Attorney General employed illegal immigrant as housekeeper

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, Sep 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tsk tsk never mind. Could happen to anybody.

What was that? Knowingly employing an illegal is punishable by a two-year prison sentence and an unlimited fine and lesser offence can land you with a £10k fine and loads of small businesses have been mightily stuffed as a result?

No no, that is only for other people, not an Attorney General directly appointed by Gordon Brown who had formerly been Minister of State for Criminal Justice and pushed the 2006 Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Bill through the Lords. :roll:
  2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I think its the knowingly bit that gets her off the hook.
    Employing someone with a 5 year CV and apparently legit credentials is a bit different to running a sweat shop....
  3. Do not worry. The full force of the law will look the other way on this occasion. :x
  4. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

From what little I've seen of her I would say that Lady Scotland is one of the few useful people in the Brown Cabinet - in fact its a bit of a mystery why she has anything to do with the idiot. I hope she took all reasonable precautions and this situation does not become a witch hunt.
  5. Just been over to Guido-Fawkes. He's been asking the Baroness Scotland's Special Advisers if they can confirm that she has copies of the required documentation. Their response? "We have no comment to add further to the statement last night."

So that would be a no then? :roll:
  6. Just waiting for the "can't get rid of her because her human rights would be infringed as a result" defence to raise its head here.......

Couldn't happen? Well, cynical old me :roll:
  7. Hmm this is indeed interesting

If Baroness Scotland was the womans employer then she personally would have been responsible for checking her documentation and her right to work in the UK through the UK Border Agency just like any other employer employing foreign nationals.

Regardless if she performed the checks or not she should have been issued with a Notice of Potential Liability by the UK Border Agency if the woman had been arrested whilst employed by her.

Unfortunately it appears in this case that she dismissed her before Immigration Officers had a chance to arrest her something which happens all too often.

However it does show to me the contempt that some Ministers have for the electorate if they seriously think they can just ignore the laws that we are all bound by. She seriously thought that she could just take the word of a foreign national regarding their right to work here when all other legitimate businesses have to undertake checks and keep records of documents submitted.

Either way she has to go for this.
  8. So the illegal immigrant / overstayer has been fired by her employer. I've not heard anything on the news about her being detained with a view to deportation yet. Chances of that happening??