Australia bans the Beret?

Travelgall

MIA
Kit Reviewer
Looks like the Chief of the Army needs to learn to play golf to fill is considerable spare time. I know the Breadstealers are traditionally associated with Slouch Hats but I feel for them loosing their more comfy head dress. Sorry Aussies, hope this changes for you again soon. My suggestion, write to the Queen C/O Harry Windsor and see if she agrees.

The driving force behind this is (allegedly) the RSM-A. He made his views very clear to us on a course last year.

The official blur says Slouch hats are traditional head gear for the Australian Army, however the RAAC has worn berets since it was formed - also some shite about skin cancer, I find factor 50 works fine.

A very good reason for the British Army NOT to have an RSM-A in my view.

"Sir, there's fifty thousand armed Taliban coming over the hill!"
"Okay, lad. And get yer floppy hat on. Don't want you getting sunburned."

The driving force behind this is (allegedly) the RSM-A. He made his views very clear to us on a course last year.

The official blur says Slouch hats are traditional head gear for the Australian Army, however the RAAC has worn berets since it was formed - also some shite about skin cancer, I find factor 50 works fine.

Well the RSM-A is full of sh*te.

Some questions:-

1. What was the mix of headdress at Gallipoli? - slouch hats, JNCOs with the soft field cap and Officers with a cap per chance RSM. Or is the RSM -A referring us to an earlier heritage - white sun helmets RSM?????

2. How much more skin protection does the current Aussie helment provide then or are they only worried about skin cancer when cutting about in barracks or on parade, cos you don't get skin cancer in the field wearing a helmet with no brim?

W@nkers

Nice one Nige. Completely agree. The decision has obviously been made by people who completely misunderstand the traditions of many regiments and corps. Not only RAAC are up in arms but I am sure 3 RAR, AAAvn and RACMP might be pissed off too!

RSM-Armoured is about to be launched by us.

''I look forward to Defence Science and Technology Organisation being employed to design hat racks for tanks, light armoured vehicles and Tiger helicopters.''

What on Earth? What are you going to need them for when you pull out in Mid-October? Aborigines getting uppity?

''I look forward to Defence Science and Technology Organisation being employed to design hat racks for tanks, light armoured vehicles and Tiger helicopters.''

What on Earth? What are you going to need them for when you pull out in Mid-October? Aborigines getting uppity?
What are you on about?

Whilst 3 RAR and A BTY remain in the Parachute role I am sure we will not be seeing them move from maroon berets to slouch hats.
Maroon slouch hats? I wear a rather natty one on the beach over here in PomLand. I'm sure matching Regimental corks-on-string will go down well too.

The basis of the directive seems to be OH&S - protection from Sunlight. The previous directive re: Berets was similar. The 'it's the traditional headdress' line was trotted out, but the guts of the justification seemed to be safety. Thankfully, the last directive had a loophole, namely that berets could be worn at the CO's discretion, as long as sunscreen was provided if it was sunny.

Alas, now it's a blanket ban, save for ceremonial occasions.

It is complete bollocks. The slouch hat is mostly a barracks item anyway, except for when you're on parade. Any other time, you're going to be wearing a helmet or a bush hat. Felt and leather is just too hot (and too inconvenient) to work in.

Clever will back me up on this (or laugh at me - we've just been laughing at how drunk I am on bookface).

RSM-A is a ****. CA is too. Have those fcuksticks not considered that us chocks parading on a Tuesday night don't get sunburnt by the Moon? Heritage? OK dicklicker - explain to me how the Regt I have just left wore stable belts from Victorian times (pre-dating the fcuking country, let alone our pissant little joke of an Army) until 1996 ... apparently stable belts are a menace and a UV threat too ....

RSM-A & CA are AIF - fetishists. Apparently we're no longer a professional, regimental amry - we're an AIF reenactment club.

I'm on a course at the moment, feeling the love at Bandi. Most of the young recently-graduated 'Cordies' have bought blue ferrets and plonked the corps hat badge on them, can't wear them yet, hoping that RSM-A and CA get hit by a bus this weekend.

Maroon slouch hats? I wear a rather natty one on the beach over here in PomLand. I'm sure matching Regimental corks-on-string will go down well too.
I think you might have started something, how about the para boys wearing maroon slouch hats (hats) with little plastic plummeting men dangling off the brim.
'Them' could wear sandy coloured ones with a handy black rectangle hanging from the brim over their eyes just like in all the photos.
The possibilities are endless.

I don't disagree Timmy - discussion at a dinner last night lead to the subject of berets (and by association my Tam o'Shanter, which is classed the same way). Apparently the RSM-A was made to look like a proper cnut a couple of weeks ago in relation to this. He was asked why, if the Cavalry had introduced the slouch hat and the beret to the Australian Army, should they not be given a choice as to which they should wear? The reply was to the effect of, "well, the slouch hat is our traditional headdress, and all units will wear the same slouch hat."

When queried whether his old unit, 1 RAR, would be loosing their green pugaree, he seemed at a loss.

You're quite right about the AIF reenactment club. I wouldn't be surprised if the result of the current uniform revue would see us going back to a WWI-esque uniform. But made of polyester on the cheap, of course.