Aussie Miners Back On The Surface

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bomb_Doctor, May 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Great news...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4752997.stm

Apparently, one said that he couldn't wait to get out to give the Boss his resignation letter and the other said he couldn't wait to get his overtime pay!!

The first one tried to get the ambulance to stop off at McDonalds on the way to the hospital.

Glad to see the Aussie humour is alive and well, also that these two guys spent 2 weeks thinking up one liners to woo the media on their release! :)

2. Heh I liked this bit

"Walking unaided, they clocked out"

3. No wonder it took so long:

"Rescuers took a week to bring them out, drilling through hard rock, often by hand"

Do you think they used a drill like an egg whisk?

...and what's the "Australian mateship" the PM is talking about? Is that like "shiiiiiipmate" but even closer and dirtier?

Joking aside - I'm glad they got out

4. Two out of three ain't bad.

5. It is goods news for once hope they both get well soon and sincere sympathy to the family of the other gentleman

6. The last 3 meters of solid rock had to be tunnelled by hand as they feared that the vibration from further drilling would cause a further collapse. These two blokes did well but the real heros are the small team who tunnelled through to them at incredible risk. They were working in a very tight space (the tunnel less than a meter in diameter) with no real room to swing a pick. Incredible job.

The mateship the PM mentioned is a cornerstone of the ANZAC spirit aspired to by all Aussies. Two men trapped for 15 days, the first 5 of which everyone thought them dead. The mateship of the rescuers prepared to risk their own lives rather than abandon their mates. These miners would make excellent soldiers.

7. [​IMG]

Not seen this posted before.

New (?) picture doing the rounds.

8. Hey Mistersoft,

Why do you remind me of "Herrenbloke" with a rather longer-term agenda?

MsG

9. No idea Bugsy, he's before my time on ARRSE.

Did check him out a bit, can't really see too many similarities.

If a long-term agenda means living to a ripe old age then yes I've got one.

By ripe old age I mean 52 then I'll take it year by year.