Aussie nurses raped before being massacred by Japanese

It’s interesting how a lot of WW2 veterans have absolute lifelong hatred for the Japanese but managed to quickly reconcile with the Germans.
Were they really that much worse than the Nazis?
A quick spot of armchair psychology - I reckon a large part of it will be down to how captive soldiers were treated.

If you were fighting in Western Europe and taken prisoner by the Germans, unless you were SOE or a commando, chances are you would be taken to a POW camp and treated reasonably. At least paying lip service to the Geneva Conventions. Try to escape and the chances were reasonable you'd be transferred to another camp.

Get captured in the Far East and you're in for a lifetime of brutal starvation, beatings and forced labour, if you aren't shot or used for sword practice right away.

All of which probably makes it easier for POWs to view the Germans as soldiers like themselves. People doing a job and treating their prisoners as they would like to be treated if the roles were reversed. Auschwitz, Treblinka, Bergen-Belsen etc. can be blamed on the Nazis in charge, not the everyday soldiers. On the other hand, if every Japanese soldier that you encounter is a sadistic bastard it would likely be quite easy to view the entire race as evil scum.

If we had manage to try Hitler at Nuremberg, he'd have been found guilty and executed, why didn't the same happen to Hirohito under the threat of hand him over or we will bomb Japan into glass from end to end.

Actually no, thery weren’t convinced Hitler could be charged with anything other than bad dress sense and manners. He was very careful never to put his signature to anything. He would ask for solutions to a problem, then reply that Herr so and so has a very good solution. Millions of Jews were gassed on nothing more than an appraisal of a report as ‘sehr gut und rechstig’

A quick spot of armchair psychology - I reckon a large part of it will be down to how captive soldiers were treated.

If you were fighting in Western Europe and taken prisoner by the Germans, unless you were SOE or a commando, chances are you would be taken to a POW camp and treated reasonably. At least paying lip service to the Geneva Conventions. Try to escape and the chances were reasonable you'd be transferred to another camp.

Get captured in the Far East and you're in for a lifetime of brutal starvation, beatings and forced labour, if you aren't shot or used for sword practice right away.

All of which probably makes it easier for POWs to view the Germans as soldiers like themselves. People doing a job and treating their prisoners as they would like to be treated if the roles were reversed. Auschwitz, Treblinka, Bergen-Belsen etc. can be blamed on the Nazis in charge, not the everyday soldiers. On the other hand, if every Japanese soldier that you encounter is a sadistic bastard it would likely be quite easy to view the entire race as evil scum.

Unless you were a Russian POW.
Their death rates in German captivity far exceed even the death rates on the Burma Railway.

I'm 50. Both my grandfathers served in WW2. On my Mum's side (Arthur), a RN stoker. On my Dad's side (Albert), a Chindit. Albert died when I was 6 or 7, essentially from complications of war wounds, albeit 30 years on.

I have never owned a Japanese car. Not in direct response to Albert's suffering, but because I had simply been indoctrinated as a kid that anything Japanese was not good.

I am sure Lexus make a fine car, and HiLuxes go on forever. But I'd rather have a Mercedes or a Jag, and a Ford/GM/RAM truck than a Toyota.

If that makes me racist, so be it. My grandfathers, and their generation, paid the price for me to have that choice.

Unless you were a Russian POW.
Their death rates in German captivity far exceed even the death rates on the Burma Railway.
There were cases of British soldiers taken PW by the SS (Wormhoudt and Le Paradis spring to mind, not to mention Malmedy for the US Army) being murdered. There were also recaptured PW murdered (The Great Escape). But yes, overall, the Germans were not as bad as the Japs.

One of the great undercurrents in the film ‘Tunes of Glory’ is the Alec Guinness character chiding John Mills character for having been a POW whilst he led the battalion through the desert and up the spine of Italy. “It was all organised games and amateur dramatics..” he scoffs not realising the difference in being a prisoner of the Germans as opposed to the Japanese. John Mills plays the insult wonderfully IMO.

There were cases of British soldiers taken PW by the SS (Wormhoudt and Le Paradis spring to mind, not to mention Malmedy for the US Army) being murdered. There were also recaptured PW murdered (The Great Escape). But yes, overall, the Germans were not as bad as the Japs.
Overall, perhaps, but they were responsible for The Holocaust. The Japanese refused a German request to liquidate the Jews in their captured territory.

One of the great undercurrents in the film ‘Tunes of Glory’ is the Alec Guinness character chiding John Mills character for having been a POW whilst he led the battalion through the desert and up the spine of Italy. “It was all organised games and amateur dramatics..” he scoffs not realising the difference in being a prisoner of the Germans as opposed to the Japanese. John Mills plays the insult wonderfully IMO.
Speaking of movies and the Japanese "mentality" there is a terrific scene in Bridge on the River Kwai where the Japanese camp commander breaks down and weeps over some perceived slight. David Lean said he achieved that great scene very easily, he simply berated the actor very loudly and very publicly for his inability to act properly, and then filmed the result, a very genuine breakdown by the actor in remorse and shame for his deficiencies.

Somehow I couldn't imagine Alec Guinness falling for that.

An older relative of mine remembers as a child pretending to be asleep one night and listening surreptitiously while his father and great uncle, who had both been to the Far East, got drunk and talked about their experiences. He distinctly remembers one of them mentioning the sight of dead Burmese villager women floating down rivers, with bamboo forcibly inserted by the Japs. Apparently being drunk was a pre-requisite to either of them talking about their experiences.

