Australia expands military

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/extra-2600-troops-for-army/2006/08/24/1156012657481.html

Extra 2600 troops for Army
August 24, 2006 - 4:00PM

Prime Minister John Howard has announced an extra 2,600 personnel for the army, saying Australia will face challenging situations in the next two decades.

The new places are in addition to the 1,500 further personnel to be recruited under another army initative announced last year.

"This country faces ongoing, and in my opinion increasing, instances of destabilised and failing states in our own region," said Mr Howard.

"I believe in the next 10 to 20 years Australia will face a number of situations the equivalent of, or potentially more challenging than, the Solomon Islands and East Timor."

Two new battalions would be established in two stages, with one eventually to be based in Adelaide and the other in south-east Queensland.

Raising the first battalion would cost about $6 billion over 11 years, Mr Howard said. The cost of the two would be around $10 billion, he said.

Mr Howard said the first new battalion would be a mechanised unit and the other would be light infantry.

Mr Howard said soldiers' pay and conditions needed to keep pace with society's expectations and compete with other opportunities open to possible recruits.

He admitted there were many factors involved in recruiting new soldiers.

"We do need to lift our effort in that (recruitment) respect, we do believe as a result of the discussions that have been undertaken that progress and ground can be made up in relation to that," he said.

The 2,600 new troops represented a "huge additional commitment" by the government.

Mr Howard said the first new battalion would be manned by 2008 and ready for overseas deployment by the end of 2010.

Mr Howard said he would like to see a greater connection between school cadets and careers in the military.

He said that in earlier times there was a good deal more encouragement for children to join the services from schools.

Mr Howard said a significant proportion of the population believed in the "traditional values of the military'' and they should be encouraged to seek out a career in the services.

Howard was a cadet in the Air Training Corps at Canterbury Boy's High back in the 1950s.

AAP

Yet again the ozzies gov puts ours to shame.

On a lighter note who fancies moving Down under after the next "strategic defence cut"?

B

Biscuits_AB

Chalky said:
HM Government, take note please!

They need to. Have a look at those who are leaving HMF for the Aussie Army. And some aren't even waiting for their gratuity.

untallguy

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
tothepubandbeyond said:
Yet again the ozzies gov puts ours to shame.

On a lighter note who fancies moving Down under after the next "strategic defence cut"?
Holiday (ie recce) taking place next year. Then just have to persuade Mrs untall that the dogs will like it there as much as we will!

Got that angle sorted already untallguy... Proper Planing and all that.

Now that is interesting news. 4,100 extra soldiers in 4 years. Would that our own government had the same sense! But it never will. For a start, the Aussie govt is what we would call conservative. More importantly than that though, the PM is famously prepared to tackle political ivory towers. This is the bloke who led the charge against political correctness and imposed the current stringent immigration rules.

So, there we have it. No chance of that ever happening up here. Up politico's are talking the same language and have, broadly speaking, the same agenda (don't cut taxes, impose green taxes, trust EU, increase our own expense allowance etc!)

Just as well I am leaving the Army and the country for Australia then!

Kitmarlowe said:
F**K me......

John Howard for Prime Minster UK anyone...?
Before you all get too loved-up on him, I suggest you take a goosey at the Australian Anti-Terrorism Act 2005, highpoints of which include:

Significant restrictions on the right of any citizen to express certain opinions: including criticism, or "urging disaffection", of the sovereign, the constitution, the government, the law, or 'different groups'; exemptions may exist where the target of criticism is agreed to be 'in error'; exemptions appear to exist where the claim is that a feature of a group of people is in some way offensive to the mainstream of society; onus of proof of goodwill is on the defendant - the presumption is not of innocence.

Potential for short term detention for named individuals: without evidence; and without criminal involvement; the detainee may be interrogated by ASIO; disclosing that an individual has been so detained or interrogated is, in almost all circumstances, a crime.

So, if you're locked up and they tell, say, your partner, your partner cannot then go and tell your parents where they've disappeared to (for up to 2 years, I think) because they may themselves end up in prison by doing so, nor can you criticise the law under which you and your partner were held as you would be liable for more jail time.

Makes Blair look practically Hippy-like, if you ask me.

Regardless of Howard's other policies it's good news for the Aussies that their government recognises an increase in committments and is prepared to recruit and upsize accordingly. Unfortunately we're stuck with our greedy, incompetent fools who wouldn't recognise overstretch if it slapped them in the face.

Imagine expanding your military capabilities in a time when the world is at war.

Madness, they must be stopped before those bloodthirsty mentally deficient (but not in a good special olympics way) soldiers go and start burning orphanages!

Imshi-Yallah said:
Imagine expanding your military capabilities in a time when the world is at war.

Madness, they must be stopped before those bloodthirsty mentally deficient (but not in a good special olympics way) soldiers go and start burning orphanages!
*Drops the burning orphan*

You mean we shouldn't have started yet? Bugger.

Should also add that the forward looking Aus air force took a decision to retrofit Aus Hercs with explosive suppressant foam before RAF Herc was shot down in 2005. This was in response to threat assessments in the Middle East. They appear to want to do the best for their servicemen. Congrats again Mr Howard.

The Aussie PM stole the RAAF 707 that was due to fly us back from Long Look in 2001 shortly after 11/9. We were forced to suffer an 11 day delay in Sydney in Randwick Barracks.

Vote Howard !!

Although I'd love to see our Armed forces scaled up, I'm not sure it would work in practice. Aren't we having problems filling up our current regiments to strength? It seems that there simply aren't enough people out there wanting to join the Army anymore and so what would be the point in creating new units if there was nobody to man them?

eveyuk said:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/extra-2600-troops-for-army/2006/08/24/1156012657481.html

Extra 2600 troops for Army
August 24, 2006 - 4:00PM

Howard was a cadet in the Air Training Corps at Canterbury Boy's High back in the 1950s.

AAP

Ours was a consciencious objector to the CCF at public school. That never gets pinned to the bottom of UK defence and foreign affairs news items.

Invisible man I am not sure if you are having a giraffe with your post, but please read the following sentence again.

Mr Howard said soldiers' pay and conditions needed to keep pace with society's expectations and compete with other opportunities open to possible recruits.

By expanding army and improving pay you would reduce the op rotations and put some well earned extra dosh in the back pocket. And you would be on the way to improving retention and recruitment. Catch my drift?

Latest Threads