Australia on fire

If they can do this gas and oil, if the gov't's willing am sure they run a water line alongside or something..

Fat chance. We've got large natural gas reserves of WA, yet I've been living in my home in NSW for 35 years waiting for them to run gas in our street. I could get it if I am willing to pay mega bucks for it.

We could be using that gas for emergency power generation during the hot Aussie summers that are becoming more and more frequent, yet the government has made it so that we have rolling blackout warnings every summer and also so that it is cheaper to sell gas to Japan and buy it back from them than it is to get it straight from WA.

F**k the bloody government for not doing anything for the good of the Australian people and choosing to sell out instead.

Pictures of the fire in the Namadgi National Park, Woden town centre in the middle distance of the first shot and Parliament House in the middle distance of the second:

View attachment 446443

View attachment 446444

More info here:

The first picture looks almost like a volcano.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
I still reckon my idea of a giant pipeline between QLD, NSW and VIC to ferry water around has merit.
You mean like the Murray River? Oh yeah, that's the one that the higher up landowners take as much as they can leaving the lower reaches like SA to suffer

Second article in that news link says the landing lights for one of its troop transport helicopters likely ignited a fire that flared up and engulfed the heli nearly killing the crew... What sort of landing lights must they be using if they can be a frigging heat source??

Helicopter 'engulfed in flames' in 12 seconds
Meanwhile, the military has provided more details about the incident that started the bushfire on Monday afternoon.

The Defence Department said yesterday that heat from the landing lights of one of its troop transport helicopters likely ignited the fire.

Twelve people were on board the aircraft when it used the lights to land safely in thick smoke while on a reconnaissance mission.

MRH-90 at sunset
Defence said one of its MRH-90 helicopters, normally used for troop transport, likely caused the fire as it was landing. (ADF)

Major-General Jake Elwood said today the event was "absolutely regretful".

"The helicopter came down to land and, within about 12 seconds, the aircraft was almost engulfed in flames," he said.

"If not for the actions of that crew, it would have been a very different outcome.

"And so the crew have done a wonderful job in saving everyone on-board that aircraft."

The army has suspended its use of the landing lights while it completes its investigation.

Second article in that news link says the landing lights for one of its troop transport helicopters likely ignited a fire that flared up and engulfed the heli nearly killing the crew... What sort of landing lights must they be using if they can be a frigging heat source??

Meanwhile, the military has provided more details about the incident that started the bushfire on Monday afternoon.

The Defence Department said yesterday that heat from the landing lights of one of its troop transport helicopters likely ignited the fire.

Twelve people were on board the aircraft when it used the lights to land safely in thick smoke while on a reconnaissance mission.

MRH-90 at sunset
Defence said one of its MRH-90 helicopters, normally used for troop transport, likely caused the fire as it was landing. (ADF)

"The helicopter came down to land and, within about 12 seconds, the aircraft was almost engulfed in flames," he said.

"If not for the actions of that crew, it would have been a very different outcome.

"And so the crew have done a wonderful job in saving everyone on-board that aircraft."

The army has suspended its use of the landing lights while it completes its investigation.
Do you think that Maj Gen Elwood's parents were Blues Brothers fans?

"But also coming under fire online was the Victorian government and its agencies for bowing to the wishes of Greens and reducing its planned burns in the Nowa Nowa area by roughly 97.5 per cent. "

We have similar issues here in California - We live in a desert ( that we irrigate to make more pleasant) and people are moving further into the boonies... then we are shocked that a fire wipes out remote communities or takes 10k firefighters weeks and scores of million dollars in fighting it.

Someone suggests back burning/vegetation mitigation/firebreaks and suddenly the Greenies are saying you might kill some birds and the CO2 released by fires is bad. Guess what - huge fires are bad too.

They tell me Climate change is causing the droughts ( Personally I disagree ) and back burning isn't possible due to being bad for the environment... so whats the answer? Some carbon tax probably...

Last edited:

MRH-90 at sunset

And yet we get told not to park cars in long dry grass because the heat from the catalytic converter could cause it to catch light.

This pic is from the local (ACT) RFS, via my daughter:

Image.jpeg

Time lapse photography of the Orroral Valley fire near Canberra:

Latest Threads