Attempted Terrorist Attack, Delta Airlines

#2
They will all claim suspected AQ attack... it could be something as simple as a pissed dutchman trying to play funny buggers.

Although how he got firecrackers through security is another matter altogether. I think someone will be having a no coffee/no biscuits meeting with the boss
 
#4
Kakashi said:
They will all claim suspected AQ attack... it could be something as simple as a pissed dutchman trying to play funny buggers.

Although how he got firecrackers through security is another matter altogether. I think someone will be having a no coffee/no biscuits meeting with the boss
It was a bod from 'An African Country', not a Cloggie, and the AQ link comes from his initial 'interview' apparently.

Having said that, my Tin Foil is still on its roll in the kitchen atm!
 
#5
In about 24-48 hrs time there will have emerged some facts - in the meantime this has the potential for a great Xmas day Internet ****-fest.

C_C

p.s. why does a reference to 'relaxing in the gentleman's way' get turned to an asterix??

Edited to query ediring
 
#6
Typical - powder. I bet they stop me taking my cocaine home next week
 
#7
#8
vampangua said:
ITV news said he was attempting to ignite a powder. Wonder what will be banned from hand baggage next?
You can guarantee it won't be the big glass bottles of Vodka they sell on board the plane. It would be pointless - nobody could make a weapon out of them.
 
#9
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
 
#10
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
 
#11
FrankCastle said:
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
 
#12
countymounty said:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
What do you expect? It was a Nigerian FFS. They couldn't organise a fireworks party at Astra's proving ground in Kent!
 
#13
Gremlin said:
countymounty said:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
What do you expect? It was a Nigerian FFS. They couldn't organise a fireworks party at Astra's proving ground in Kent!
Nice to note your still sober enough to say ASTRA'S NOT ASDA'S
 
#14
countymounty said:
FrankCastle said:
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
How quickly we forget... :roll:

This does, indeed, sound like Amature Night in Dixie. But when AQ do get their act together, the results can be spectacular, to say the least; 9/11, Bali, Madrid, 7/7, Mumbai... 8O

As the Bog-Wogs pointed out, we have to be lucky all the time. The bad guys only have to get lucky once. The plot to blow up ten planes simultaneously a few years back showed a high degree of planning and technical skill. The only reason thousands of people did not die was that Plod and the Spooks played out of their skins.

It is invetible that Al Queda will hit the UK again, and hit us hard. Given the failure of many of their recent attempts to use suicide bombers, it is probable they will change the method of attack; perhaps a Mumbai-style operation. A small group of well trained fanatics armed with automatic weapons.

Given that any major UK city has countless soft targets - hospitals, schools, supermarkets etc - and that police armed response outside of London is limited to a relatively small number of officers, such attacks would cause massive loss of life. Indeed, a former CO of 22 SAS has written a report in which he comes to the conclusion that even CO19 and the SAS could not contain a Mumbai-style attack in London without high casualties. So the rest of the country is fcuked.

And of course there is always the ultimate nightmare scenario: that Al Queda somehow come into possession of a crude CBRN weapon... :evil:
 
#15
Werewolf said:
countymounty said:
FrankCastle said:
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
How quickly we forget... :roll:

This does, indeed, sound like Amature Night in Dixie. But when AQ do get their act together, the results can be spectacular, to say the least; 9/11, Bali, Madrid, 7/7, Mumbai... 8O

As the Bog-Wogs pointed out, we have to be lucky all the time. The bad guys only have to get lucky once. The plot to blow up ten planes simultaneously a few years back showed a high degree of planning and technical skill. The only reason thousands of people did not die was that the UK Security Services played out of their skins.

It is invetible that Al Queda will hit the UK again, and hit us hard. Given the failure of many of their recent attempts to use suicide bombers, it is probable they will change the method of attack; perhaps a Mumbai-style operation, with a small group of well trained fanatics armed with automatic weapons.

