Aussie nurses raped before being massacred by Japanese

Mothers farther and dads farther both best mate were captured in Singapore, they both made it through but had a life long hatred for all things Japanese.

Mother’s farther had all the bones in his hand broken for failing to bow to one of the guards. When ever we stayed over with either one it was not pleasant in the evening all I can say is PTSD in the extreme. The majority of the family refuse to have any thing made in Japan to this day if they can help it. I did a collage course and one of the students was from Japan how I never kicked the shit out of himnis beyond me.

I've long been interested in the evacuation of Singapore and have always thought it very likely the nurses were raped.
Vivian Bullwinkel is, like Weary Dunlop, rightly considered a great Australian hero(ine) for her work in war and in peacetime.
But I'm also very wary of authors coming up with 'evidence' which become facts- especially when there is a book in the offing.
When you start talking of 'mis-matching threads' on the buttons of someone who has had to make do with the same uniform for over two years, you really are scraping the evidence barrel.

I agree with the words of the Director of the Australian War Memorial, quoted in the article.
given their history, it would have been totally out of form for the Jap Soldier and Sailor NOT to Rape female internees and POW's they were more rapey than the russians

Unless you were a Russian POW.
Their death rates in German captivity far exceed even the death rates on the Burma Railway.
Not like the soviets ever followed the geneva conventions with regards to POW either, ask Janina Lewandowska...

My Grandfather who was far too old for WW2 hated the Japs.
One of my cousins a couple of years older than me made it known that he was going to go to the Olympic games in Tokyo in 1964 and worked all sorts of hours and jobs that he could to be able to afford to do it.
Obviously, my Grandfather and his was one and the same.
Grandad stated to him that if he went to the games in Japan that he would never speak to him again.
My cousin went, and as far as I know, there was never a word spoken between them again.
I don't think they ever saw each other again either before the old guy died.
Some emotions run very deep.

My Grandfather would not allow Rice or any Japanese product in the house.
He hated them to the day he died.
In the late 1970s the RSL carparks in Australia would often have signs "No Japanese Cars"

Fast forward to the late 1990s we had to hide the fact from my partner's grandmother that the company car was Japanese. She had lost her 21 year old brother at the fall of Singapore.

Mothers farther and dads farther both best mate were captured in Singapore, they both made it through but had a life long hatred for all things Japanese.

Mother’s farther had all the bones in his hand broken for failing to bow to one of the guards. When ever we stayed over with either one it was not pleasant in the evening all I can say is PTSD in the extreme. The majority of the family refuse to have any thing made in Japan to this day if they can help it. I did a collage course and one of the students was from Japan how I never kicked the shit out of himnis beyond me.

But consider this, a Japanese soldier who wasn’t on the ball and bowed in a prompt manner to his NCO was also likely to get the bones in his hand broken.
Japanese training of their recruits was extremely brutal. The trainers carried billy clubs that were liberally used to encourage activity, broken bones were common, death was common enough too.
The Japanese were extremely Hierarchical, deference to any one superior was required. Slapping juniors was the norm, and these were not play slaps. Even at school, children were regularly beaten to death by their teachers.
Officers beat NCOs, NCOs beat JNCOs, JNCOs beat Privates.
Much of the mistreatment of prisoners was down to a failure to grasp this.
You were a prisoner, so the very bottom of the Japanese pecking order, even a captured General Officer was beneath the lowliest Private in the ‘face’ order.

In 1945, the Americans with a much better grasp of the Japanese mentality were better at teaching their airmen how to survive in captivity. One of the key bits of advise was to quickly spot the NCO and treat him like a minor god and bow to him like your life depended on it, because it really did. As he spent his day being beating by his Offices, POW officers bowing and scraping to him made him feel good.
‘Respect my authority, I’m an Officer! I won’t bow to you you slitty eyed Corporal’ got plenty of Allied Officers killed and their men badly treated by enraged Japanese,

And the Japanese were not the worst, Korean guards were proper little monsters. They were treated like shit by the Japanese, so took it out on the POWs that were the only thing below them.

Last edited:
In the late 1970s the RSL carparks in Australia would often have signs "No Japanese Cars"
Got any proof for that accusation? It certainly doesn't ring any bells with me. The nearest I can find ( my bold) is:

'Back in the 1960s, there were veterans’ associations in Australia that tried to ban Japanese cars from their parking lots because of understandable feelings about the war – but our countries’ leaders, I’m pleased to say, were bigger than that.'

TRANSCRIPT OF THE HON. TONY ABBOTT MP, ADDRESS TO THE JAPAN INSTITUTE OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS, TORANOMON MITSUI BUILDING, TOKYO - The Hon Tony Abbott MP

Was there a time when the RSL banned Japanese cars from their carparks?

My understanding is that the Chinese Communists did as little fighting against the Japs as possible, leaving that to the Chinese Nationalists.
The mostly did guerrilla work until the latter stages. Thanks to the Nationalist purges and the horrific attrition of the Long March, it took them a long time to build up the resources for anything else.

Not like the soviets ever followed the geneva conventions with regards to POW either, ask Janina Lewandowska...

Well, the Germans were, but decided as ‘untermensch’, it didn’t apply to Russian POWs.
By and large the Russians weren’t terribly bad captors.POWs were paid for their work and reasonably well fed, and Unlike say the French, they didn’t force POWs to do prohibited dangerous work like mine clearing at gunpoint, nor did they use the German euphemism of ‘exposure’ to kill over 2 million POWs in 1941. Sticking men in barbed wire enclosures without any food Or water and letting the fiercely hot Russian summer provide a ‘final solution to the POW question’.

