Australia PM slams US candidate

Australian PM John Howard has criticised US presidential hopeful Barack Obama for saying US troops should withdraw from Iraq next year.
His comments came soon after Mr Obama officially announced he would seek the Democratic Presidential nomination.

Mr Howard said al-Qaeda should be "praying as many times as possible" for an Obama victory in the 2008 elections.

But Mr Obama reacted by saying Australia should increase its troops in Iraq, if Mr Howard was so concerned.

----------------------------------------

If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory not only for Obama but also for the Democrats."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6352785.stm

Why are Australian politicians suddenly taking the GOP line?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Why is the Aussie PM spouting off about the US candidacy?

As far as he should be concerned, if the US stays, so will the Aussies, and if the US pulls out, so will the Aussies.

He's not making any difference by saying it, and he's done himself no favours.

PTP: GOP??

'Grand Old Party'

Republicans.

Sven, then all he had to say was "Australia is America's ally" , not smear a Presidential candidate into the bargain.

Far more to this.

Biped said:
Why is the Aussie PM spouting off about the US candidacy?

As far as he should be concerned, if the US stays, so will the Aussies, and if the US pulls out, so will the Aussies.

He's not making any difference by saying it, and he's done himself no favours.

PTP: GOP??
I don't really think He will suffer from the comment. The Aussies are still supporting Him, aren't they - He isn't in danger of losing his position, despite taking His country to war in support of the Americans

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
PartTimePongo said:
'Grand Old Party'

Republicans.

Sven, then all he had to say was "Australia is America's ally" , not smear a Presidential candidate into the bargain.

Far more to this.
Thanks PTP.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's annoyed some republicans into the bargain. If he said something similar about the Lib Dem hopefuls, both the left, right and them in the middle would be exceedingly annoyed.

I don't think it is political savvy.

I'm with PTP on this, there has to be more to it. Why hasn't he said anything about Clinton, she too has said she will withdraw troops. Plus Obama only said he will start the 'withdrawl process'.

It doesnt do Howard any favours why get involved in your allies election campaign never does anyone any good, and just shows Obama to be niaive by making his 20000 troop comment.

Sven said:
Perhaps Howard is just looking after His guys who are in country
Sven, you don't need to jump in and defend him. He is an Australian Liberal; in other words a Tory and anti multi-cultural, an economic liberal and a "hawk" on GWAT. He is also a secret monarchist!

I will stick my neck out here and say that Obama will never get elected because he is black, and his name sounds too Arabic. Simplistic yes, cynical yes, but will anyone contradict me?

I think he was simply trying to defend a continuing Australian presence in Iraq and got a bit carried a way, probably because he has developed a taste for interventionist foreign policy as US deputy sheriff in the South Pacific.

He can get away with meddling in domestic politics in the Solomon Islands or Papua New Guinea, but not such a good idea in the USA...

filthyphil said:
I will stick my neck out here and say that Obama will never get elected because he is black, and his name sounds too Arabic. Simplistic yes, cynical yes, but will anyone contradict me?
Ironically, I suspect he may not be elected because he's not perceived to be African-American enough;he's had a very privileged up bringing, went to a top university,became a lawyer, and now a politician.

I wonder if Hillary will have the same appeal to the African American vote as Bill did? doubt it!

Cuddles said:
Sven said:
Sven, you don't need to jump in and defend him. He is an Australian Liberal; in other words a Tory and anti multi-cultural, an economic liberal and a "hawk" on GWAT. He is also a secret monarchist!
Not a very well kept secret then. :D

I don't really think He will suffer from the comment. The Aussies are still supporting Him, aren't they - He isn't in danger of losing his position, despite taking His country to war in support of the Americans

Sven, do you consider Howard to be God? Is that why you insist on capitalising "he"/"him"?

I think Obama is the best hope for the U.S. And Howard has only came across as a bit of a prick saying that. Obama made a fair reply by saying;

HOWARD said:
“If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March, 2008, and pray as many times as possible for a victory, not only for Obama, but also for the Democrats,”
OBAMA said:
“I think it’s flattering that one of George Bush’s allies on the other side of the world started attacking me the day after I announced (my candidacy),” Senator Obama said. I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops in Iraq and my understanding is Mr Howard has deployed 1400. So if he is … to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them to Iraq, otherwise it’s just a bunch of empty rhetoric.”
Howard just comes across as another of Bush's whipping boys, ready to defend him to the death, without listening to argument.

Cuddles said:
Sven said:
You say monarchist like it's a bad thing.

hansvonhealing said:
Think you'll find 'Filthy', that 'Cuddles' was informing 'Sven'(or Sebastian, as I call him)that Howard is everything the Labour Party is not...
Exactly Hans...

Sven said:
As an Australian I am reasonably well qualified to comment on this. Howard is a Liberal (that is with a capital L); ie as stated by others, a social conservative. He is also all of three foot nine and has a severe Napoleon complex. My opinion of him is the equivalent of how most of you fellows feel about Blair. Thankfully this is an election year in Australia and he's currently trailing in the polls; with any luck he'll lose. If by chance he does win, then he'll likely step aside soon after in favor of the Treasurer, Peter Costello. Costello's deputy will likely be a man named Tony Abbott. Therefore by 2008 Australia may well be run by Abbott and Costello. It'll be a comedy, but a piss poor one.

Cuddles said:
hansvonhealing said:
Think you'll find 'Filthy', that 'Cuddles' was informing 'Sven'(or Sebastian, as I call him)that Howard is everything the Labour Party is not...
Exactly Hans...
You won't get an argument out of me on that score, chaps.

ps: God save the Queen.