Aussie nurses raped before being massacred by Japanese

As would my father in law,
As would my late paternal grandfather.

When the war started (for the UK) he was with the Hong Kong & Shanghai bank in Tientsin (now Tianjin, apparently). the Japs had already reached and gone past Tientsin, thoughtfully leaving units around the expat areas. He was twice invited for interview with the Kempetei (sake and rice crackers were not served) and returned home 'visibly shaken' according to my late father. It could have been worse. I remember reading that the HSBC staff in Hong Kong got the chop (literally) on Stanley Beach. The family was interned but were fortunate to be in the only batch of internees to be repatriated, exchanged in a Red Cross 'box' out at sea, somewhere.

I am reliably informed that he would have nothing Japanese in the house, or in the garage. Apparently done very quietly, no tirades, just nothing Japanese.

E2A: happily living in Asia as I do, I have to say that Asians in general are 'wired' differently.

Yokel

LE
This might be a tangent - but can any similarities been seen between 1930s Germany (once the Nazis were in power) and 1930 Japan under the militarists? Both had governments that not subject to democratic checks and balances, both had heads of state with executive powers, and both were subject to propaganda telling the people that their society was under attack from outsiders.

Mike Barton

War Hero
I've long been interested in the evacuation of Singapore and have always thought it very likely the nurses were raped.
Vivian Bullwinkel is, like Weary Dunlop, rightly considered a great Australian hero(ine) for her work in war and in peacetime.
But I'm also very wary of authors coming up with 'evidence' which become facts- especially when there is a book in the offing.
When you start talking of 'mis-matching threads' on the buttons of someone who has had to make do with the same uniform for over two years, you really are scraping the evidence barrel.

I agree with the words of the Director of the Australian War Memorial, quoted in the article.
I think the line up of bullet holes in the clothing, which indicated the tunic was wide open when the bullets were fired, are more convincing than the mismatched buttons, which I agree is a bit of a stretch.

Nobody of that generation who had any experience of the Japanese would be surprised by this. It was part and parcel of their horrific code of conduct towards all non-Japanese. My father rarely spoke of his war service in India and Burma but assured me that the Japanese were vermin - and he would, probably, hold that view today if still around.
Ditto for my father, same theatre, same views.

Mike Barton

War Hero
I read a booked called No Surrender by a survivor from HMS Exeter after she was sunk in the Sundra Straits
Slightly off topic but I attended a discussion recently in which it was revealed that the wreck of the Exeter has now completely disappeared, falling victim to Chinese scrap dealers looking for pre-1945 steel.

Yokel

LE
Does the Chinese Communist Party let the people know that they were not alone in their fight again Nippon, and had Americans, Britons, Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, Indians, and others fighting on their side?

Same with the USSR during the Cold War - they were not keen on telling their people of the Arctic Convoys and other acts by the Western allies.

Last edited:
- as an aside - Japanese army had a lot of Koreans, Taiwanese and other asiatics who were looked down on by the ethnic Japanese officers and treated brutally for any breach of military discipline ( not for bayoneting prisoners mind ). The result was to take it out on anything that fell within their power. They had this nasty little habit of lining people up and killing every fourth man. They did this in Singapore and other places, which is why they aren't considered jolly fine chaps by the older generation out there.
( The numbers 4 and 9 are considered unlucky in Japanese: 4, pronounced shi, is a homophone for death (死); 9, when pronounced ku, is a homophone for suffering (苦) )
The Chinese have long memories with regard to Nanking and other places and atrocities, plus the Japanese seem to have escaped owning up to having been a scourge in Asia. This, together with Chinese memories of the opium war and the forced trade concessions with the west, only serve to set the perception that the oppressors of the Chinese are ganging up.

I can remember watching a docu about Japanese atrocities in the Dutch East Indies years ago. A former Dutch nurse told that she was put into enforced prostitution for Japanese troops. So, she was raped several times a day every day, by scum who regarded her as the low-life dirty white keto.

When I read about the worst death tally from crocodile attack,

Battle of Ramree Island - Wikipedia

I like to think that the main course was involved in those rapes and murders. I mean, you can imagine their families back home, praying for their safe return, and not to be shot or blown up. If he does die, let it be a soldier's death. These lot did not die in a hail of bullets, during a last ditch bayonet charge. Imagine their families getting a letter saying your son or brother was eaten by a crocodile!!!

Ravers mentions how veterans managed to reconcile with Germans quicker than Japanese, and going skiing over there in the Winters. But, every British town has a judo and karate club these days. There have been clubs over here for decades, some before the Second World War. The instructors are unlikely to be Japanese, but somewhere up the line, they answer to masters and grand-masters back in Japan.

