ATV's

ugly

LE
We had a top end Polaris on trial for a bit. The dealer just gave it to me for a month or so in the hope I’d buy one.

It was the diesel version and came in at a tasty 14 grand.

Didn’t even have doors. Windscreen wipers are an optional extra. The thing was so loud at full tilt you needed ear defenders.

Certainly something I’d use if I owned one, but for the money, even secondhand, I think there are much better solutions to the problem.

A few years later one of our farm managers did end up buying one, but it was the much cheaper petrol version.

Again, didn’t really bring a massive amount to the party. We only used it when the weather was absolutely honking. The quad is easier all round, easier to get on and off to open gates etc.

In all seriousness if I had 5k to spend on a farm wagon, I’d get an older Suzuki Jimny and stick some serious mud tyres on it. The footprint is about the same as the diesel Polaris we had and you can drive it to the shops if required. Also has a heater, windows and all the other mod cons I’d expect for that sort of cash.

You can even get a tipper back for them.

View attachment 452639
That's what I am looking at, just had a Polaris offered for under £5k and was tempted.

ugly

LE
I think it was derv

ugly

LE
Oddly enough the local JD dealership who were keen to loan me a vehicle went nipples up last year I think. No risk of me spending the colonels money on their stuff.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think it was derv
That’s quite cheap if it is.

There are vast differences between the petrol and diesel, not just in the engine department. The diesel starts at 14 grand and the petrol starts at about 8.

The diesel is quit a lot bigger too.

As mentioned above though; noisy as ****, uncomfortable, top speed of about 30mph, no windows or any other creature comforts.

Might as well get a Landy. :)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This was the one I had on trial.

DD3A6ECC-2664-4C27-A29C-F65BFB5D5AAF.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And this was our petrol one. Only pic I have of it. You can’t really tell, but it was smaller than the diesel one. Not as wide. Cheaper suspension and brakes etc. Totally different machine underneath.

C49E9301-18F0-45F4-B64B-0A28A062B223.jpeg

ugly

LE
Farmtrader had a road registered one.

ugly

LE
And this was our petrol one. Only pic I have of it. You can’t really tell, but it was smaller than the diesel one. Not as wide. Cheaper suspension and brakes etc. Totally different machine underneath.

View attachment 452655
What colour was the filler cap?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Put a minigun on the roof and it'll be warry as F**K
We certainly spent a few summer evenings razzing it around while someone stood on the back with a semi auto .22 rifle or shotgun.

Oddly enough the local JD dealership who were keen to loan me a vehicle went nipples up last year I think. No risk of me spending the colonels money on their stuff.
Most of the JD Gators around these oarts are the really old models, the newer ones are to light weight and seemingly not built for farm use, more of a recreational vehicle. The old 5 wheel versions might not be the most advanced piece of kit, but they are heavy built and outlasting the latest and greatest from mother deere.

In North America, Mahindra has been really pushing the sale of its Roxer series this year. Based on the old Willy’s but diesel powered, it’s not street legal as it doesn’t remotely meet modern requirements for road safety so they’re being classified as UTV’s. They’re not exactly cheap going for over 16 000 CDN and resale value is still not a known thing.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Most of the JD Gators around these oarts are the really old models, the newer ones are to light weight and seemingly not built for farm use, more of a recreational vehicle. The old 5 wheel versions might not be the most advanced piece of kit, but they are heavy built and outlasting the latest and greatest from mother deere.

In North America, Mahindra has been really pushing the sale of its Roxer series this year. Based on the old Willy’s but diesel powered, it’s not street legal as it doesn’t remotely meet modern requirements for road safety so they’re being classified as UTV’s. They’re not exactly cheap going for over 16 000 CDN and resale value is still not a known thing.
Interesting that they aren’t road legal. They’ve been making these for years. I’ve seen a few on European roads.

Mahindra actually used to make Willy’s Jeeps under licence. The first ones weren’t just dodgy knock offs.

Interesting that they aren’t road legal. They’ve been making these for years. I’ve seen a few on European roads.

Mahindra actually used to make Willy’s Jeeps under licence. The first ones weren’t just dodgy knock offs.
From what I’ve read the diesels don’t meet Canadian emissions standards for road certification nor do they meet the safety requirements for airbags as well as crumple protection. Except for the engine and a few shiny bits, they are still built to 1940’s standards which isn’t acceptable unless the vehicle was built in the 40’s, then its grandfathered in and all is good.

They are part of the big push Mahindra has been doing this side of the pond the last few years in an attempt to get their piece of the market share of under 50hp tractors. The Roxor is just their contribution to the ever expanding UTV market and so far I’ve yet to see anyone local purchase one.

Last edited:

Latest Threads