Aussies return wrong body to family

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OiOi, Apr 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC website...

BBC News

How bad is that?

2. "He was doing something other than handling his firearm and in the process of fiddling about with the other equipment he had, it would appear, that in some way he's knocked his gun and it's discharged," The Age reported him as saying.'

Can that actually happen?

3. Unbelievable. Interesting cause of death fiddling with his rifle...sounds like he topped himself to me. However a tragedy for his wife I expect the undertakers are embarassed too. hardly a great advert.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Let us hope Mr McClelland doesn't look to the UK for an example. Injured service personnel are treated in NHS hospitals, often with no proper military oversight, and psychiatric patients are sent to Labour donor Chai Patel's Priory Clinics. The Joint Casualty & Compassionate Centre seems to have become a call centre, with some staff appearing to have little understanding of the military. However, contractual arrangements for the shipping of bodies has been sucessful for many years.

5. They are reporting that he didn't even have it in his hand.

6. Whatever he was doing, he won't be doing it again.

Sad mistake with the body but mistakes happen, if he hadn't been fiddling with his rifle then.....................

7. Apparently it wasn't his rifle, but his Browning 9mm.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Its worth noting that there is no suggestion WHATSOEVER that this Soldier took his own life. He was in a room with two of his mates, and died from a 9mm Browning round to the head.

Now, I've been around long enough to, sadly, see quite a few people shot with an issue Browning HP - but very, very, rarely have these been enemy personnel. Pistols are dangerous, short barrelled things, and to assume that someone deliberately took their own life with one is make an enourmous jump to a dodgy conclusion.

9. I think the moral of the story is don't fiddle.