Attempted Terrorist Attack, Delta Airlines

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Dec 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

First report was a passenger set off fireworks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8430612.stm

Now News Channels claiming that it was an attempted AQ attack, and the passenger attempted to ignite a bomb whilst on approach to Detroit.

Not much online at the moment.

2. They will all claim suspected AQ attack... it could be something as simple as a pissed dutchman trying to play funny buggers.

Although how he got firecrackers through security is another matter altogether. I think someone will be having a no coffee/no biscuits meeting with the boss

3. ITV news said he was attempting to ignite a powder. Wonder what will be banned from hand baggage next?

4. Gremlin

It was a bod from 'An African Country', not a Cloggie, and the AQ link comes from his initial 'interview' apparently.

Having said that, my Tin Foil is still on its roll in the kitchen atm!

5. In about 24-48 hrs time there will have emerged some facts - in the meantime this has the potential for a great Xmas day Internet ****-fest.

C_C

p.s. why does a reference to 'relaxing in the gentleman's way' get turned to an asterix??

Edited to query ediring

6. Typical - powder. I bet they stop me taking my cocaine home next week

7. Fcuking suicide bomber Walt... :roll:

8. You can guarantee it won't be the big glass bottles of Vodka they sell on board the plane. It would be pointless - nobody could make a weapon out of them.

9. Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!

10. Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:

11. As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures

12. Gremlin

What do you expect? It was a Nigerian FFS. They couldn't organise a fireworks party at Astra's proving ground in Kent!

13. Nice to note your still sober enough to say ASTRA'S NOT ASDA'S

14. How quickly we forget... :roll:

This does, indeed, sound like Amature Night in Dixie. But when AQ do get their act together, the results can be spectacular, to say the least; 9/11, Bali, Madrid, 7/7, Mumbai... 8O

As the Bog-Wogs pointed out, we have to be lucky all the time. The bad guys only have to get lucky once. The plot to blow up ten planes simultaneously a few years back showed a high degree of planning and technical skill. The only reason thousands of people did not die was that Plod and the Spooks played out of their skins.

It is invetible that Al Queda will hit the UK again, and hit us hard. Given the failure of many of their recent attempts to use suicide bombers, it is probable they will change the method of attack; perhaps a Mumbai-style operation. A small group of well trained fanatics armed with automatic weapons.

Given that any major UK city has countless soft targets - hospitals, schools, supermarkets etc - and that police armed response outside of London is limited to a relatively small number of officers, such attacks would cause massive loss of life. Indeed, a former CO of 22 SAS has written a report in which he comes to the conclusion that even CO19 and the SAS could not contain a Mumbai-style attack in London without high casualties. So the rest of the country is fcuked.

And of course there is always the ultimate nightmare scenario: that Al Queda somehow come into possession of a crude CBRN weapon... :evil:

15. And like Major and BLIAR will you roll over?