Australia on fire

Nothing is ever as simple as the media suggest.... For instance, isn't australia big cities expensive to live in. Whereas somewhere cheaper 50 miles up/down the coast is a lot cheaper. So you have more humans inhabiting an area that is lacking in the infrastructure to deal with the problems that flow from humanity.
The government is hell bent on cramming as many people into Aus as possible through high immigration rates as they have no ideas beyond "Keep house prices high". Tasmania is already experiencing growing pains from people unable to afford Melbourne heading over there, and QLD is growing exponentially from people leaving Sydney.

Sydney itself is running out of water, yet the government is building new suburbs out west outside the desal plant area. The LNP has just announced a major speeding spree to upgrade the desal plant faster as we're down to about 40% water left at Warragamba Dam. This is the same LNP who slagged off Labour for building it in the first place, then sold it off to a bunch of private contractors who let it rot.

They're also planning to open the Warragamba Dam flood plains for housing development (Remember the QLD floods? The NSW Government sure as hell doesn't).

The other great idea they had was forcing migrants out to country towns to stop the overload in the major cities. Just remember these country towns are running out of water faster than we are (in some cases, they are totally out) and don't have the infrastructure to support large intakes of people. A couple of these towns have been pretty much disappeared due to drought/bushfires.

The current LNP NSW state and federal government could do a heap of things to help this situation. Stop immigration just for the purpose of keeping housing high, stop looking after the high end of town and make companies pay their fair share of tax, put a halt to new mining operations that are guaranteed to **** up the ecosystem and destroy the country (Aldani). But this is the standard operating procedure for them.

Personally I reckon the best thing they could do is mass suicide.

Down near Alice springs there is a tribe that is totally distinguishable from all others. They actually have a recessive gene that gives them a red streak through their hair. Apparently some dirty Jock went through the ladies of the tribe and being a true blue skinned rust headed sweaty created lots of red streaked infants. At first I just though it was a fashion thing seeing most of them are true blackfellas. But no, it appears that the story above is true.
Didn't Spike Milligan say in one of his books he passed through a town of red haired Arabs during his WW2 adventures and gave the town the nickname "Ginger" or something like that?

Last edited:
I remember seeing one mixed race kid in Punta Gorda, Belize with a fine head of ginger hair.

and then I read this:

One million dollar fine for making the fire breaks too wide.

How wide should they be? No one can tell you.

The government is hell bent on cramming as many people into Aus as possible through high immigration rates as they have no ideas beyond "Keep house prices high". Tasmania is already experiencing growing pains from people unable to afford Melbourne heading over there, and QLD is growing exponentially from people leaving Sydney.

Sydney itself is running out of water, yet the government is building new suburbs out west outside the desal plant area. The LNP has just announced a major speeding spree to upgrade the desal plant faster as we're down to about 40% water left at Warragamba Dam. This is the same LNP who slagged off Labour for building it in the first place, then sold it off to a bunch of private contractors who let it rot.

They're also planning to open the Warragamba Dam flood plains for housing development (Remember the QLD floods? The NSW Government sure as hell doesn't).

The other great idea they had was forcing migrants out to country towns to stop the overload in the major cities. Just remember these country towns are running out of water faster than we are (in some cases, they are totally out) and don't have the infrastructure to support large intakes of people. A couple of these towns have been pretty much disappeared due to drought/bushfires.

The current LNP NSW state and federal government could do a heap of things to help this situation. Stop immigration just for the purpose of keeping housing high, stop looking after the high end of town and make companies pay their fair share of tax, put a halt to new mining operations that are guaranteed to **** up the ecosystem and destroy the country (Aldani). But this is the standard operating procedure for them.

The climate change obsessives, are fighting the wrong fire..... IF the UK population in the 80s was allowed to fall, then yes our GDP would have gone down, but also the impact on the environment. Rising population is the root of all our problems and yet, the same obsessives want to import millions more from the developing world to alleviate problems in those benighted countries and then ignore the impact it will have on the lucky countries like australia.

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Bushfire is a regular occurrence in Aus, has been since things have grown that can be burnt. I was also under the impression that there were official people stopping control burns which allowed the fuel to build up, I have recently read that this is incorrect and that the control burns are not being carried out because it is dangerous to do so. However what I think the thin dividing line between the two stories is that yes the control burns are not being carried out, but at the same time there are councils which do not permit people building houses in rural areas to create fire breaks and clear the areas around the house in order to "save the environment"

Control burns are one way of reducing fire loads, grazing animals and mechanical cutting are two other methods which no-one seems to have talked about yet. Grazing animals is, as far as I am aware, no longer permitted in national parks, as a result the fuel builds up.

And then there are these people:

Fined for illegal clearing, family now feel vindicated

Bushfire is a regular occurrence in Aus, has been since things have grown that can be burnt. I was also under the impression that there were official people stopping control burns which allowed the fuel to build up, I have recently read that this is incorrect and that the control burns are not being carried out because it is dangerous to do so. However what I think the thin dividing line between the two stories is that yes the control burns are not being carried out, but at the same time there are councils which do not permit people building houses in rural areas to create fire breaks and clear the areas around the house in order to "save the environment"

Control burns are one way of reducing fire loads, grazing animals and mechanical cutting are two other methods which no-one seems to have talked about yet. Grazing animals is, as far as I am aware, no longer permitted in national parks, as a result the fuel builds up.

