Attention All Kilt Wearers - Kilted To Kick Cancer September 2012

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by KiltedToKickCancer, Oct 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A couple of guys in the US started a 'Kilted to Kick Cancer' campaign in the US in September 2011. I have contacted them with a view to having a similar campaign in the UK in September 2012.

The principle object of the campaign would be to draw attention to cancer - especially male specific ones - by wearing your kilt as often as practical in September 2012. So that whenever anyone asks "whats the special occasion?" you can explain that you're 'Kilted To Kick Cancer'. Maybe even have some info leaflets that you can take out of your sporran. Secondary objective is to invite them to donate money to a relevant cancer charity.

For reasons that are probably fairly obvious (it's an admin nightmare) I don't propose to make this a charity in it's own right but to direct people to existing charities. At the moment I've approached Cancer Research UK to see if they are interested.

I've also approached Magnum (the boot lot not the ice creams) who partnered the US campaign this year to see if they are interested in partnering a UK campaign next year.

Of course I'm interested in anyone who wants to participate but I'd really like to hear from anyone who would like to more involved to get a bit of momentum behind this thing.

You can PM me or e-mail
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm up for any excuse to get the great highland girdle on. Especially as they cost so much and spend most of their time attracting moths in the wardrobe.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'll happily dig mine out.
  4. As I have a lump on my left testicle, I would willingly wear my kilt and show the girlies!

Having said that, I was at a wedding at the weekend and was asked by several men if they could have their photos taken with me. Thtas something I have never experienced London full of kilt lifters?

And back on is this organised? Is it a specific day?
  5. You've seen all the planning, so far, at the start of the thread.

It's September but as for anything else I'm open to suggestions.

I intend to contact groups/organisations like Pipe Bands, Scottish Country Dancing societies, gatherings, games, distillers, St Andrew's societies, highland outfitters, kilt fanciers websites, Regiments and any other kilt wearing groups I can think of. (And FaceBook of course bloody social media, you can't do anything these days if it isn't on bloody FB)

I am waiting for a response from Cancer Research and (to a lesser extent) Magnum before going more public than arrse.

Our US cousins are using this logo -

KTKC US logo.jpg

The guys behind it are coppers and paramedics and to me it's a very American looking logo. I'd be interested to see what anyone else thinks.
  6. Oh and I meant to say - London, all of life is there. Although I find it odd when blokes (I use the word advisedly) show more than a passing interest.
  7. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Only in England do you get bastards trying to continually lift your kilt.

Fecking bunch of perverts. I mean nothing wrong in a gentleman going about his business in a kilt letting his tackle swing free.

If setting up this sort of thing would suggest contacting the Tartan Army and maybe the SRU about collecting at whereever they play fussball and that great stadium Murrayfield
  8. Let's hope that they soon find a cure for sporran cancer and the dreadfull resulting dandruff on the brogues!
  9. Nope, the Germans do it as well!

The Tartan Army must all be in their seventies by now! Perhaps you'd better just chew some neaps for them.........
  10. Fang_Farrier

11. Fang_Farrier

The football TA are less a shambles and actually a fairly well thought of organisation which does a lot of work for charity and keeps winning awards for the fan's behaviour.
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Are the Bay City Rollers still around? maybe you could entice them out of retirement to do a gig. Not that I'd go.
  13. On the logo front how does this grab you?:

Gloved Finger.jpg

A bit too 'intrusive'?
  14. Fang_Farrier

Started your facebook page yet?