Attempts to kill Hitler.

Over on the Valkyrie thread in the films forum it has been stated that the 1944 attempt of Adolf life was just one of many.
Googling it didn't seem to come up with a definate number and was mainly dominated by links to the 1944 attempt.
So how many attempt were the in total? And were they all for real, (not just said by senior Germans at the end of the war to make themselves look better).

stacker1 said:
Over on the Valkyrie thread in the films forum it has been stated that the 1944 attempt of Adolf life was just one of many.
Googling it didn't seem to come up with a definate number and was mainly dominated by links to the 1944 attempt.
So how many attempt were the in total? And were they all for real, (not just said by senior Germans at the end of the war to make themselves look better).
I remember once reading the number was in the forties - don't know if all were serious attempts or not.

There is a good book, 'Hitler's German Enemies', that details the lives of fifteen people who resisted him and his regime - and they were not just members of the military.

KevinB said:
stacker1 said:
I remember once reading the number was in the forties - don't know if all were serious attempts or not.
Sort of attention getting assassination attempts?

Scene: An upleasant little room with a table and two chairs. There are two men seated, one of whom is tied to his chair and is looking like he has spent the weekend at MDNs.

Interrogator "I vill ask you vunce again! Vy did you attempt to kill der Fuhrer?"

Prisoner (on the verge of breaking down in tears) "He never pays my plans any attention! He is alvays looking at ze plans of ze others but not mine. It's not fair! My plan for zee Atlantic wall was better than Rommels but I never get a look in. It' just not fair"

Interrogator (with a look of surprise which melts into paternalistic sympathy) "Ach! Wilhelm vy did you not tell me of zis earlier. If I had known I could have put in a word for you."

UK TV history channel have just run a series called 'Hilter's Bodyguard' in which they covered just about all the plots.

CutLunchCommando said:
hairyhandbag said:
CutLunchCommando said:
hairyhandbag said:
I know it is only wiki but I came across these brave people many years ago doing research etc. Read this then dig deeper.
Sometimes you just got to respect young courage
The White Rose

HH
What a coincidence! Kev like a poem about them.
Eh?
Bear with me I'm hunting the link to the poem. All vill become klar, ya?
I am trying to get my 2 atom brain around the statement that you have quoted Kev (I presume KevB) for some reason. Have I missed something

HH

From the "Any Poetry..." thread.

CutLunchCommando said:
KevinB said:
Your Leaflets

Did you think they could crush
Krupp's arms, or stop
a Panzer in its tracks, or keep
the trains from running to Bergen-Belsen?

They only burned
More interesting in context Kevin.

Your Leaflets (Or Die Weiße Rose )

Krupp's arms, or stop

They only burned.

Padraig Devlin

More from Padraig here. LINK

CutLunchCommando said:
From the "Any Poetry..." thread.

CutLunchCommando said:
KevinB said:
Your Leaflets

Krupp's arms, or stop

They only burned
More interesting in context Kevin.

Your Leaflets (Or Die Weiße Rose )

Krupp's arms, or stop

They only burned.

Padraig Devlin

More from Padraig here. LINK
Right I give up, what have I missed

HH

There was an attempt on Hitler's life when he was just starting out, a bomb in one of the beerhalls he had been talking in, unfortunately it went off after he had left the hall.

CutLunchCommando said:
hairyhandbag said:
Right I give up, what have I missed
KevB doesn't rate The White Rose. To the extent of writing poetry about it apparently (unless he's attempting a wah or poetry walting).
I still do not quite get it but I think it is time to draw a line under this one.
The memorial is quite striking by the way.

However if Hitler were to be assinated by the laws of cricket or sea fishing then I am the man.

See ya C-L-C

HH

There were 42 "serious" attacks on Hiler`s life altogether, and many more planned but not executed.

http://www.hitlerpages.com/pagina69.html

The German resistance to the Regime was larger than most people imagine.
Very brave people, who deserve our respect, despite not succeeding.

RIP Graf Shenk von Stauffenburg, the members of the White Rose and all those others, who tried.

"There was an attempt on Hitler's life when he was just starting out, a bomb in one of the beerhalls he had been talking in, unfortunately it went off after he had left the hall."

Memory says the place was The Burgerbrau Keller in Munich. It was still there in 70/80s when I visited and I seem to have read that it was only pulled down in last couple of years as it was becoming something of a 'Shrine' for ultra right wingers.
john

SOE and like had offers from local groups and people able to assasinate of Hitler more than is published.
Churchill hated Hitler but did not like the big bosses to be topped like commoners (Churchill's ego was as big as his arch rival)
SOE and the like were a bit negative to assassinate enemy leadership as reprisals were brutal to locals.
They use the the assasination of Hitlers protoge in Prague as an example.
It is also quite well known that if Hitler was assasinated the allies would have to compile a whole new profile of the enemy leadership and the new boss might not be as predicatable as a known player.

IIRC, the head of SOE's German section Lt Col Ronald Thornley was against the Foxley plan as he felt Hitler's assassination would cause him to become a martyr and would lead to problems after Germany's defeated.

Re. the White Rose, we reproduced one of their leaflets which the RAF airdropped over Germany. See here:
http://www.psywar.org/product_1943G039.php

Latest Threads