Aussie relief gunners in Helmand?

From another site. Anyone know about this?

http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/512-42903.aspx

It might be interesting to note that a battery from 8/12 is currently training on British guns and will deploy into Helmand province in Afghanistan to man British guns early this year. It will mark the first time that Australian artillerymen have fired guns in anger since Vietnam. It seems the RRAA is sick of not being deployed in this war, and worked out that the only way they would get a trip is with another country. Very sneaky.

Pictures of training in UK in a recent Gunner. No sure about being from 8/12 though, more like A bty (para) belonging to 4 Fd (but based in Sydney 1600 miles from RHQ in Townsville)

The strategypage assessment is flawed.

Petardier is also wrong.

No doubt there will be a piece appearing in our media soon about this.

We had a whole troop of RNZA Gunners in Bosnia, about 80% Maori, they were there as thye wanted a tour and got an invite

By all accounts the volunteer list was huge but they could only take 30

Frankly, I think it's a disgrace. When we have blokes in 100 Regt RA (V), from 289 in particular whose role it is to fill those slots - where the hell do bl00dy Australians fit into the picture ? :x :x :x :x :x :x

I understand this is nothing to do with 100 Regt not having trained blokes, but wholly the fault of 7 who've basically stiffed us.

wellyhead said:
We had a whole troop of RNZA Gunners in Bosnia, about 80% Maori, they were there as thye wanted a tour and got an invite

Played rugby against the RA in Bosnia in 98 or 99, they did field quite a few Maori lads...
The outcome wasn't good for our team!

Proximo said:
The strategypage assessment is flawed.

Petardier is also wrong.

No doubt there will be a piece appearing in our media soon about this.
Not entirely. Very recent discussion with very reliable sources in Aust confirm they're from 8/12 Mdm Regt in Darwin, equipped with 155mm M198 (Aust was one of the very few nations silly enough to buy this) so light gun should be a neat little culture shock. It appears that they are providing a 35 strong formed troop.

My sources say this info is not classified in Aust and believe Aust govt has made an announcement although I'm not entirely sure of this.

[quote
My sources say this info is not classified in Aust and believe Aust govt has made an announcement although I'm not entirely sure of this.[/quote]

Although I aint a drop short I am pretty sure this news would've gotten out to everyone here via the digger net. Which in itself you can't hide even top top secret info. But today is Sunday. If it is true then good on em. About time they got to do their job, pity though it's not with Oz guns.

Fallschirmmongsturm said:
Frankly, I think it's a disgrace. When we have blokes in 100 Regt RA (V), from 289 in particular whose role it is to fill those slots - where the hell do bl00dy Australians fit into the picture ? :x :x :x :x :x :x

I understand this is nothing to do with 100 Regt not having trained blokes, but wholly the fault of 7 who've basically stiffed us.
What and nothing to do with only a slack handful of your blokes volunteering? You're SPSI has being training you for the past 18 months and doing a fantastic job of it so I believe and this is the result. You should all be compulsarily mobilised. Tell me mong boy........are you on the ORBAT?

Older_by_the_day said:
wellyhead said:

Played rugby against the RA in Bosnia in 98 or 99, they did field quite a few Maori lads...
yep that was us. its amazing what having a few from a warrior caste does to a team isn't it

My Bold,

Whats the problem with the Aussies, its about time we remembered who are real friends are! Compare the Aussies to the malingering euro majority who can't be even be dragged in. On the other hand our cousins down under are bending their rules and coming up with a novel strategy to allow them to get stuck in.

Good on them I say.

EWD

wellyhead said:
Older_by_the_day said:
wellyhead said:

yep that was us. its amazing what having a few from a warrior caste does to a team isn't it
Just slightly! That game (and a sevens tournament played just before we deployed) resulted in me not being able to play rugby again!

Was bloody good fun though! Did you lot actually lose a game that tour? :D

BNP member?

EWD-STAB said:
My Bold,

Whats the problem with the Aussies, its about time we remembered who are real friends are! Compare the Aussies to the malingering euro majority who can't be even be dragged in. On the other hand our cousins down under are bending their rules and coming up with a novel strategy to allow them to get stuck in.

Good on them I say.

EWD
I've no issue with them wanting to get stuck in, I agree with you they are infinitely preferable to the Continentals, there but why as part of our ORBAT, using our kit? I'd much rather they came over with their own to re-inforce us as a whole.

Threaders, check PM

Older_by_the_day said:
wellyhead said:
Older_by_the_day said:
wellyhead said:

Just slightly! That game (and a sevens tournament played just before we deployed) resulted in me not being able to play rugby again!

Was bloody good fun though! Did you lot actually lose a game that tour? :D
Noidea I was attached to the Regt but seconded to a RM unit so saw very little of them and the rest of the Regt. My comment was really down to a Maori lad sent to us on an Ex Long Look, he total turned around the Btys rugby team and for the first time in history we got to the inter Regt final, only for the CO to ban him form the game as the Bty we faced was full of the regimental team and he wanted them to win, well thats my excuse anyway.

Aussie relief gunners in Helmand? Confirmed

Aussie Min Def press release

http://www.minister.defence.gov.au/Fitzgibbontpl.cfm?CurrentId=7498
The Hon. Joel Fitzgibbon MP,
Minister for Defence
Media Release
13 Mar 2008 MIN17/08

AUSTRALIAN ARTILLERYMEN DEPLOY TO AFGHANISTAN IN SUPPORT OF UK OPERATIONS

Minister for Defence, the Hon. Joel Fitzgibbon MP has joined the Chief of the Defence Force, Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston, and the Chief of Army, Lieutenant-General Peter Leahy, in wishing 15 Australian soldiers the best of luck for their tour of duty in Southern Afghanistan.

The soldiers, members of the Darwin-based 8/12 Medium Regiment, have spent the past six months in the United Kingdom preparing for their deployment with Task Force Helmand as part of a bilateral program.

Mr Fitzgibbon said the deployment of the artillerymen was a further demonstration of Australia’s commitment to restoring security to Afghanistan and the ADF’s long-standing relationship with the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence.

“These soldiers have worked extremely hard in the preceding months and have formed a key component of Task Force Helmand’s fire support capability,” Mr Fitzgibbon said.

“I wish them all the best for their deployment and am sure that their proficiency and skills will be highly valued by the UK and ISAF personnel they support.”

Lieutenant-General Leahy said the deployment of Australian artillerymen in their primary role was the first time Australians had manned a gun line on operations since Vietnam in 1973.

“This deployment into a complex operational environment in support of one of our longest-standing military partners is an excellent opportunity for the Royal Australian Artillery, the Australian Army and the ADF,” Lieutenant-General Leahy said.

The deployment of the 8/12 Medium Regiment personnel will be followed by a similar embedding of gunners from Townsville’s 4th Field Regiment late in 2008.

The Australian gunners will employ the 105mm L118 Light Gun, a similar weapon to the ADF’s L119 Hamel Gun, from Forward Operating Bases throughout Helmand Province.

The Australian gunners will deploy as part of the UK-led Task Force Helmand and form part of the gun-line supporting operations in the Province.

The deployment with Task Force Helmand is occurring under a bilateral arrangement and will enhance the training and experience of the Australian Army’s offensive support capability.

Petardier said:
so light gun should be a neat little culture shock. It appears that they are providing a 35 strong formed troop.
the aussies have been using and even manufacturing the L118 under licence for years (inc the shorter m119 version)

wellyhead said:
Older_by_the_day said:
wellyhead said:

should see what it can do to an army. (even a small one 8) )

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr The Intelligence Cell 20
biscuits Royal Signals 8
Englishspringer REME 1