Aussie looking to join UK Army, Seeking Information.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Jacco, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys, currently living in Australia and considering joining the British Army. Answers to the following questions would be extremely helpful with the decision making process.

1) Over here, the defence forces seems to be heading in a very politically correct / Occupational health and safety orientated direction. Our govt. won't commit many troops to conflicts for fear of bad press, guys can't use non issued kit despite the issued stuff not being the best for the role, most recently there is discussion regarding women entering front line combat roles which means lowering the fitness standards for infantry. All these plus more, but you get the idea.

My question is weather or not this trend is occurring in the UK Army also? If so, in what ways?

2) What is the accommodation like, specifically for members of the Paras? How many to a room, facilities, food etc.

3) Concerning salary, I'm not that motivated by money, but I've read that the starting salary for private is 17,000 pounds a year. As opposed to $43,000 a year for private in Aus. This seems to be a big difference and I'm wondering how people go with managing their finances over there? Do you get enough to save for the future etc. Also, do roles like the Paras / SFSG attract more pay once qualified?

Cheers

2. Loads of info just ave a dig through the forum or use the search function.

Cheers

3. Mate

Take my advice with at least two kilo's of salt as I am probably way out of date.

The pay figures are a bit skewed because the Aussie dollar is very strong at the moment. Not too long ago it was nearly three dollars to the pound and thus the rates of pay for a private were higher. In addition, don't forget to factor in the 12k service allowance in your calculations.

Ask about pensions if you are planning to join for a full career as I understand that pensions are a lot better with the Poms than the ADF, but check if this is still the case.

In addition, I would advise you to go over to UK on holiday and have a look at conditions and make an informed decision before commiting.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.