Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Mugatu, Jun 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Like reading without having too!

Listening to Lord of the Rings read by Robert Inglis with my son! It's bloody mint!

Also been listening to the Four Quartets read by Ralph Fiennes who make a dog's dinner out of them.

Any other good ones out there?
  2. As I spend most of my time driving at work I've built up a little collection of audiobooks.
    Mostly Pratchetts, the Egyptian series from Wilbur Smith and a Dan Brown one.

Only annoying thing is that they're usually abridged to fit on few CDs so whole chunks of storyline can be missing.

Sent in a harsh font, using finger paints
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Get the 'Audible' App...lots there that aren't abridged

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I listen to them in the gym to make the monotony of the treadmill seem better than it is. Generally agreeable with a couple of noticeable issues. The early Tom Clancy's had a moron reading the books who couldn't pronounce either the word living or live, he'd say life-ing or life, a bit ******* weird... he'd also pronounce mk48 torpedo as M.K. fortyeight, which shouldn't be too hard to get right. The other was Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code where the American mature male Reader would effect a young female parisian's accent - think about that for a second.. it was ghastly.
  5. And there was me thinking the Duh Vinci Code couldn't get any worse.