Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by GwaarSoldier, May 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hey guys. looking for some advice.

    My regiment has a few Aussies working in it. im trying to find out if i could do and exchange over there for 6months so would like to know if anyone knows how to go about it or knows anyone who's done it. Wrote to the Embassy in London, was told to fcuk off. went to Oz on holiday and dropped in the AFCO and was told it's well common to do it and it aint too much of a problem and was told to talk to my unit about it. They aint been too helpful about it. :? Have a cousin who's and officer in the army over there. think that'd help?
  2. My TA Regt had an Aussie Officer attached on exchange whilst he was working in the UK, he's now gone back down under, so it's certainly possible to do it that way round. I hope therefore that it would be possible the other way.
  3. I am sure that there is an auzzie exchange programme somewhere. I am sure someone in 31 Sigs did it admittedly some years ago (mid to late 90's). I am sure it involved more than a 2 weeks exchange, but unfortunately my little brain cell has been swimming in vast quantities of bombay gin and keeps forgetting things. Ring the chief clerk up at 31, he is a mine of information and he will know what to do and where to do it.
  4. Used to be an Aussie/Brit exchange scheme called ex long Look.
  5. There are some formalised reservist exchange programmes that have now been set up and signed by the two MODs.
    Certainly the UK-Canadian programme is in effect and, I thought, the UK-Australian one had been signed as well.

    There is a LONDONS officer serving with the US ArNG, and an Australian officer and a Canadian officer serving in the LONDONS.

    You are probably best bypassing the unit and going to DRFC as they are most likely to know the answer.
  6. Are there any work permit issues with regards t0 his sort of thing? The reason why I ask: about ten years back I was working with a load of aussie and kiwi builders in London. They never bothered with all the work permits and such, so in theory were illegal immigrants. Amazingly quite a few of them were in our TA as well. Britain was not, by any means, fussy about visas etc around about that time. The situation was alot different if you wanted to go to their countries and work.
  7. May have changed but in 1993 I took leave of absence and went to Oz when my girlfriend went home. Ended up in Sydney and wanted to play so spoke to the unit there I wanted to train with (4/3 Royal New South Wales Reg) and then spoke to the Adjt in London. This put in chain the approval from HQ UKLF then MOD who advised Australian Dept of defence and Land Command Australia who then advised the Unit. Took a couple of months but once that all happended I was allowed to play. Kept a record of all training days and had that signed off by them before I came home so I could put in a nice large pay claim :lol: They also wrote a report on me for my UK file and because I had trained across two training years I didnt even miss bounty.

    My advice is if you can work out who you want to serve with before you go and get the initial agreement from this end (ie Adjt, TM, CO) then it may help speed the process up.

    Shouldn't make any difference to work permits as assume you would be going as a working holidaymaker rather than a migrant. Back then I also asked them about a direct transfer but they got a arrsy about having to hold an Australian passport.

    Overall a very good experience, at the time I thought they were well motivated troops with a very good esprit de corps and ethos who have limited resources available as they have no real threat (will depend if you are up North or not). Also very odd to be able to walk about the streets in uniform on your way to/from the TA Center as no terrorist threat either.
  8. Don't know about other countries, but in the UK members of "home armed forces" are exempt from immigration control, work permits, etc. This apparently covers TA when under training.
  9. I suppose this would apply when we have someone coming this way as we are not technically their employers but would have thought they are still subject to some form of immigration control as they are not an EU citizen so would still require a visa and entry clearance etc.

    Going the other way I am certain I was subject to immigration even though I was at the time the common law spouse (which is recognised there) of an Australian.
  10. Sorry for the confusion. My reply was to the original post, where the guy said there was a few aussies in his TA unit. I was just pointing out that they may not have been on exchange from their own forces, but may in fact have joined the British Reserve Forces over here even on tourist visas.
  11. We have a Kiwi reserve officer who's just joined. They were travelling over here and asked through their consulate. Our unit was asked if we wanted them, interviews etc and on board.
  12. Someone mentioned to me a while back that there is an official scheme by which UK Reserves can serve up to 3 years with Aussie/NZ reserve units - after that you have to make the choice to transfer or not. You stay in UK forces and get paid as such. Reciprocal arrangements also apply.
  13. There was a DCI issued to cover training with NATO/Commonwealth countries. I haven't seen an in date copy, the copy I saw was a 2001 release.
    With permission of your Brigade it allowed a soldier to carry out up to 70 days training over a 24 month period. Individual MTD sheets were submitted and sent back to the soldiers parent unit to be paid in the normal way. From memory it allowed someone working abroad to stay in the TA and stay current. I'm sure Aus and NZ were included on the list of countries.