August 27, 1979

#1
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1234510_1,00.html

exactly 25 years ago, the evening of August 27, 1979, Lieutenant- Colonel David Blair, commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, The Queen’s Own Highlanders, had been killed by the IRA at Warrenpoint, along with Lance-Corporal Victor Macleod and 16 soldiers from the 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment.
It was the British Army’s worst single peacetime loss since the Second World War. Nobody has been arrested or prosecuted for the killings.
We will remember them.
 
#9
Well posted Tabs,
I was down at Narrow Water Point, earlier this week,where it happened 25 years ago. It does'nt seem that long ago. There is no memorial, at the moment, because, according to the MOD a memorial would have been vandalised. The MOD have never, ever, asked the people of Warrenpoint about that. People, civvies, that responded to the initial ambush and were caught up in the subsequent action and clear up.

It would appear that, with the exception of some of the Irish press, and the Times, where Col Blairs daughter penned an article and the paper published an editorial, no one really gives a stuff about the greatest single loss of life the Army suffered since WW2.

People of a certain age will tell you that they remember exactly where they were and what they were doing on the day that Kennedy was assasinated.
Fcuk him, I can remember exactly where I was and exactly what I was doing when the news came through about the ambush at Warrenpoint.

However, on the same day a member of the royal family was also killed. He was blown up on his holiday yacht in the Republic of Ireland. The hunger strikes were on. Tensions was extremly high. He'd been warned not to go there and make himsef a target.

Who was more newsworthy ?

Sixteen members of 2 Para and two Queens Own Highlanders dead, and a sh!t load wounded, including members of the Emergency Service who attended from Warrenpoint and Newry and who were caught up in the deadly ambush and fire fight,

Or,

A member of the Royal Family who did not see the folly of holidaying in the Republic of Ireland at the time.

I can remember the press at the time. Lord Louis Mountbatten slain !!!! oh, and 18 squaddies were also killed , erm, somewhere, erm, oh yeah, eh, Warrenpoint. Shocking so it is.
Lord Moutbatten will be buried...etc, etc, etc......


Who, with the exception of 2 Para, the QOH, the people of Warrenpoint and the others directly affected by their losses that day gives a toss ?

Mention in Parliment about the Warrenpoint Massacre Mr Blair ?
The murder of Lord Mountbatten his friends and family, perhaps ?
A public enquiry to bring the perpetrators to justice Mr Blair ?
Perhaps a word or two of condolence from Msrs Adams and McGuiness ?

No, I shan't be hanging by the toes waiting for it either, but, I for one, will remember everyone who died that day !!


Utrinque Paratus et Cuidich n'Rich ya bass !!!


Edited by me to temper some, uneccesary, comments.
 
#10
Easesprings, if you'd like to know more about the the ambush, type 'Warrenpoint' into Google. Plenty information or pointers too information there.


Ubique ya bass !!!
 
E

error_unknown

Guest
#13
Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma served in the Royal Navy during the First World War, and in the Second World War he commanded the 5th destroyer flotilla and was later Supreme Allied Commander in South-East Asia. His experience in the region led to his being appointed Viceroy of India after the war. In his position as Viceroy, Mountbatten oversaw the granting of independence to both India and Pakistan. He was familiarly known to British people as "Lord Louis", and was given the title "Earl Mountbatten of Burma" in recognition of his service in the Far East.

His full style was: Admiral of the Fleet The Most Honourable Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, 1st Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, 1st Baron Romsey, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS

May he too Rest In Peace
 
#14
sid_james said:
Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma served in the Royal Navy during the First World War, and in the Second World War he commanded the 5th destroyer flotilla and was later Supreme Allied Commander in South-East Asia. His experience in the region led to his being appointed Viceroy of India after the war. In his position as Viceroy, Mountbatten oversaw the granting of independence to both India and Pakistan. He was familiarly known to British people as "Lord Louis", and was given the title "Earl Mountbatten of Burma" in recognition of his service in the Far East.

His full style was: Admiral of the Fleet The Most Honourable Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, 1st Viscount Mountbatten of Burma, 1st Baron Romsey, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS

May he too Rest In Peace
I absolutely concur Sid and, having re read my post, realise that some of my comments may be construde as disrespectful to the late, great, soldier. That is not the way it was meant to come across.
I shall modify my post forthwith.
He was a soldier too.




Ubique ya bass !!!
 

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
#16
Mighty_Blighty said:
And some sick fcuk goes and desicrates the memorial. Kill the feckin lot of 'em I say... :evil:

Instant sunshine over the Province ??

Don't go giving The Glorious Leader more ideas !



But I'd definitely agree with some suitable 're-education' of the purpetrators. :evil:
 
#17
We should never forget Warren Point and shame on those who desecrated the memorial.

But while we are at it , whether you ever served in the province or not, in these times when the terrorists are all walking free and even making claims from the Government, and those that served are made to feel as if we were the 'invaders', let's remember all those who lost their lives against an enemy who wanted political status but would rather fight from the shadows than stand like a real army, would scream foul when procedures weren't followed to the letter but kill and maim innocent bystanders without even flinching.

It could have been oh so different if our hands were not tied by political constraints.

A fairly comprehensive list of the fallen can be found here http://www.britains-smallwars.com/ni/ROH2.html
 
#19
Auld_Sapper said:
Easesprings, if you'd like to know more about the the ambush, type 'Warrenpoint' into Google. Plenty information or pointers too information there.
Go to www.google.com and type "french military victories" and then click on "I'm feeling lucky". Go on, I promise you'll like it.
 
#20
Plant-Pilot said:
But while we are at it , whether you ever served in the province or not, in these times when the terrorists are all walking free and even making claims from the Government, and those that served are made to feel as if we were the 'invaders', let's remember all those who lost their lives against an enemy who wanted political status but would rather fight from the shadows than stand like a real army, would scream foul when procedures weren't followed to the letter but kill and maim innocent bystanders without even flinching.
Understandable point PP. But, speaking as someone who has served number of tours there, maybe we should think about that term 'invaders'.

If we're not the indigenous peoples, but settlers (albeit a few hundred years ago), then perhaps it's understandable that some of the population perceive our presence - tooled up - as an invasion. Of course we could discuss it for ever but that's why politics is the only solution that could ever work. Look at those nutters over in Chechnya.

Even so, I think anyone that desecrates a war grave or memorial also spits on the sacrifice made by their own side. Absolutely disgusting.

PD
 

Latest Threads