And then there are these people:

Fined for illegal clearing, family now feel vindicated
Now now, these are the sort of appalling outlier arguments, which simply don't fit the lovely narrative being created. Its quite clear to the media that the great fires of australia, was gaias warning to mankind, just as 1666 great fire wasn't a baker, but a papist plot and Rome burning is down to those christian fellows, now pass me my harp, I feel like a tune.

From today's The Australian:

Bushfires: Victoria wide of mark on target burn-offs in 2019

Victoria carried out just over half the fuel reduction burns it planned in 2019, ultimately burning one-third of the public land that had been recommended by the Black Saturday bushfires royal commission.
The figures have been condemned by bushfire experts and landholders in fire-affected areas, with one accusing Victoria’s Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and the Andrews Labor government of trying to avoid accountability by moving from a hectare target to a less transparent “risk reduction target”.

An Andrews government spokeswoman on Wednesday said DELWP conducted 251 planned burns totalling 130,044ha in 2018-19, as well as applying “other fuel management methods” to 12,034ha.
The 130,044ha constitutes just 53 per cent of the 246,396ha of planned burns, and 34 per cent of the target recommended by the Black Saturday royal commission. A key recommendation of the 2010 commission, accepted by the Brumby Labor government at the time, was that the Victorian government significantly boost its level of fuel reduction from the then current annual level of 130,000ha, or about 1.7 per cent of public land, to 5 per cent of public land, or about 385,000ha.

The 2018-19 figures show DELWP did not even try to meet the commission’s recommendations in setting its target, with the 246,396ha of planned burns constituting just 64 per cent of the recommended 385,000ha.

While weather conditions have at times caused a cancellation of planned burns, some have also been hampered by green groups.

More at: NoCookies | The Australian

And an opinion piece from Maurice Newman also in today's The Australian:

Ideology won’t help anyone get through bushfire crisis

After decades of poor housekeeping, Australia’s latest devastating bushfires were predictable. Politicians and serving officials want to leave post mortems until the fires are out. Their instincts are correct.
That hasn’t stopped green advocates and the gullible from immediately linking them to Australia’s “inaction on climate change”. Climate experts as far afield as Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore and Swedish truant schoolgirl Greta Thunberg agree on the connection.

A coalition of retired fire chiefs, in what seems a closing-the-stable-door defence, claimed that last April it “knew that a bushfire crisis was coming” and nagged the government to invest in more resources. But, “fundamentally, (the government) doesn’t like talking about climate change”.

When Australia accounts for just 1.3 per cent of global emissions that proposition is plainly absurd.

Yet, for all the bluster, the only mention of climate change in five years of Fire and Rescue NSW annual reports is a reference to crews being encouraged to turn off all non-essential lights during Earth Hour, “joining millions of people worldwide in showing their commitment to tackling climate change’’.

For five years the Victorian Country Fire Authority didn’t mention climate change. Its priorities were “fairness” and “inclusion”, which it mentions 56 times.

Well may former fire chiefs blame climate change, but if they were so convinced of the connection between wildfires and global warming, why didn’t they publicly campaign for immediate, practical steps to reduce fuel loads in national parks? Surely they could have pushed their rural colleagues, government ministers, and department heads harder?

Victoria publishes limited data, but a planned hazard reduction of 370 hectares in East Gippsland was reduced to nine after protesters claimed it was “killing baby birds alive”. Much of East Gippsland is now a wasteland.

These days, it’s commonplace for national park entries to be blocked by boulders or chains and padlocks. Many fire trails are so overgrown that a sign identifying them is all that distinguishes them from the rest of the forest.

Against the advice of local brigades, the green firefighting hierarchy supported a wind farm amid prime agricultural land, rendering an existing airstrip unsuitable for water bombers. Aerial bombing is considered 40 per cent of the firefighting effort.

While Aborigines are free to clear their land without a permit, once it transfers to non-indigenous owners those rights are forfeited. There are heavy penalties, including jail, for those who clear their property without permission. Green tape and delays abound. Fires have destroyed some properties held up in this process.

So now the chickens are coming home to roost, with eastern Australian bushfires consuming an area approaching five million hectares. They have inflicted an unspeakable toll on human life, property, wildlife and livestock.

As weather patterns slowly return to normal and the fires are extinguished, there will be yet another government inquiry.

More money will be demanded, along with calls for additional jet tankers, even though there are few airfields from which they can operate. Money is needed, but alone it is not the answer. Much of it goes to the deskbound. For example, in the four years up to 2019, the NSW Rural Fire Service received a 78 per cent boost in funding, yet it oversaw a decline in volunteers and fire trucks.

