AUDIT OF BOWMAN HOLDINGS

Anyone else chasing their tail with this. Why was no assett tracking capability issued for this multi-billion pound issue? If I worked in Tesco I could track a can of beans from the manufacturer to the warehouse and then out of the check out in order to re-demand. As ever fast balled, frustrated and fed up!

shrimper said:
Anyone else chasing their tail with this. Why was no assett tracking capability issued for this multi-billion pound issue? If I worked in Tesco I could track a can of beans from the manufacturer to the warehouse and then out of the check out in order to re-demand. As ever fast balled, frustrated and fed up!
Are you complaining because you don't know where everything is and you have been asked to account for it?

shrimper said:
Why was no assett tracking capability issued for this multi-billion pound issue?
Because the MOD didn't want to spend money on the handheld asset tracking thingy that's part of the BOWMAN system.

However, how hard is it to check serial numbers? Pain in the arrse maybe, but hardly particularly taxing.

shrimper have heart, I am with you all the way as would anyone who is involved. It is complete Bullocks that GD have got away with this sh*t and now the whole G4 system has to bend to sort it out for them.

Further to my last,with it breaking all the time and the fast turn around of some of the kit ,it has been a nightmare sorting our serial numbers out(when we left telic we had an iso container full purely of knackered kit)

My only issue with this whole audit is that the MOD (and more specifically LAND) have known BCIP5 was coming along next year for sometime and it has only just now realised that they have no idea where all the Bowman is. We now have a knee jerk reaction of giving every unit such a short time-scale to get returns back up the CoC for where it all is.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

Jimima

Hardly taxing? The sigs stripey in my Sqn is trying to chase down over 800 individually serialised items, the poor sod has worked past midnight for the last 7 days.

Sounds quite taxing to me...

This happened with Clansman also; after spending bazillions on the stuff it turned out that no-one actually knew where it all was. Money was spent on a computer system and anything going in for repair/PRE was logged. My lot were caught with a few radios we had "found" on Salisbury Plain years before and had to return them. A pal of mine was a Scaly tech at the time-late Eighties-and said the problem was exacerbated because money had been saved by not putting serial numbers on the inside of the gear; I recall finding two 351s with the same number after someone got creative when diffy a set.

barbs said:
shrimper said:
Are you complaining because you don't know where everything is and you have been asked to account for it?
No, we're complaining because the goalposts of what we have had to account for were changed at short notice by LAND. When my unit first BOWMANised in 03/04 the direction was to account for BOWMAN as you would for CLANSMAN, ie all green boxes by serial number and all ancillaries/batteries by quantity. We asked about the IKs (cabling and mounts) in the platforms and were told that these were now to be considered part of the vehicle as a whole and should not be accounted for separately. Basically, if the system in the platform performed OK than it could be assumed that all the required IK was there.

This was duly all accounted for manually and then inputted onto UNICOM when we did the switchover. Then it was decided (10 days ago!) to carry out a 100% audit of all BOWMAN equipment issued because GD/LAND/FLEET/STRIKE had lost site of who had what. Therefore, those items which we were told not to bring to account now had to be brought to account by 7 Dec 07.

Sounds simple doesn't it? My unit has over 50 platforms incorporating 11 variants of BOWMAN infrastructure inside. When you consider that a multi-fit platform has nearly 100% separate cables each with a different NSN you you begin to get the idea! This was compounded by the fact that we have to interrogate two different systems in order to convert GD stock numbers to NSNs prior to it being inputted into UNICOM, only to find that UNICOM doesn't recognise the NSN! Can you sense the input of the Emperor Mong in all of this?
Also since 2004 we have had two hardware upgrades carried out by GD on a one for one basis. No probs you think - we'll just IV off the old item and RV the new one, easy! This was duly done at the end of each upgrade but only now do we realise that although you may be swapping an HF radio for an HF radio of the same type - the NSNs are all slightly different, so this needed to be rectified at the same time as this audit.

Yes, we have completed the task in time by working stupid hours in the QM/Sigs Depts - whilst also dealing with an ECI last week and an LSI this week!

So in response to your post - go away and don't post on a subject on which you have no idea about!

Kind Regards

Berlin

I've been out of the BOWMAN sphere for a while - Loooooong course - but the last I heard, all BOWMAN bits were supposed to be tracked by what looked like a highly impressive little handheld thingamajig, that talked to a couple of laptops that the RSO / Q Flags had, and all accounting could be completed with a push of a button.

Have to say, I did think it was going to fail, although I thought it would be because of trying to track all the cable bits after the fiasco with cable lengths.

My sympathies to you G4 types.

yeah Berlin I recognise this and we only have a bit of Bowman kit ! We spent days doing the fecking inputting and "Maintaining the Items" as if Unimong did
recognise the NSN we had to reclassify the item as P2 because the 354 and 355 were listed as a C class item the latter serailised and a snip at @ £17.5 K according to SCOC!

On putor at work I have a great little program that turns the GD number in to the correct NSN if you want it PM me your DII contact details and I 'll get it for you on Monday

3MS

Latest Threads