Australia: if the beer doesn't get you, the wildlife will.

Roos and Wombats can both write off a car, as Roos can get up to six feet tall hitting on of them at speed will smash in the front of the car and in some cases, especially low vehicles, end up in the front seat with you. Wombats are solid and can crack an axle or smash a sump when hit.

White tail spiders will cause your skin to die, red tail spiders will give you intense pain, and huntsmen spiders give you a heart attack when they suddenly appear in front of you....

The only thing that won't kill you are some of the sheep.....
You have attack sheep?

So it's look down for cane toads, bastard spiders (assorted), bastard snakes (ditto) at the same time as look up for killer bears?

Good to know and thanks for the clarification.
And look left and right for the hoop snakes. You think they're far enough away but look away and they've grabbed their tales and rolled over to meet you before you can look back

A couple of months ago up in New England we hit three roos in the space of 40km. The first two got masked by the bars. The third, a big **** off red, ended up under the front left wheel and we ended up bouncing off it and breaking the suspension. Of a Hilux.

Stags are a problem in Scotland but nothing like on the scale of roos in country New South Wales. There’s thousands of the ******* especially with the recent droughts. There’s plenty of farmers farming weeds and roos.
Of the two I prefer roo to deer. Roo meat goes down nicely on the barbie and is very lean. Venison is nice enough but is better for stews or roasts.

And before anyone complains about cooking skippy, they are classed as a pest in most states.

ugly

LE
Of the two I prefer roo to deer. Roo meat goes down nicely on the barbie and is very lean. Venison is nice enough but is better for stews or roasts.

And before anyone complains about cooking skippy, they are classed as a pest in most states.
Heathen, you obviously cant cook, venison is also very lean and the steaks are wonderful

Talking of deer, I was coming off night shift one night and driving back to Elgin when Bambi jumps out in front of the car and ricochets into the woods. I stopped to see if it was OK, and a mate who was just behind me stopped to see what the fuss was.

We found a dead young deer about 20 feet into the woods, and in a bit of shock decided I couldn't just leave it there so we picked it up and stuffed it into the boot of my car. Checking the front of the car there was a bit of a dent but nothing broken (well before crumple zones and plastic bumpers) so I drove the rest of the way into Elgin and decided I'd best report the accident to the plod.

I walked into the cop shop and told the grizzled old copper behind the desk I wanted to report an accident. He directed me to a side room and got his paperwork in order, then sat down opposite me and got out the required form. When he asked what had happened he just stopped, put his pen away and collected the forms saying "don't worry son, you don't have to report that".

At this point I asked what I should do with the carcass, "Where is it" says plod? "In the boot of the car" says I, "I can hardly put it out for the bins tomorrow the neighbours will complain".

He appeared to take pity on me and said that seeing as I had a bit of a dilemma he would help me out by disposing of the body, so we trooped out to the car park and he helped me get the dead deer out the boot and put it in a garage round the back of the station.

The next night I went in to work and my mate asked what had happened. I explained everything and he had this facepalm moment and told me the local butchers had a 24 hour hot line for road kill like that and probably would have given me 50 quid for it.

ugly

LE
Road kill venison is risky, not only is the meat tenderised but often the gut bursts spoiling the meat. Add the risk of a vets lethal injection and its best left alone!

ugly

LE
Have you tried rare Roo steaks? I used the thin the same about Venison which I could cook rather well thank you.
We can get roo and gator steaks here in Booker.

I’m partial to tail fillet. Hard to butcher but once you’ve got a nice fillet, roll it around in some herbs and give it a quick flash on the barbie. Enough to stop it skipping and no more.

Years back, I used to get a lift down from Brisbane to Beaudesert at sparrows fart. My mate used to stop at every road kill and take the tail. Get to work and there’d be a dozen or so in the boot. All destined for a bush ticker restaurant in the city. Can’t do it now of course.

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Feck me. I thought we had dangerous wildlife down here in Oz. Remind me not to go to Booker for a holiday. Not if they’ve got gators running wild.
No worries mate. Booker is a cash and carry. All well dead, diced, filleted and packed ready to do with as you wish.

Latest Threads