• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Aussie Neighbours voice inflection

Do Aussie drill pigs give orders in that infuriating rising intonation that
makes everything sound like a question(?).

Annoys the hell out of me and is the main reason I try to avoid any contact with Aussies of the soap generation.

Squad?....Squaaaaad 'shun? :frustrated:

Or the Kiwi - Halt - Bro.....

To answer the question - no they generally don't have that annoying lilting tone - although they do give the word of command for 'Halt' on the Right (actually, the wrong..) foot. :)

jack-daniels said:
Or the Welsh.......'Halt.....isn't it'.
Wrong halt-....aros'' or sefyll

so" CARFAN AROS"...Squad halt

See youse jimmy-squad, halt tae feck! (Scots Guards standard procedure honest!)

Petriburg said:
tropper66 said:
jack-daniels said:
Or the Welsh.......'Halt.....isn't it'.
Wrong halt-....aros'' or sefyll

so" CARFAN AROS"...Squad halt
Only if doing drill in Llan Ffestiniog, Penygroes or Pwllheli... :wink:
Or Penally...brrr! That Nite Owl club still haunts my dreams!

Edited to add...and not in a good way...James Corden and Ruth Jones ripped off my nightmares to conceive the character of Nessa!

Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between British and Australian drill?

I've just arrived in the UK on an exchange, and paraded with the local TA unit, some of the seniors were banging on about how weird our drill was.

Probably just lazier I guess :p

Bond said:
Just out of curiosity, what are the differences between British and Australian drill?
British drills are without shackles :D

A couple I've noticed:
1. Executive word of command for 'halt' is given on the right foot in Aus, with no check pace.
2. Open order commands are completely different.

Aussie drill is a little more relaxed overall,

I also like the fact that our parade ground is grass.

As an auld git (compared to the lads in basic) when I went back to the Army, I was often made Duty Bod.

Get them awake, dressed and at lectures etc and on the square ten minutes before etc etc.

Suffering from a karaoke induced mangled voice box, I was lucky enuff to be tasked with getting the lads from the square to the SAA lesson.

It was easier for me to call "eft.. eft.., eft dig eft.." "eft.. eft.., eft dig eft.".

DS nearby shouted "Sparky!!! eft.. eft.., eft.. RIGHT eft...!!!"

"Sorry Staff, I'm a left footer!!"

Cue the instant car crash, that moments before resembled a semblance of orderliness and discipline.

Oh how the DS laughed, but still made me run around the squad as they marched, with my SA80 at arms length above my head.

Sweating like cheese on a window sill, I passed the DS who said "Sparky this is illegal son, but you being an 80's misfit ye'll feel right at hame. Think yersel lucky it's noa an SLR sunshine!!"

"No staff, this is an airgun in comparisonnnnn" the words fading as I ran.

Ye'd think i'd have learned by now eh? Once a cheeky chunt ayeways a cheeky chunt - I was late for lunch (dinner) that day.

Happy days :D

Good drills FFBox et al :salut:

2 commonly used Aussie commands used at Enoggera
1/ Fur **** Sake Change step!!
2/ Crikey!! about turn :wink:

Bond said:

I've just arrived in the UK on an exchange, and paraded with the local TA unit, some of the seniors were banging on about how weird our drill was.

Probably just lazier I guess :p
Bondy the most obvious difference is now drill with arms. We used to do it properly; the F88 drill is a &#$%ing disgrace. At an ANZAC Day parade in the mid 1990s I overheard two old diggers sniggering to themselves about the "slung handbags" ..... :(

The 'HALT' used to be given on the left foot - not sure when it changed; some time in the 1990s I think. Diff'nt when I were lad.

I guess i've always learned the slung handbag approach to rifle drill, would be a complete mindf*ck to put the F88 onto the shoulder.

The kiwis do 'proper' rifle drill with the F88 don't they?

Some uh... 'interesting' Australian drill courtesy of 51FNQR

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dwarf Miscellaneous Jokes 4
ThunderBox The NAAFI Bar 71
Glad_its_all_over Int Corps 34