Au Pairs - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by dizzy29, Jul 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    Me and hubbie are both serving in the Army, we have two kids. The time has now come where we need an Au pair. We are currently in a v.small 3 bed house, DE/HD have said we can get a 4 bed. They have said we need insurance (WAH??? :? )for the au pair and proof of visa before they give us a house. The visa is not a problem, but I didn't know we had to get insurance. Has anyone else been in this situation and can advise? I was hoping to get moved and the kids settled before the au pair arrives here in september, but the way DE/HD have said it, is basically she has to be here ( squeeze into small box room 8O ) before giving us a 4 bed (I understand this because I know some people would try it on and say they are getting an au pair just to get a bigger house - surely if this was the case and it was found you didn't have an au pair you could be kicked out of your MQ). Sorry to ramble on guys, but its a matter of urgency. Need Au pair in for 14th Sept.
  2. By insurance I presume they mean medical insurance. If they're from the EU they shouldn't need it. Likewise, if you Au Pair is from the EU they wont need a visa. There is also a list of countries that wont require visas so long as the Au Pair is also coming to learn English. Check out an Au Pair agency website if I were you, they should have all the rules/ regulations etc.
  3. dizzy, if you put this message in The Other Half forum and on Rear Party you might get some informed feedback when people check in later.
  4. thanks for your comments guys, I have a lady from Mexico (she's got a visa), through an Au pair database called Au pair world. All the agencies want large down payments. It was just the insurance thing that got me. :D
  5. I'm also based in Hampshire Dizzy, your Au Pair is more than welcome to crash at my place, and stagger over to yours in the morning. :D
  6. There's an Au Pair agency in Andover - they're quite small so might not charge you quite as much as the others.
  7. sandmanfez, how public spirited of you!

My faith in the community spirit has been truely revived! :D
  8. What can I say Counterstrike? with me its all give, give, give! :wink:
  9. They supply small Au pairs in Andover? on the cheap excellent
  10. DE are talking bollox!

I am a single parent UWO with two kids and an aupair. If you are both serving then you are ENTITLED to the bigger house in order to house a live-in childcarer. Any health insurance issues are knack all to do with DE and, as your aupair can potentially change every few weeks they cannot oblige you to secure an aupair before offering you the accommodation.

There is a 6-week lead time before DE are obliged to let you move into a house once you have applied, so your aupair could potentially have left before you even move in!!

I suggest you get on a DII terminal, print off Volume 1 of JSP464, then go around to their office and twat them around the head until they understand the contents!
  11. I'll bear you in mind sandman!!! :) Thanks to the rest of you, hopefully hubbie is getting his arrse in gear this week to finally sort it out :roll:

Cheers skid will try that one although probably won't stop once I've started DE P**S me right off!!