Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Audi A4 anyone got one? Any good?

I'm on the lookout for a new car, and have seen an Audi A4 1.6 estate from 2000 which I quite fancy.

So before I part with my hard earned cash, (remember I live in Denmark where cars have 180% of the value added in tax) I thought I'd ask my fellow ARRSErs for advice.

So, are there any issues I should know about with this model and year?

Any opinions on it?

Cheers
T_T

Ive had a few of them, great cars. The 1.6 might be a bit small, I would go for for the 1.9TDI or the 1.8T (My last car). The avant has loads of room, they handle well and if you look round you can get models with lots of guuci add ons like climate control, leather etc.

I had an Audi A4 estate, diesel, 1.9. I found that it was a mistake.

Yes it is comfortable, but...... it was slow (had no poke), it ate fuel and handling was like turning the Exxon Valdez.

I have subsequently bought a Saab 9-3 Sportwagon, 1.9TiD, 150 BHP - frankly, it knocked the spots off the Audi.

I had the 2.0 FSI S Line. I agree that is p'ssed fuel, but it had a decent poke to it but the ride was agony. Everything felt rigid and the traction control thingy was the oddest thing I had ever felt, seemed to kick in and jerk the wheel at 20 mph so a always felt uncomfortable at 70+mph.

that said, for just over 21k, where else do you get that power, styling etc?

arby said:
I had the 2.0 FSI S Line. I agree that is p'ssed fuel, but it had a decent poke to it but the ride was agony. Everything felt rigid and the traction control thingy was the oddest thing I had ever felt, seemed to kick in and jerk the wheel at 20 mph so a always felt uncomfortable at 70+mph.

A decent level Saab!!!

mysteron said:
arby said:

A decent level Saab!!!

fair point. :(

On a similar vein, and because I have standards and can't bear the thought of doing it myself, one could look at the Skoda.

In truth, it is everything the Saab is, but the chassis is slightly different. Same engine, same set up and configuation et al. They are even made in the same factory!!

Steer clear of the 1.6 from any year, very poor fuel economy and equally poor performance. I'm a big Audi fan, currently selling my A6 and waiting 12 weeks for my new A4. The 1.6 engine was a disaster, I'd recommend the 1.9 or 2.5tdi if you can get one.

mysteron said:
I had an Audi A4 estate, diesel, 1.9. I found that it was a mistake.

Yes it is comfortable, but...... it was slow (had no poke), it ate fuel and handling was like turning the Exxon Valdez.

I have subsequently bought a Saab 9-3 Sportwagon, 1.9TiD, 150 BHP - frankly, it knocked the spots off the Audi.

Was this the TDI? My wife has a 99 model with 110 bhp. Does 55mpg all the time and we cruised happily at 110 mph on the autobahn last year. Known problems are the MAF sensor, which make the car feel sluggish and affect fuel consumption, and front suspension wear, as its a multi-link system, with lots of bushes. Its a design fault , we got ours done through Audi, even though the car had done over 150,000 miles and was around 7 years old at the time. The avant is suprisingly spacious, and the A4 in general a quiet comfortable cruiser. I have a year 2000 A4 saloon 1.8t quattro sport, been totally reliable. As mentioned get a well specc'd one.

The MAF sensor is a cheap fix if you know what to do, it's a common problem across tdi engines from audi/skoda/vw. You can actually just clean it with alcohol or exchange your old one for about £28. To get it fixed by Audi direct will probably set you back a few squid.

My A6 has covered 172000 miles and is like new, if it wasn't for a new company car arriving I'd happily run it for another 172k. I have a feeling that Mysteron had a bit of a dud, or in fact had the suggested MAF problem and just didn't realise (it happens a lot). My 1.9 (115 bhp) is surprisingly quick off the mark for a big car and it keeps pulling all the way through to about 130.

Pocoyo said:
The MAF sensor is a cheap fix if you know what to do, it's a common problem across tdi engines from audi/skoda/vw. You can actually just clean it with alcohol or exchange your old one for about £28. To get it fixed by Audi direct will probably set you back a few squid.

My A6 has covered 172000 miles and is like new, if it wasn't for a new company car arriving I'd happily run it for another 172k. I have a feeling that Mysteron had a bit of a dud, or in fact had the suggested MAF problem and just didn't realise (it happens a lot). My 1.9 (115 bhp) is surprisingly quick off the mark for a big car and it keeps pulling all the way through to about 130.

2006_toyota_prius.jpg

:D :D :D :D

minister_doh_nut said:
Pocoyo said:

2006_toyota_prius.jpg

:D :D :D :D

I was waiting for that!!!! You will be pleased to know (but not half as pleased as me) that I have handed that heap back today, and a heap it is.

I've had Audi 80's in both Saloon and Estate versions (crashed 'em), and I've currently got an A6 2.7T Quattro.

I love these cars!

Agreed that they can be a bit thirsty (especially the bi-turbo), and I'm sure that the 1.6 is going to be well under-powered (I'd got for something at least 1.9 and turbo).

The thing is, they are very quiet, very comfortable, very reliable, and you can actually get the chips remapped to give you more power AND better fuel economy believe it or not.

As long as you don't plan on getting a 4WD AND bring it back to the UK (don't forget the latest ZaNu Labliar tax wheaze), you should be OK.

Edited to add: Ditto on the mileage - I got my A6 on Ebay for £3750, and it's now done 170k - spent another £1500 on a MONSTER service to make it drive like new (at the time, still totalling under the 'book' value), and it drives like new, and allegedly still gets right up to 150mph pretty quickly.

Loads of torque, and the acceleration just doesn't run out at higher speeds, only the road.

Mr_Deputy said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Pocoyo said:
I was waiting for that!!!! You will be pleased to know (but not half as pleased as me) that I have handed that heap back today, and a heap it is.

Pxing it for one of these;

invacarac.jpg

:D

swwwwweeeeT! 8)

If you want one have a word with Currymunter if he is still posting I believe he was in charge of disposing of the remaining fleet of er.... spazmobiles - sorry I mean personal Mobility trikes. Think they were classed as hazardous waste from the asbestos in them. :p

PS A4's (had several) and are a quality piece of kit mainly espescially as they are not a Beemer. The latest 2.0 Tdi is a good drive and I believe the ride and handling is the best yet on the new model. Would still have an A6 Avant though as the A4 is still quite a compact car