Attitudes to joining up

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by compandstuff, Jun 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was talking to a friend of mine about what we wanted to do after gaining our A levels, and we eventually got onto to the subject of joining the armed forces....

We both want to to join the armed forces some day, I said I wanted to try my best for sandhurst and hopefuly get a place as an Infantry officer. He said I was setting my hopes too high as there are a practically a hundred applicants for one position.

I asked him what he wanted to do, and he said he didn't care what he does, so long as he get's a job.

How many people wanting to join are like this?

I know there are hundreds of unemployed young people out there, and quite a few of them will inevitably be turning to an Armed forces career.

But is this really the right type of person the armed forces should be attracting?

Someone who's just in it for a job? And doesn't care what they do?

Somebody who's only in it for the job security, and decent wage?

Half the people I know who want to join don't even have a basic grasp of our Armed forces, one said RAF regiment doesn't have offcers!

The other said the entire royal marines take on only one officer a year ? :?

(Although the second guy was studying AS levels, and a teacher said he should join as an officer so maybe he was telling porky pies to make it sound a waste of time perhaps?)

So what i'm asking is, does it matter that the Armed forces are attracting people with this sort of attitude? Are they taking up valuable space, that could go to somedoby els with the right attitude?

2. Don't worry about it, i'm sure they get weeded out sooner or later.
  3. The Army attracts all sorts, it's very good at getting rid of the ones it doesn't want. You do not need to worry about it.
  4. People join up for many, many reasons.

Some might have a lifelong ambition to serve their country. Some might do it through recommendations from family and friends. Some are padbrats who see it as a natural career choice. Some might dream of a life of adventure, some are patriotic. Some are unimaginative, some might be wheedled into it by a recruitment fair.
    However, it's only recently that I've heard young lads state they only want to do their minimum engagement and get out, due to a lack of jobs in the current environment.

As has been said, the Army will deselect (or individuals will deselect themselves) when the time is right.

The real question is NOT whether people join for the right reasons. It's far more interesting to see people mature and evaluate their reasons for remaining. My reasons for staying in are very, very far removed from my reasons for joining.
  5. There is a massive gap growing from the armed forces to civilian life I think, or understanding maybe, I just think the culture seems to be who cares and a bit selfish in normal street life.

I would like to be able to have a full career in the army, but obviously anything can happen so i'll take just passing basic as a first step :)

I have an army orientated family, so yeh. I'd rather have the values and standards from an armed forces career, than hardly any from a "normal" job.

I suppose it's being part of something big that is an appeal, also actual things to work towards, instead of always working and going nowhere.