Australia PM slams US candidate

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6352785.stm

Why are Australian politicians suddenly taking the GOP line?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Why is the Aussie PM spouting off about the US candidacy?

As far as he should be concerned, if the US stays, so will the Aussies, and if the US pulls out, so will the Aussies.

He's not making any difference by saying it, and he's done himself no favours.

PTP: GOP??

3. Perhaps Howard is just looking after His guys who are in country

4. 'Grand Old Party'

Republicans.

Sven, then all he had to say was "Australia is America's ally" , not smear a Presidential candidate into the bargain.

Far more to this.

5. I don't really think He will suffer from the comment. The Aussies are still supporting Him, aren't they - He isn't in danger of losing his position, despite taking His country to war in support of the Americans

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Thanks PTP.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's annoyed some republicans into the bargain. If he said something similar about the Lib Dem hopefuls, both the left, right and them in the middle would be exceedingly annoyed.

I don't think it is political savvy.

7. I'm with PTP on this, there has to be more to it. Why hasn't he said anything about Clinton, she too has said she will withdraw troops. Plus Obama only said he will start the 'withdrawl process'.

8. It doesnt do Howard any favours why get involved in your allies election campaign never does anyone any good, and just shows Obama to be niaive by making his 20000 troop comment.

9. Sven, you don't need to jump in and defend him. He is an Australian Liberal; in other words a Tory and anti multi-cultural, an economic liberal and a "hawk" on GWAT. He is also a secret monarchist!

10. I will stick my neck out here and say that Obama will never get elected because he is black, and his name sounds too Arabic. Simplistic yes, cynical yes, but will anyone contradict me?

11. I think he was simply trying to defend a continuing Australian presence in Iraq and got a bit carried a way, probably because he has developed a taste for interventionist foreign policy as US deputy sheriff in the South Pacific.

He can get away with meddling in domestic politics in the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guinea, but not such a good idea in the USA...

12. Ironically, I suspect he may not be elected because he's not perceived to be African-American enough;he's had a very privileged up bringing, went to a top university,became a lawyer, and now a politician.

I wonder if Hillary will have the same appeal to the African American vote as Bill did? doubt it!

13. Not a very well kept secret then. :D

14. Sven, do you consider Howard to be God? Is that why you insist on capitalising "he"/"him"?

15. I think Obama is the best hope for the U.S. And Howard has only came across as a bit of a prick saying that. Obama made a fair reply by saying;

Howard just comes across as another of Bush's whipping boys, ready to defend him to the death, without listening to argument.