Audiobook recommendations please

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by BFG 9000, Jul 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Greetings All,

I spend a couple of hours travelling every day & like to listen to audiobooks rather than the radio or music.

I've been through (& enjoyed) :-

All of the Robert Ludlum Jason Bourne series.
    All of the Harry Potter series (Stephen fry is fantastic).
    All of the Dan Brown Novels (Angels & Demons is great - so much better than The DaVinci Code).

So - Any recommendations? I'd prefer unabridged if available & I like the idea of a series read by the same guy.

TTFN

BFG

2. Fry reading Rowling is indeed good stuff - is the man capable of doing anythnig substandard?

Do they have to be stories, or are you open to the idea of listening to stand up comedy and non-fiction too?

In the former category, Jimmy Carr, Eddie Izzard and Billy Connoly are great listens and I have more Just a Minute tapes in my glovw compartment than anything else. In the latter, any of Bill Bryson's books will be money well spent.

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Tom Clancy is all out there unabridged. And of course they are big books so will last you well into next year.

4. Download the entire Economist magazine as MP3, takes ages but useful on a long drive. I decided to try a bit Marx' Communist Manifesto - what an absolute dirge. I have a few of the Pratchett books on MP3 as well as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which is pretty good.

5. If you're in to SciFi Big Finish (http://www.bigfinish.com/) offer a range of audio books/audio dramas to download at a discount from buying the CD.

Great news for Dr WhoFans

6. I can reccomend the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett and the Gunslinger series by Stephen King.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

My experience is that discworld is all abridged, read by tony robinson and crap (the version, not the books). No?

8. Thanks for all the comments.

I'm currently downloading the complete Discworld (unabridged !!).

I've Just downloaded the "His Dark Materials" trilogy.

I've also got a copy of John Grisham's "The Appeal".

Should keep me busy for a while......

TTFN

BFG

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Do come back re the Discworld stuff.. I would like to know if I am missing out (so that I can take action).

10. Douglas Reeman WW2 Naval books on audio

11. Here you go :-
    http://www.mininova.org/tor/1103349

It's an 11.5 GB D/L - so not for the bandwidthly challenged.

Obviously I'm only downloading them as it's easier than converting my own perfectly legal bought copies to mp3 format......

TTFN

BFG

12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Obviously, what I meant, rather than where to get quality back ups though...

is what is the quality like. And I don't mean audio-quality. I mean proper quality. I ask because IMO Baldrick facking murdered the books with his abridged versions... Maybe it is just me but when that guy is digging up a field somewhere looking for a Saxon burial plot my eyelids get heavy..

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Sharpe novels are available on audio, as are the Hornblower stories. But I favour comedy, and have -like Artemis - the Just a minute series, and also 'I'm sorry, I haven't a clue' as well as avy Lark, Hancock and various others.
    Great for both long and medium journeys.

14. The quality of the Pratchett books is fine, I have listened to about 6 of them now and Nigel Planer reads them very well. I have not listened to the Tony Robinson versions so cannot compare them, but have found these to be perfectly good.

15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Might I recommend www.audible.com reasonably priced and a fantastic amount of choice. I've just finished Jenkins seminal work on Churchill, all 59 hours of it. 8O