Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auction of Rare WW1 book in aid of SSAFA

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I am clearing a selection of Great War items left to me many many years ago, this book has been kept in a sealed locker for the past 40 years, and is mint, no tears, missing pages or water damage
it is the Wolseley/Renault service manual for the V8 engine fitted to the early BE2 RAE factory aircraft
78 pages with full plate illustrations
I have seen another copy for sale but its in awful condition
I would think this dates from the early part of the Great War, and would a nice item for any one interested in Great War aircraft
the plates can easily be scanned to make large posters
it also shows service tools, and gives full stripdown and rebuild and power charts
postage in the UK is free

start bidding
succesful bidder sends the Wonga to Old Baldy, and I will forward the book
here are a few illustrations to show you the quality
IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0442.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0445.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0449.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG

As an aside my Grandfather who flew with the RNAS/RAF, flying DH9s. He was put through a course in Aero engine repairs by his father, himself a marine engineer before he left for the Aegean. It proved well worth, as in mid 1918 he crashed because of a little Focker and over the course of two days he repaired the engine.

But for the course he would have been proverbially stuffed, on a miserable flee infested island!

oldbaldy

LE

oldbaldy

LE

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
@Awol

Book dispatched Yesterday at 9.30AM first class , I have tracking details, but knowing the postal system is rather busy it will take a week at least !!

Awol

LE
I’ve just given myself a well deserved slap on the wrist for not reporting that the book arrived very safe and well a couple of weeks ago, very well packed and wrapped. I bid (bidded?) on it because not only is it an immaculately preserved piece of history, it also neatly combines three things I’m passionate about..... the Great War, things mechanical, and early aviation.

Thanks are due to @oldbaldy for sorting out that SSAFA got the readies, and obviously to @Joshua Slocum for his generous donation in the first place.

I for one will be keeping a keen eye on any future donations by JS. ;-)