And as to German deaths in Russian hands? Most were in the first months after capture.
Perhaps if the Germans had been better feeding their troops and better clothing them, they’ve have fared better in captivity in a harsh climate,

ARRSE at its finest.
A thread about Aussie nurses being raped by the Japs degenerates into Russian/German POWs, and who killed the most.

But consider this, a Japanese soldier who wasn’t on the ball and bowed in a prompt manner to his NCO was also likely to get the bones in his hand broken.
Japanese training of their recruits was extremely brutal. The trainers carried billy clubs that were liberally used to encourage activity, broken bones were common, death was common enough too.
The Japanese were extremely Hierarchical, deference to any one superior was required. Slapping juniors was the norm, and these were not play slaps. Even at school, children were regularly beaten to death by their teachers.
Officers beat NCOs, NCOs beat JNCOs, JNCOs beat Privates.
Much of the mistreatment of prisoners was down to a failure to grasp this.
You were a prisoner, so the very bottom of the Japanese pecking order, even a captured General Officer was beneath the lowliest Private in the ‘face’ order.

In 1945, the Americans with a much better grasp of the Japanese mentality were better at teaching their airmen how to survive in captivity. One of the key bits of advise was to quickly spot the NCO and treat him like a minor god and bow to him like your life depended on it, because it really did. As he spent his day being beating by his Offices, POW officers bowing and scraping to him made him feel good.
‘Respect my authority, I’m an Officer! I won’t bow to you you slitty eyed Corporal’ got plenty of Allied Officers killed and their men badly treated by enraged Japanese,

And the Japanese were not the worst, Korean guards were proper little monsters. They were treated like shit by the Japanese, so took it out on the POWs that were the only thing below them.
In an earlier post I tried to point out similarities between pre War Japan and Nazi Germany. The training of the SS was exactly the same. Brutality became the norm and a source of pride, and seeing the outsider as having less value.

I have heard the same about Korean guards, the same as the most extreme Nazis were frequently those in occupied territories.

This being Easter time, we should thank God that repentance and forgiveness have been key to the culture of the West. Ironically the social forces that threaten them are the same ones that scapegoat the Americans for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, without considering the context (Okinawa warned what an invasion of Japan's home islands would be like) or the millions of lives (mostly Japanese) saved..

The common belief, that only white people can be racist, is clearly not true, and disproved by tragedies of our times such as Rwanda..

the simple act of bowing deeply when captured saved lots of B-29 crewmen’s lives.
Maybe but 40% of the 27,000 American pow still died.

Probably lucky had more to do with it than how low you could kowtow.

In an earlier post I tried to point out similarities between pre War Japan and Nazi Germany. The training of the SS was exactly the same. Brutality became the norm and a source of pride, and seeing the outsider as having less value.

I have heard the same about Korean guards, the same as the most extreme Nazis were frequently those in occupied territories.

This being Easter time, we should thank God that repentance and forgiveness have been key to the culture of the West. Ironically the social forces that threaten them are the same ones that scapegoat the Americans for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, without considering the context (Okinawa warned what an invasion of Japan's home islands would be like) or the millions of lives (mostly Japanese) saved..

The common belief, that only white people can be racist, is clearly not true, and disproved by tragedies of our times such as Rwanda..

Okinawa brought home to the Americans that outwith the brainwashing, the Japanese were actually just like them.
They’d been told the Japanese had no humanity and would leave their wounded to die, the sight of desperately tired and hungry Japanese soldiers carrying a wounded comrade towards US lines made many US soldiers and Marines realise they'd been told a lie.
Same for the Japanese, they’d been told the Americans would kill them and were rather surprised to find that once the killing stopped, the Americans treated them very humanely.

Fact. The Japabese treatment of POWs during WWI was so exemplary, it was held up as the gold standard to be followed after WWI. And then came Bushido and militarism, and the rest as they say, is history.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Unfortunately it is generally accepted that only white people can be racist. Anything else is held to be 'cultural'.

Maybe but 40% of the 27,000 American pow still died.

Probably lucky had more to do with it than how low you could kowtow.

It had been much higher.

The refusal of racist Officers to treat the Japanese with deference after the surrender of The Philippines ‘I ain’t bowing to no stinking jap’ had been identified as a factor in the extremely brutal treatment of the US POWs

Percival’s haughty and airy attitude towards Yamashita Causing him to loose his temper didn’t help the troops in Singapore either. He didn’t act like a defeated enemy, he acted like a snooty Headmaster negotiating with an unruly student. The Japanese came to treat Percival with utter contempt, not on,y fir bed g defeated, but like Von Paulus, his utter indifference for his men when surrendering.

And not forgetting the turncoat Sikh guards at Changi who needed no encouragement from the Japanese to act with brutality towards the POWs. In fact they were so handy with their rifle butts that eventually the Japanese took the rifles away, replacing them with canes.
They were especially harsh towards their former Indian Army officers.
After liberation, the role of the Sikh INA guards was played down. partly. I suspect because the Indian Army officers really wanted to keep accounts of disloyalty under wraps; but also due to incidents of rape of POWs by Sikhs which, like the female internees, was difficult to discuss (although Russell Braddon gives a mention of one such event)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Steve-Mccroskey72 Films, Music and All Things Artsy 5
Dwarf Miscellaneous Jokes 4
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 71