Australia has a sensible idea

Seriously, you don't want any political advice from Australia- the place is a political joke and a laughing stock.
5 PMs in 5 yrs should set your alarm bells ringing slightly.
I agree with the EU "predicament" above too.
£24-30m per day could have come in useful considering the amount of people on their arse in the UK.

I never knew the Australians had an LPD but then thought how jolly British Oh look HMAS Canberra is equipped for, but doesn't have, fixed wing ac. I see the Spanish class the Juan Carlos1 as an aircraft carrier as opposed to an LPD according to wiki.

I never knew the Australians had an LPD but then thought how jolly British Oh look HMAS Canberra is equipped for, but doesn't have, fixed wing ac. I see the Spanish class the Juan Carlos1 as an aircraft carrier as opposed to an LPD according to wiki.
Since she's classed as a Landing Helicopter deck fixed wing aircraft seem unnecessary....

Seriously, you don't want any political advice from Australia- the place is a political joke and a laughing stock.
5 PMs in 5 yrs should set your alarm bells ringing slightly.
I agree with the EU "predicament" above too.
£24-30m per day could have come in useful considering the amount of people on their arse in the UK.
Oh dunno. Being able to sack ones pm after a year sounds good....

How do they get the tanks out then?
Wah shield down. Possibly in the 2 LPDs they have that you mentioned above. Wah shield up.

Other than that the same way other countries get their vehicles around the world- Ro-ros.

PS: the reason they kept the ski jumps was the cost of having to re-design the ships.

I was trying to understand the differences in classes of Ampibious Assault Ships as they all seem to do the same thing LPD, LPH. LHD, LHA etc
In this case what makes the Juan Carlos 1 an aircraft carrier and the RNAS Canberra a LPH when they are the same design as far as I can tell it is just the lack of fixed wing.

Oh dunno. Being able to sack ones pm after a year sounds good....
The citizens didn't mag to grid the PMs, the establishment got rid of the PMs.
It would be refreshing for people to have a say in a supposed democracy but that'll never happen as it's your job to STFU and pay taxes. That's the limit of any democracy.

I was trying to understand the differences in classes of Ampibious Assault Ships as they all seem to do the same thing LPD, LPH. LHD, LHA etc
In this case what makes the Juan Carlos 1 an aircraft carrier and the RNAS Canberra a LPH when they are the same design as far as I can tell it is just the lack of fixed wing.
Because after America and then France, Spain can claim to being the third Western Navy with an aircraft carrier... The Italians being placed fourth.

Last edited:
But you see the % of GDP that the budget will increase to is what the UK spends now so is there anything to learn?
A government that's not afraid to say " You know what, we got defence spending wrong, it's too low, we need to spend more as the world is not a safe place and we can see possible threats"

I do wonder how they can afford this expenditure given the economy is in free-fall on the coat-tails of teh China down-turn.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I do wonder how they can afford this expenditure given the economy is in free-fall on the coat-tails of teh China down-turn.
They are very choosey as to who they let in, so they are not over populated, there services aren't stretched to breaking point. I like the way Australia sticks up for itself.
Our politicians should take a leaf out of their book.

Last edited:
The citizens didn't mag to grid the PMs, the establishment got rid of the PMs.
It would be refreshing for people to have a say in a supposed democracy but that'll never happen as it's your job to STFU and pay taxes. That's the limit of any democracy.
Australian democracy is similar to UK democracy in that we do not have a Presidential system. Voters in Australia or the UK only vote for their local member and State Senators. The Prime Minister is usually the leader of the political party that can command a majority of votes in Parliament.

Political Parties in the UK and Australia can have a leadership spill or election (as the UK calls it) at any time the party leadership no longer enjoys the confidence of party members.

Which is exactly what happened to Margaret Thatcher in 1990.

The "Establishment" did not get rid of anyone.

It would be refreshing for people who fancy themselves as political pundits to actually understand the system that they are commenting on.

It is not a bad white paper.

Lifting the Defence budget to 2% in these times is smart and sensible.

It will probably receive bi-partisan support. Kim Beazley came out in support of it today. Steven Conroy shadow defence minister has given the government strong support regarding the militarisation of the South China Sea by China.

It is a good news week for National security, especially with the appointment of Brigadier Andrew Nikolic to chair the parliamentary joint committee on intelligence and security.

Nikolic has an awesome CV.

There are probably some ARSSER's who have met him.

Its a really great shopping list, but it relies heavily on the Ozzies finding lots of whinging poms and yanks to come and man the kit in the first place. The ADF are an utterly awesome bunch of people, but they rely very heavily on expat 2nd career military coming to live on the pension and bolstering their ranks. They've had major manpower problems with the existing 6 SSK fleet, so god alone knows how they'll find crews for 12.

Good luck - I predict a significant scale back within a few years as it becomes clear how expensive this will be...

ugly

LE
They will do what any good country does and invade a neighbour!