There's more in the same vein at: NoCookies | The Australian

And the stupid woman who defeated the excellent Tony Abbott at the election in May last year is drafting a private member's bill which "will be modelled on the UK’s 2008 Climate Change Act which set out a legislative framework to transition the United Kingdom to a low-carbon economy." "The key features of the bill will be to provide a Climate Risk Assessment scheme for all major sectors of the economy such as health, agriculture, energy and transport."
"Ms Steggall has previously stated that she supports an emissions reduction target higher than the one Labor took to the 2019 federal election, which called for an emissions reduction target for electricity of 45 per cent by 2030."

FFS.

A much fuller version (if you can stomach it) at: NoCookies | The Australian

ThunderBox

On ROPS
On ROPs

You are all over the place with this post, hope alcohol was the cause!

Sydney isnt short on water.

My company run a Hydro Electric station South of Sydney which is part of the Sydney Catchment, Sydney is not running out of water. It is surrounded by the Blue Mountains, Snowy, Kangaroo Valley and many water resources, Sydney is fine, we are still pumping water into Sydney and allowing it to power our hyrdo scheme, there is water.

Yes we are on Level 2 and 3 coming Level 4 water restrictions, the restriction, dont water your lawn! FFS....this is a serious drought in Australia and we have not yet introduced Stand Pipes, just dont water your lawn.

As far as they crazy you go with imigrants and being forced anywhere, have you ever been to a rural town? There isnt an immigration problem in any Australian rural towns. The rural towns are shrinking as the children leave for the cities, name a rural town that has an immigration problem.

We dont even have a migrant problem, sure some nasty little pricks generate enclaves of Australian Somalia but these are in the cities, if you live here I am pretty sure you would know that if these scum landed in a rural town or a group of pikeys invaded, the locals (including the police or a blind eye) would ensure they didnt last a week.

Personally I recon your lone suicide is the best thing, Mr Sensitive.

You are all over the place with this post, hope alcohol was the cause!

Sydney isnt short on water.

My company run a Hydro Electric station South of Sydney which is part of the Sydney Catchment, Sydney is not running out of water. It is surrounded by the Blue Mountains, Snowy, Kangaroo Valley and many water resources, Sydney is fine, we are still pumping water into Sydney and allowing it to power our hyrdo scheme, there is water.

Yes we are on Level 2 and 3 coming Level 4 water restrictions, the restriction, dont water your lawn! FFS....this is a serious drought in Australia and we have not yet introduced Stand Pipes, just dont water your lawn.

As far as they crazy you go with imigrants and being forced anywhere, have you ever been to a rural town? There isnt an immigration problem in any Australian rural towns. The rural towns are shrinking as the children leave for the cities, name a rural town that has an immigration problem.

We dont even have a migrant problem, sure some nasty little pricks generate enclaves of Australian Somalia but these are in the cities, if you live here I am pretty sure you would know that if these scum landed in a rural town or a group of pikeys invaded, the locals (including the police or a blind eye) would ensure they didnt last a week.

Personally I recon your lone suicide is the best thing, Mr Sensitive.
I'm not saying rural towns have an immigration problem, if anything they need immigration as people pack up and head to the cities for the security of big city living. Thing is, do these towns have the jobs, water and resources to support these people and will they continue to have it in the future when the next drought comes along?

I don't have a problem with (most) migrants. First generation Aussie myself.

I'm against unsustainable immigration.

I'm interested in the water thing though. If we don't have a problem with water at the moment, why has the government just announced they are putting a shitload of money into the desal plant to fast track its upgrade?

Last edited:
Must be from when the Queens own Highlanders went through Belize in the 80's.
Could well have been, the kid would be about the right age. Saying that though I'm sure there where other gingers in units or attached personnel that were ginger but not Jockanese.

Maybe should use the Trump philosophy of "raking leaves" to prevent fires...

"We have a much different — we’re a forest nation.’ He called it a forest nation, and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things. "

Dicky Ticker

War Hero
Maybe should use the Trump philosophy of "raking leaves" to prevent fires...

"We have a much different — we’re a forest nation.’ He called it a forest nation, and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things. "
Well raking leaves and cutting back the dead grasses and clutter would help, it's that sort of dry tinder which catches the sparks and causes another fire. Left to collect on the ground this is what will spread the fire to new areas and allow it to catch a hold on trees and other fuel sources which are not quite so dry.

So perhaps, actually, whether you like it or not, the US President had a valid point.

Well raking leaves and cutting back the dead grasses and clutter would help, it's that sort of dry tinder which catches the sparks and causes another fire. Left to collect on the ground this is what will spread the fire to new areas and allow it to catch a hold on trees and other fuel sources which are not quite so dry.

So perhaps, actually, whether you like it or not, the US President had a valid point.
The brush chicken and Lyre birds normally do a good job here in Straya. We have a bird here in the NT called an Orange footed scrubfowl. They are known to scrape up leaves and debris for their nesting and they make huge nests up to 5m tall. Wildlife Profile - Orange-footed Scrubfowl, Darwin and Top End, Australia

Latest Threads