Australia Foils Terrorist Attack?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stameen_s, Nov 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4416254.stm

2. Good on them. I was wondering how good their int services are.

3. Interesting that last week as the Govt were rushing through the amendment to the law necessary to make these arrests there was a degree of winging by some members on this site about draconian laws and loss of rights. The Chief Commissioner of Victorias Police says the Commonwealth games were not a target. With 110,000 people packed into the MCG watching the Games I hope they are not a target but it gives me a warmer feeling knowing that the security services can act early to ensure that risk is reduced.

I doubt these will be the last arrests either.

4. You've got to admire John Howard's timing on this one. Terror laws come in and bingo! Seventeen arrests, one shooting and more to come. Stay tuned on this one.

5. Independent headline:

"Fascist Australian government clamps down on vibrant expression if islamic culture".

6. Personally speaking, I think that the ringleader going on Australian TV and saying he thought Osama Bin Laden was a great bloke was a bit of a tactical error on their part.

7. Good point Neuro. His 'band of brothers' didn't register too highly on the scale of street smart. The Bill passed last week only gained momentum when the PM sated publically that this group of fanatical bearded wonders was planning an attack and he needed the Bill to stop them. The terrorists cheerfully chose to ignore this loud public warning thinking that surely he meant another group and continued on with their preparations.

Unfortunately, because the attack had not been executed most will be up for 10 years although the wankir who tried to shoot the Police and was himself shot will likely serve Her Majesty longer. On the day of release they and their families should have their citizenship recinded and they should be deported back to the shit hole they originally escaped, seeking the safe and quyiet life in Australia. Maybe this will prove a deterent to asperant suicide bombers, knowing that their families will be held accountable for their actions.

Now if Johnny Howard could arrange for a few Illegal Immigrant boats to be torpedoed before Friday it will set the weekend up nicely.

8. Quote:
    On the day of release they and their families should have their citizenship recinded and they should be deported back to the s*** hole they originally escaped, seeking the safe and quyiet life in Australia.

Trouble is, the sh*t hole they escaped from might be the UK.

Edited to make clearer that the first paragraph is a quotation.

9. This will be interesting to revisit. Its always a bit suspciious that the arrests are timed so close to the bill. Also nice timing to announce this when chummy Blair needs all the support he can to push through a 90 day detention bill.

I am not familiar with the Bill, but does it by any chance give powers to arrest people whithout charging with a specific crime or applying somelower level of proof??

If you were plannign a terrorist act would youreally include someone visibly unpopular and identifuiable as a "Abu Bakr, an outspoken Algerian-Australian cleric ?"

This is worth revisiting in 3 months to see what progress is actiually made -or is it like some of the British operations a nicely timed stunt?