Attending a 'higher rank' CTW

Taita

Old-Salt
I'm a junior officer who is jumping ship. I've had a look on the CTP website and to be blunt the officer CTW programme seems a bit johnny aged 5 which marries up with several peoples experience who have attended.

Is it possible to attend a higher rank one eg a SNCO to attend the officer course or a junior officer to hold the Senior officer one? The programme and things covered seem much better suited to the industry I am returning to.

However the website defines senior officer as Colonel upwards!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Your best bet is to ask CTP, but I imagine the courses are 'aimed at' rather than being 'only for' Officers, Senior Officers, etc.
If you can show that a particular course would be more beneficial than another one, it should not be a problem (at least not for those delivering the course, the Senior Officers will probably dismiss you as nothing more than a teaboy).

Switchback

War Hero
I'm a junior officer who is jumping ship. I've had a look on the CTP website and to be blunt the officer CTW programme seems a bit johnny aged 5 which marries up with several peoples experience who have attended.

Is it possible to attend a higher rank one eg a SNCO to attend the officer course or a junior officer to hold the Senior officer one? The programme and things covered seem much better suited to the industry I am returning to.

However the website defines senior officer as Colonel upwards!

I attended the generic one because it suited my timeline, and it was very close. Honestly, not overly useful but that was because I'd done the research myself, and they covered off basic things.

What it did for me, and I am very glad of it, is made me realise some things, in a 'seeing the light' moment.

1. You are actually leaving, this is happening, for real, and you need to own the process because no-one else gives a F*** whether you do or you don't.

2. Start to refocus effort and energy away from work onto resettlement, put in the minimum effort required to do your job, and no-more. Spend all the rest of your energy on resettlement, as not one person will thank you for sacrificing resettlement for the Army.

3. Be firm with your line manager, and get them to buy into your plan and make sure it works for you to give you the resettlement time when and where you need it. Don't let yourself be seen off by shit LM who only care about working you until the second you walk out the gate.

CTP generally I haven't found that useful, other than for booking the odd course.

I have, however, found the Officers' Association tremendously useful, in terms of networking events, their networking lists, the insight days into different industries and their career consultations.

I attended the generic one because it suited my timeline, and it was very close. Honestly, not overly useful but that was because I'd done the research myself, and they covered off basic things.

What it did for me, and I am very glad of it, is made me realise some things, in a 'seeing the light' moment.

1. You are actually leaving, this is happening, for real, and you need to own the process because no-one else gives a F*** whether you do or you don't.

2. Start to refocus effort and energy away from work onto resettlement, put in the minimum effort required to do your job, and no-more. Spend all the rest of your energy on resettlement, as not one person will thank you for sacrificing resettlement for the Army.

3. Be firm with your line manager, and get them to buy into your plan and make sure it works for you to give you the resettlement time when and where you need it. Don't let yourself be seen off by shit LM who only care about working you until the second you walk out the gate.

CTP generally I haven't found that useful, other than for booking the odd course.

I have, however, found the Officers' Association tremendously useful, in terms of networking events, their networking lists, the insight days into different industries and their career consultations.
All of the above, in spades.

I attended a SNCO one. The instructor was fantastic.

An MPGS Pte, who was quite old, was on it. He quit after day one...

Gen dit.

spartan5762

War Hero
Did a mixed Officer/SNCO one and to be fair nobody gave a rats ass what rank anyone was. Beware though some of the SNCOs will be leaving as Sgts after 22 years+ so there were a few on mine who just dripped for drippings sake.

Didn't really find it that useful if I am honest but at the same time I didn't want to throw myself onto my pen so it wasn't as bad as I had heard.

asr1

War Hero
I wouldn't worry about it - the CTW is useful in that it gives you a bit of time to think about what you want to do. I doubt you'll see any tangible benefit from attending the different courses. They aren't generally run by people who know much about industry - rather like school careers advisers!

I recommend talking to the Officers Association as soon as you can as their networking events and opportunities to meet people who have left are far more valuable. I don't know what capbadge you are but investigate whether there are any structures in place to help transitioning officers - the REME, gunners and sappers all have things like that I believe.

There are also industry specific ex-Forces groups which run events purely to give something back - also worth more of your time than CTW. E.g. Lloyds military network - Sign Up

Also go to the liquid list in London - it's the first Thursday of every month, you don't need to register or anything. http://www.thelistuk.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221&Itemid=41

What industry are you returning to?

Taita

Old-Salt
I used to work in IT but I will be entering / returning to information security.

Latest Threads