ATV's

ugly

LE
I'm considering getting something used say a Polaris for under £5k if possible for use on the farm etc. Any views on makes to avoid?

I'm considering getting something used say a Polaris for under £5k if possible for use on the farm etc. Any views on makes to avoid?
I'm sure there are pros and cons for each make, we have a
Honda because that is what our nearest dealer sells. More important, I would say is to establish that it hasn"t been nicked.
Do consider a Jimney conversion, I'll send you the details of where mine came from if you like; they can be registered as an agricultural vehicle so no MOT etc, and it can't be impossible for you to find a way round the VAT.

Re nicked. My brother occasionally exports plant
he tells me second hand quads are right at the top of the list for fenced stolen goods. Especially if from Ireland ( where most were exported to after being stolen by pikiey types whilst thieving here)
how bad ? He tells me he occasionally sees a straight one there.!

TamH70

MIA
Well, you can start by binning the idea of any that don't have a full roll cage, safety harnesses and other critical features like that. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of copying Ozzy Osbourne and Rik Mayall.

ugly

LE
Do consider a Jimney conversion, I'll send you the details of where mine came from if you like; they can be registered as an agricultural vehicle so no MOT etc, and it can't be impossible for you to find a way round the VAT.
I regret scrapping mine when I was skint but if I can get one for£5k I would be a happy teddy bear!

ugly

LE
Well, you can start by binning the idea of any that don't have a full roll cage, safety harnesses and other critical features like that. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of copying Ozzy Osbourne and Rik Mayall.
Rik flipped his quad, not easy to do with a trailer which is how mine is made up. No trailer then I wear a hard hat!

Mine was £5950 (I get the VAT back), which I know is more than your stated budget, but I was more comfortable with a used pensioners wagon than a used JD Mule or similar, which are the only things that get treated worse than loaders on farms.
For what it's worth, our Honda has given no problems at all, though it is quite juicy. Recently there have been more makes coming to the UK, Kubota, CanAm etc so there might be a better chance of finding a decent used one nowadays.

ugly

LE
Was the conversion done locally or at KAP?

TamH70

MIA
Rik flipped his quad, not easy to do with a trailer which is how mine is made up. No trailer then I wear a hard hat!
Richard Hammond, him off of old Top Gear and now The Grand Tour, gave the best description of a quad-bike I've ever heard when he called them "a bucket of instant death". I'd not buy one and I spent a large amount of time in my youth running down cliff-faces head-on with ropes attached or playing tig with the traffic on the A9 on a mountain bike.

ugly

LE
Richard Hammond, him off of old Top Gear and now The Grand Tour, gave the best description of a quad-bike I've ever heard when he called them "a bucket of instant death". I'd not buy one and I spent a large amount of time in my youth running down cliff-faces head-on with ropes attached or playing tig with the traffic on the A9 on a mountain bike.
Essentially I am getting a bit old to be getting wet through delivering feed on a quad. The trailer gets coated in mud from the quad and an ATV with a cab is more like my style.
Any fool can hurt themselves on a quad.

Essentially I am getting a bit old to be getting wet through delivering feed on a quad. The trailer gets coated in mud from the quad and an ATV with a cab is more like my style.
Any fool can hurt themselves on a quad.
Are you looking for a ATV, or a UTV which is a side by side?

ugly

LE
I hadn't realised there was a difference as ATV in google throws up both. a side by side or even a single seat would work.

I hadn't realised there was a difference as ATV in google throws up both. a side by side or even a single seat would work.
No idea what’s available in the UK these days, but I can only recommend 2 that stood up to heavy use on this side of the pond. The top two brands for used that actually last are Bobcats and Kubota’s from my experience, John Deeres and Can-Am’s are money pits once out of warranty.
The one that stood the test of time the best was my Bobcat 2300 that I picked up used with 500 hrs on it and then put close to another 3500 hrs on top of that. I mounted a fully hydraulic blade on the front and did custom snow ploughing in my spare time and didn’t have a single problem. For a cab it had a permanent windscreen and a easily removable enclosure that kept more than enough heat in during sub zero mornings. During the non snowy months it carried out regular jobs around the farm and having a hydraulic dump bed made it so spreading a load of gravel on the lanes was beyond easy. Powered by a Kubota diesel was the biggest selling point, never lacked power or even burned oil, will never get a petrol one again. Sold it when the hours got high and replaced with JD that didn’t even last a year before high ticket parts started failing, same with the Can-Am after that. Finally got a Kubota and wouldn’t buy another type these days.

Not sure how much heavy work you plan to do with it, but stick with brands that are geared towards farm work rather than the cheaper versions designed for weekend use, they just don’t last.

ugly

LE
Not sure how much heavy work you plan to do with it, but stick with brands that are geared towards farm work rather than the cheaper versions designed for weekend use, they just don’t last.
Essentially moving half a ton of grain or tools for work parties etc. Handy for moving deer to the chiller too.

Essentially moving half a ton of grain or tools for work parties etc. Handy for moving deer to the chiller too.
You can pick up used Kawasaki’s, Cub Cadets, and various other name brands over here for under £3000.00, but the chassis’s and engines can’t stand up to moderately heavy loads and last. They’re an item that many buy because they think they have a use for them and end up realizing the monthly payments aren’t worth it so there are always lots of used on the market. I learned quick heavier farm models were the way to go.

ugly

LE
Any views on Polaris?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
We had a top end Polaris on trial for a bit. The dealer just gave it to me for a month or so in the hope I’d buy one.

It was the diesel version and came in at a tasty 14 grand.

Didn’t even have doors. Windscreen wipers are an optional extra. The thing was so loud at full tilt you needed ear defenders.

Certainly something I’d use if I owned one, but for the money, even secondhand, I think there are much better solutions to the problem.

A few years later one of our farm managers did end up buying one, but it was the much cheaper petrol version.

Again, didn’t really bring a massive amount to the party. We only used it when the weather was absolutely honking. The quad is easier all round, easier to get on and off to open gates etc.

In all seriousness if I had 5k to spend on a farm wagon, I’d get an older Suzuki Jimny and stick some serious mud tyres on it. The footprint is about the same as the diesel Polaris we had and you can drive it to the shops if required. Also has a heater, windows and all the other mod cons I’d expect for that sort of cash.

You can even get a tipper back for them.

85A3FFE3-17C2-46C7-9433-AD4C68A67440.jpeg

Latest Threads