Aussie Sigs

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by biscuits, Feb 25, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know all the ins and outs about going over to the Aussies? Are there any provisions made for transferring pensions etc? Any info on this subject greatly appreciated!

2. Not really sure, you could ask the Aussie Embassy as they will have Mil staff there that could answer your questions.

I know of two who tried it. First was an officer and he sailed it, straight into a unit with same rank and I think was allowed to keep his time served in rank as well. He had EW experience and went into a new unit they were forming.

The other was a senior Cpl and was messed about, the unit he wanted to join wanted him and helped him, but the Aussie Army decided he would have to do basic and trade training again and start from scratch. He also would not be guaranteed a choice of units once he passed. He told them to Eff off.

3. Try this

A.K.T. Faithfull
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Assistant Army Adviser
    Australian Defence Staff (London)

Tel: +44 (0)20 7887 5509
    Fax: + 44 (0)20 7413 0646
    email: kim.faithfull@uk.defence.gov.au

:D

4. thanks! very helpful!

5. I know of a Tfc (R) offr who's recently been accepted for an Aussie Army commission. So there must be some jobs out there.

There are also jobs in the Aussie and Kiwi airforces and navies remember.

6. Biscuits - get your self over to your nearest REME LAD/Wksp/Btn and have a look at the Jan 2004 edition of the CRAFTSMAN magazine, page 34.

Article there about two blokes who went over to RAEME, one in 2002 and one in 2003. Here is an outline of the article if you can't get your hands on it.

· Applied to Aus High Commision in London and followed the voice prompts on the phone

· Application time took 12-18 months.

· It is normal to drop one rank - (or two if you are a WO2 - S/Sgt being phased out of the Aus Army).

· Successful applicants and families get flown to Aus. Household effects are moved at taxpayers expense

· You must take Aus citizenship after 90 days service. (Perhaps some one can correct me here - but to be an Aussie Citizen you must relinquish any other citizenship)

· There are no manning control points - so if you want to be a Cfn, Sig for 35 years you can.

Only draw back as far as I can see is that it is Austrafukenfailia :D

If any one wants the article PM me.

BlackHand

7. You know how Aussies, Kiwis and Fijians coming to our Army get immediately snapped up to play rugby?

Does that now put the boot on the other foot? NEWS HEADLINE "Englanders relinquish Brit nationality to be snapped up for Australian Army XV"! Perhaps not, eh?

PD

8. PD wrote

[/quote]You know how Aussies, Kiwis and Fijians coming to our Army get immediately snapped up to play rugby?

Does that now put the boot on the other foot? NEWS HEADLINE "Englanders relinquish Brit nationality to be snapped up for Australian Army XV"! Perhaps not, eh?

9. Biscuits,

Generally speaking when you transfer to the ADF (aus defence force) you keep your rank, seniority etc etc, you may have to go down to a place called Kapuka for a cut down version of basic training but not sure on that one, you will also have to agree to become an australian citizen although you wont be required to relinquish your uk citizenship as aus supports dual nationality.

If you want any more gen PM me and I may be able to get hold of it or a contact, there are a fair few brits how have made the transfer in the past...