Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by CH512O, Sep 15, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know ITV4 keep on repeating it every few months (new run from the very 1st episode on now) but you cant not help yourself watching it. Brilliant TV!

2. The first series was definately the best.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

My nipper found it last night and I made him watch it. We were nearly halfway in but I instantly gave him the story so far and took the remote ready to hit pause and have a moment of quiet reflection when the late lamented Corinna Schnabel came on.

Sadly missed by all who knew her. Shame about the parrot.

It was promptly set to record in the ITV4+1 slot and series linked.

Oh joy.

4. Excellent viewing and as Biccies says, the first series is the best. Quality script and a quality cast.

British TV at its finest.

IIRC a very young Ray Winstone (Winston) makes an appearance in the first series.

5. [quote
    IIRC a very young Ray Winstone (Winston) makes an appearance in the first series.[/quote]

Indeed he does Mr S, as a young squaddie who has gone AWOL whilst serving in Germany. The Boys do the right thing and persuade him to return and face the music. A very good episode.

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Jimmy Nail comes from my part of the world, and I knew dozens like him in the sixties. One in very oub or club.
    Superb writing and acting.

7. I love the shot of them crossing over Nijmegen road bridge! Oh I wish I was over in Arnhem this weekend! :cry:

Classic!

8. I bloody loved that series, but the 2nd is my favourite.

9. http://www.aufpet.com/

Everything (ish) you ever wanted to know about Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

Like if it was supposedly set in Duesseldorf, why did so many cars have Hamburg plates (HH)? :wink:

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

The scene were they are in a bar looking for work in the 1st episode the extra's were from 3ADTR one of them was was the Tp Sgt upstairs from us in JLR's told us they kept delaying the shoot and giving them more beer they were all sh1t faced and he got charged the next day can't have done him that bad he's a major now

11. First series was just so brilliantly different to anything else on the box at the time. Think the second suffered from expectation setting - still great writing, strong charactors and gritty acting from what are now household names.

Deserves all the plaudits it has.

I wonder if there is a Polish version filmed in Slough (anytime in the last ten years)!

12. Indeed he does Mr S, as a young squaddie who has gone AWOL whilst serving in Germany. The Boys do the right thing and persuade him to return and face the music. A very good episode.[/quote]

That episode was on itv4 lastnight, its a classic. Double bill every tuesday from 9pm.

13. Sorry about this, but I couldn't help myself.

The first (and only) time I saw the series (1 & 2) was in Germany, early '80's. Thougt it was great, watched it in the communal TV-room in the block in Iserlohn.

Last Xmas my brother gifted me the first and second series. I am loving it.
    The main reason it gives me such joy, notwithstanding the excellence and top quality of the episodes, is that it is really about singlies in BAOR.
    All about what we were up to then, all our discoveries and disasters, everything.

Every episode (I'm up to episode 4, series 1) make me smile, laugh and think back to those long-ago days with a certain .... feeling.

14. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

You hit the nail on the head with that. (And no pun intended).

15. It is currently being shown Monday to Friday at 1000hrs on the Yesterday channel, and repeated at 1500hrs. There is also a +1 channel, so 4 times a day if you like it that much. They've done the German, Spain, and Arizona series, and are now showing the Cuban series.

Enjoy.

But there are always inaccuracies. Does anyone remember the first series, where Newcastle fans Dennis and Oz take time off work to travel 300 miles to Liege to cheer on arch rivals, Sunderland in a friendly over there? In over 10 years of living in Gateshead, plus all the Geordies I knew in the Army, that would never happen. The writers should have known this, as it wasn't as if they were a coupla guys from London or whatever - they were from the North East.

Wayne met the mother of his son, Wyman at a Madness concert - highly unlikely as he was into rock music.

I like watching the re-runs as I actually recognise a lot of the filming locations.