Carbon 6

Old-Salt
IMG_0776.JPG

I first read of Japanese atrocities in this book back in the sixties. It's an interesting, but at times infuriating, read.
A mate's step-father had been a POW and he couldn't eat a solid meal until he died in the eighties, due to starvation in the camps.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I can remember watching a docu about Japanese atrocities in the Dutch East Indies years ago. A former Dutch nurse told that she was put into enforced prostitution for Japanese troops. So, she was raped several times a day every day, by scum who regarded her as the low-life dirty white keto.

I like to think that the main course was involved in those rapes and murders. I mean, you can imagine their families back home, praying for their safe return, and not to be shot or blown up. If he does die, let it be a soldier's death. These lot did not die in a hail of bullets, during a last ditch bayonet charge. Imagine their families getting a letter saying your son or brother was eaten by a crocodile!!!

Ravers mentions how veterans managed to reconcile with Germans quicker than Japanese, and going skiing over there in the Winters. But, every British town has a judo and karate club these days. There have been clubs over here for decades, some before the Second World War. The instructors are unlikely to be Japanese, but somewhere up the line, they answer to masters and grand-masters back in Japan.
I have in my possession that letter from my uncle's company commander (there may be a copy in my picture album). It is written in a way that implies Jack died an honourable death. What my grandfather (dead long before I was born) told my brother (alive when Jack died, also now dead), varies entirely from what sources close to my brother appear to have told my grandfather.

My Grandfather would not allow Rice or any Japanese product in the house.
He hated them to the day he died.

many years ago, I took the family to see my uncle, the kids great uncle, he had survived fighting in the far east, I parked my Japanese car on his drive, he went ballistic, he would not have any jap products in the house, and said that the Japanese islands should have been nuked back to the stone age.

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
If we had manage to try Hitler at Nuremberg, he'd have been found guilty and executed, why didn't the same happen to Hirohito under the threat of hand him over or we will bomb Japan into glass from end to end.

If we had manage to try Hitler at Nuremberg, he'd have been found guilty and executed, why didn't the same happen to Hirohito under the threat of hand him over or we will bomb Japan into glass from end to end.
Cos you can't kill a (God) Emperor, so the USA chose to shift all blame onto the military government.

While not about WWII in any way, this gives some excellent insights into Japanese culture, society and values (once you get past the first couple of very arty-party chapters).

My grandad used to have an old flying chum stop over with him on visits to the old country ( they had soloed on the same course but Barney had then gone onto fighter bombers)
Over a large drink one day he gave a little glimpse of the whirlwind the hon sons of nippon reaped as they retreated in Burma.
His squadron was flying thunderbolts and was tasked to interdict troops trying to flee across a large river by barge and boat to reach an old citadel on the other side.
All his squadron had seen or heard first hand how the japs treated “gaijin”, and their blood was up.
When asked what that meant( I was a callow 14 year old at the time) he said
“ if you have never seen what 8 half inch machine guns can do to a wooden boat crammed solid with men you would scarce believe what it does.
We kept going in though till the guns were empty. And when we landed some of the leading edges were splattered with dried blood and other stuff the armourers scraped off.”

I don’t think he regretted a bit of it !

ugly

LE
Interesting research that uncovers a fact that was probably obvious but which in the circumstances of the time was covered up.

A WW2 massacre and revealing 'an awful secret'
I dont think it was covered up deliberately just forgotten about, Lord Liverpool's Knights of the Bushido covers plenty of similar incidents and may even mention this one, its been 30 years plus since I last read it!

ugly

LE
The Germans have an entirely different attitude to the sins committed at that time. Although anyone who remembers the generation of Germans (including civilians) who lived through WW2 will know that it contained a significant proportion of arrogant, unrepentant and resentful pigs.
The Germans allegedly still revered Uncle Adolf post war and Acht und Acht was often used as a greeting between old Nazis (H being the eighth letter in the alphabet Heil Hitler). This later transferred into never encountering an ex SS soldier or anyone who hadnt fought on the eastern front!

ugly

LE
My Grandfather would not allow Rice or any Japanese product in the house.
He hated them to the day he died.
An old soldier I drank with in Cornwall (his son was my sect commander) was a POW of the nips from Singapore. Wouldn't talk to my sect commander for buying a Toyota!

D

Deleted 158059

both were subject to propaganda telling the people that their society was under attack from outsiders.
Indeed they were. The likes of Steve Bannon use these tactics even now, effective that they are

My uncle Bob was captured at Singapore. He never talked about it but did wake up screaming every night for the rest of his life. Bob was a very broken man.

I met a senior Jap from Fujitsu in the early 2000s. You are supposed to bow and rub their business card as a sign of respect when you meet them. He gave me his card and it was flung on the desk.

I will always remember my uncle Bob.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Miscellaneous Jokes 3
Steve-Mccroskey72 Films, Music and All Things Artsy 5
Dwarf Miscellaneous Jokes 4

Latest Threads