Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auction of Estate of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown

Bad CO

Admin
I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK​

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com

winkle2.jpg
winkle1.jpg

In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I'm sure everyone knows who Capt 'Winkle' Brown is - if not then read this thread!

We've been contacted by Denham's auction house to let us know that there will be an auction of his personal effects on 6 July 2016. Full press release:

AUCTION OF ESTATE of Captain Eric M 'Winkle' Brown CBE DSC AFC RN - one of the greatest aviators in history - at Denham’s Auctioneers & Valuers in Horsham on July 6th 2016 at 10am.
  • MOST DECORATED pilot in the history of the Royal Navy died March 2016
  • WORLD RECORD for the most aircraft carrier deck takeoffs and landings
  • WORLD RECORD for flying the greatest number of different types of aircraft 487.
  • SURVIVED 11 plane crashes and the sinking of HMS Audacity in 1941
  • AUCTION to include ties & caps, certificates of merit, presentation silverware/glassware/ceramics/plaques & models, a collection of his personal library and signed presentation books, personal sea trunk, group photographs.
PUBLIC VIEWING Friday 1st, Saturday 2nd, Monday 4th, Tuesday 5th July at Denham’s, Dorking Road, Warnham,West Sussex, RH12 3RZ, UK​

ONLINE VIEWING full photographed from 18:00pm on Wednesday 29th June at www.denhams.com

View attachment 249172 View attachment 249173

In a lot of ways I feel that this is a bit sad that his NOK don't want to keep these things but I assume they must have a pressing need for the cash. Hopefully an aviation museum, such as at Yeovilton, will end up with most of the items.
Wow, be some very collectable things.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
Do they have his complete logbooks?

Note that none of his ties are from Martin-Baker.

He once had to bail out, but never "punched out".

D

Deleted 60082

Most of the items seen to look like later 'gizzits'. Unless I've read it wrong, his medals aren't being auctioned.

HE117

LE
To be honest, I think its better these items circulate in hands of folk who understand and value them rather than sit in a cupboard or box somewhere forgotten..

We must never forget the golden age of UK flying and more importantly the people like Winkle who made it happen. Keeping Winkles gizzits in circulation among the cognoscenti is a better way to keep his memory alive than almost anything else..

Never forget that the US has only ever bought UK aircraft designs such as the Canberra and the AV8B for use in their front line services.. (and still use them!). We should never forget this, and make every effort to regain our place in aeronautics.. (Like the French still seem to do!)

Latest Threads