The Forgotten Highlander by Alistair Urquhart, who passed away not that long ago, is a very good albeit challenging read. He also suffered dietary and gastrointestinal issues for the rest of his life after spending years in captivity, including the quirk of craving and needing a bowl of white rice every day thereafter.

Regarding the Chinese, I recall the rather surreal moment when on arriving in Perth, Western Australia around 6 years ago, regularly seeing a very expensive AMG Mercedes being driven around the city centre by a Chinese gentleman which bore the personalised number plate "NANKING".

Last edited:
I'm 50. Both my grandfathers served in WW2. On my Mum's side (Arthur), a RN stoker. On my Dad's side (Albert), a Chindit. Albert died when I was 6 or 7, essentially from complications of war wounds, albeit 30 years on.

I have never owned a Japanese car. Not in direct response to Albert's suffering, but because I had simply been indoctrinated as a kid that anything Japanese was not good.

I am sure Lexus make a fine car, and HiLuxes go on forever. But I'd rather have a Mercedes or a Jag, and a Ford/GM/RAM truck than a Toyota.

If that makes me racist, so be it. My grandfathers, and their generation, paid the price for me to have that choice.

Mercedes pick ups are rebadged Nissan Navaras

Speaking of movies and the Japanese "mentality" there is a terrific scene in Bridge on the River Kwai where the Japanese camp commander breaks down and weeps over some perceived slight. David Lean said he achieved that great scene very easily, he simply berated the actor very loudly and very publicly for his inability to act properly, and then filmed the result, a very genuine breakdown by the actor in remorse and shame for his deficiencies.

The Burma Railway garners millions of words but in the great scheme of things, it was a minor blip on the atrocity radar of WWII.

Meanwhile, Unit 731 has pretty much passed into obscurity thanks to its utterly unrepeatable ‘research’.

My Grandfather would not allow Rice or any Japanese product in the house.
He hated them to the day he died.
Not a PlayStation fan?

I think you will find there was an Officer in the Middlesex Regt who was captured in Hong Kong, returned to duty after WW2 and was captured again in Korea, somehow he survived both.

I think also the Japanese can play the victim card after getting the instant sunlight two times, plays well with the trendy liberal,lefty, pinko view the the perp is always the real victim?

There's a good BBC "Everyman" style documentary of the type sadly not seen anymore on youtube circa late 90's and which interviews several ex Jap prison guards and soldiers. Almost to a man they are still completely unrepentant about their attitude and treatment of prisoners. Will find link if anyone's interested.

Mercedes pick ups are rebadged Nissan Navaras
Indeed, but nor would I have one of those, way too small. Mercedes don't even sell them in the US. If they made a full size truck, I might - as long as it wasn't a Nissan Titan or Toyota Sequoia underneath.

The Burma Railway garners millions of words but in the great scheme of things, it was a minor blip on the atrocity radar of WWII.

Meanwhile, Unit 731 has pretty much passed into obscurity thanks to its utterly unrepeatable ‘research’.
I’ve just googled Unit 731. Grim doesn’t come close.

Does the Chinese Communist Party let the people know that they were not alone in their fight again Nippon, and had Americans, Britons, Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, Indians, and others fighting on their side?
Yes.

I can't imagine Sessue Hayakawa falling for that either.
He was a major Hollywood star of his day, much earlier than "Kwai" and quite a heart-throb. He spent the war years in France and (it is claimed, but I wouldn't take it as gospel) was a resistance worker helping downed allied pilots escape.

A couple of years back, I landed at Haneda, Tokyo and after clearing immigration & customs was approached by a clip-board wielding interviewer from the tourist board. It was the last thing I wanted but it would have been churlish to decline.
After the usual questions about my visit, I was thrown completely off-guard by the question "Who is your favourite Japanese person"
My mind went completely blank, although I can think of several contenders now, all I could think of at the time and after a pause, was "Sessue Hayakawa"
As he was more famous in Hollywood than Japan, my response was met with a straight face, the nearest I was going to get to a "Who is he?"
So I started to say "He played the Ja.... " I suddenly realised that was heading for a route that would call for too much expansion so simply said "A famous Japanese-American actor".

I can't imagine Sessue Hayakawa falling for that either.
He was a major Hollywood star of his day, much earlier than "Kwai" and quite a heart-throb. He spent the war years in France and (it is claimed, but I wouldn't take it as gospel) was a resistance worker helping downed allied pilots escape.

A couple of years back, I landed at Haneda, Tokyo and after clearing immigration & customs was approached by a clip-board wielding interviewer from the tourist board. It was the last thing I wanted but it would have been churlish to decline.
After the usual questions about my visit, I was thrown completely off-guard by the question "Who is your favourite Japanese person"
My mind went completely blank, although I can think of several contenders now, all I could think of at the time and after a pause, was "Sessue Hayakawa"
As he was more famous in Hollywood than Japan, my response was met with a straight face, the nearest I was going to get to a "Who is he?"
So I started to say "He played the Ja.... " I suddenly realised that was heading for a route that would call for too much expansion so simply said "A famous Japanese-American actor".
I only recounted what I heard Lean say in some interview or other, I can't swear it's true.

You couldn't think of Kendo Nagasaki the great Saturday afternoon wrestler from the 1970s? What dya mean he wasn't...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dwarf Miscellaneous Jokes 4
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 71
Glad_its_all_over Int Corps 35