Australia expands military

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by eveyoz, Aug 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/extra-2600-troops-for-army/2006/08/24/1156012657481.html

2. HM Government, take note please!

3. Yet again the ozzies gov puts ours to shame.

On a lighter note who fancies moving Down under after the next "strategic defence cut"?

4. Pleanty of promotion opportunities for good NCO's in Aus then.

I hope they maintain the standard, the Aussies I know are superb.

5. They need to. Have a look at those who are leaving HMF for the Aussie Army. And some aren't even waiting for their gratuity.

6. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Holiday (ie recce) taking place next year. Then just have to persuade Mrs untall that the dogs will like it there as much as we will!

7. Got that angle sorted already untallguy... Proper Planing and all that.

8. Now that is interesting news. 4,100 extra soldiers in 4 years. Would that our own government had the same sense! But it never will. For a start, the Aussie govt is what we would call conservative. More importantly than that though, the PM is famously prepared to tackle political ivory towers. This is the bloke who led the charge against political correctness and imposed the current stringent immigration rules.

So, there we have it. No chance of that ever happening up here. Up politico's are talking the same language and have, broadly speaking, the same agenda (don't cut taxes, impose green taxes, trust EU, increase our own expense allowance etc!)

Just as well I am leaving the Army and the country for Australia then!

9. F**K me......

John Howard for Prime Minster UK anyone...?

10. Before you all get too loved-up on him, I suggest you take a goosey at the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act 2005, highpoints of which include:

Significant restrictions on the right of any citizen to express certain opinions: including criticism, or "urging disaffection", of the sovereign, the constitution, the government, the law, or 'different groups'; exemptions may exist where the target of criticism is agreed to be 'in error'; exemptions appear to exist where the claim is that a feature of a group of people is in some way offensive to the mainstream of society; onus of proof of goodwill is on the defendant - the presumption is not of innocence.

Potential for short term detention for named individuals: without evidence; and without criminal involvement; the detainee may be interrogated by ASIO; disclosing that an individual has been so detained or interrogated is, in almost all circumstances, a crime.

So, if you're locked up and they tell, say, your partner, your partner cannot then go and tell your parents where they've disappeared to (for up to 2 years, I think) because they may themselves end up in prison by doing so, nor can you criticise the law under which you and your partner were held as you would be liable for more jail time.

Makes Blair look practically Hippy-like, if you ask me.

11. Regardless of Howard's other policies it's good news for the Aussies that their government recognises an increase in committments and is prepared to recruit and upsize accordingly. Unfortunately we're stuck with our greedy, incompetent fools who wouldn't recognise overstretch if it slapped them in the face.

12. Imagine expanding your military capabilities in a time when the world is at war.

Madness, they must be stopped before those bloodthirsty mentally deficient (but not in a good special olympics way) soldiers go and start burning orphanages!

13. *Drops the burning orphan*

You mean we shouldn't have started yet? Bugger.

14. Keep your ear to the ground, my bet is that they will recruit from the UK. :thumright:

15. Should also add that the forward looking Aus air force took a decision to retrofit Aus Hercs with explosive suppressant foam before RAF Herc was shot down in 2005. This was in response to threat assessments in the Middle East. They appear to want to do the best for their servicemen. Congrats again Mr Howard.