla, even down to the body hair) - but even a nut job burglar might give it a go if he saw me wielding a kitchen knife.

However if he woke me in the middle of the night and saw me advancing, butt naked, clasping a 3 foot long rubber dildo and with a very angry expression on my face, I imagine even the most crystal meth addled mind would choose discretion rather than valour.

There is also the bonus that in any resulting trial the evidence presented to the magistrate would be brilliant "you beat him unconscious with WHAT?"

View attachment 264151
Thinking about this and now that we are in the technological age can't someone design a gas operated crosswbow? The idea is fit a gas cartridge not to propel that bolts but rather to operate the cocking and loading mechanism, a sort of semi auto crossbow then.

We could call in the SLC, in honour of the SLR, it would fire mighty bolts that would simply vaporise burglars.

Thinking about this and now that we are in the technological age can't someone design a gas operated crosswbow? The idea is fit a gas cartridge not to propel that bolts but rather to operate the cocking and loading mechanism, a sort of semi auto crossbow then.

We could call in the SLC, in honour of the SLR, it would fire mighty bolts that would simply vaporise burglars.
Parker Bows - Concorde Auto-Cocking Crossbow

You're welcome!

Damn, beaten to it again. Still, this lot have done a much better job than I could ever do by the look of it.

I'd think about asking for one for Christmas but I expect that Mumsnet will be trying to ban any such thing arriving on these shores, that is if they are allowed at all at present anyway.
I cant see any legal issues with it for the UK ,@scalieback is your man for firearms legal stuff.

Damn, beaten to it again. Still, this lot have done a much better job than I could ever do by the look of it.

I'd think about asking for one for Christmas but I expect that Mumsnet will be trying to ban any such thing arriving on these shores, that is if they are allowed at all at present anyway.
They're allowed. Until such time as the law changes post a crossbow massacre in the home counties.

Latest Threads