Given that any major UK city has countless soft targets - hospitals, schools, supermarkets etc - and that police armed response outside of London is limited to a relatively small number of officers, such attacks would cause massive loss of life. Indeed, a former CO of 22 SAS has written a report in which he comes to the conclusion that even CO19 and the SAS could not contain a Mumbai-style attack in London without high casualties. So the rest of the country is fcuked.

And of course there is always the ultimate nightmare scenario: that Al Queda somehow come into possession of a crude CBRN weapon... :evil:
And like Major and BLIAR will you roll over?
 
#16
White House: Failed plane attack an attempted act of terrorism

By Scott Butterworth and Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, December 25, 2009; 7:20 PM

A Nigerian national, claiming to be acting on behalf of al-Qaeda, is in custody in Detroit after allegedly attempting to light an incendiary device aboard a Northwest Airlines flight after it landed Friday, federal officials said.

A White House official said the incident was an attempted act of terrorism. The FBI is investigating and President Obama, celebrating Christmas in Hawaii, was told of the incident about three hours after the plane landed, officials said.

Obama has told White House officials that all appropriate measures be taken to increase security for air travel, a spokesman said. Nevertheless, officials said, they are not prepared to raise the terrorism alert level, currently at orange -- or the second-highest of five levels -- for domestic and international air travel.

Federal officials said that the suspect said he was acting on behalf of al-Qaeda. However, the officials added that they are regarding that claim with great caution and will be investigating the claim thoroughly.

Minor injuries were reported aboard Northwest Airlines Flight 253, an Airbus 330 carrying 278 passengers from Amsterdam.

The 23-year-old suspect lighted a powdery substance as the aircraft was preparing for landing, around noon, a federal counterterrorism official said. Two other passengers on the flight noticed, and a third person jumped on the man, the official said.

A spokeswoman with Delta Air Lines, which is merging with Northwest, told the Associated Press the passenger was immediately subdued after trying to light what were initially believed to be firecrackers.

A man who said he was on Flight 253, Syed Jafry of Holland, Mich., told the Detroit Free Press that he heard "a pop and saw some smoke and fire." Then, he said, "a young man behind me jumped on him."

Jafry said there was a little bit of commotion for about 10 to 15 minutes.

One passenger from the flight was taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, hospital spokeswoman Tracy Justice told the Detroit Free Press. She would not say what the injuries were.

CNN reported that the suspect was taken to a hospital to be treated for burns.

Although the device was originally described as firecrackers, investigators believe the material was actually part of an incendiary device, the counterterrorism official said. That distinction from an explosive would limit the potential impact to the aircraft's structure and the lethality to passengers, and also provide a possible clue as to whether it should have been detected by existing explosives detection equipment.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said Obama was told of the incident between 2 and 2:30 p.m. Eastern time. The president convened a secure conference call with counterterrorism and homeland security adviser John Brennan and National Security Council chief of staff Denis McDonough, Burton said.

Staff writers Anne E. Kornblut, Carrie Johnson and Sholnn Freeman contributed to this report.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/25/AR2009122501355.html?hpid=topnews
 
#17
countymounty said:
Werewolf said:
countymounty said:
FrankCastle said:
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
How quickly we forget... :roll:

This does, indeed, sound like Amature Night in Dixie. But when AQ do get their act together, the results can be spectacular, to say the least; 9/11, Bali, Madrid, 7/7, Mumbai... 8O

As the Bog-Wogs pointed out, we have to be lucky all the time. The bad guys only have to get lucky once. The plot to blow up ten planes simultaneously a few years back showed a high degree of planning and technical skill. The only reason thousands of people did not die was that the UK Security Services played out of their skins.

It is invetible that Al Queda will hit the UK again, and hit us hard. Given the failure of many of their recent attempts to use suicide bombers, it is probable they will change the method of attack; perhaps a Mumbai-style operation, with a small group of well trained fanatics armed with automatic weapons.

Given that any major UK city has countless soft targets - hospitals, schools, supermarkets etc - and that police armed response outside of London is limited to a relatively small number of officers, such attacks would cause massive loss of life. Indeed, a former CO of 22 SAS has written a report in which he comes to the conclusion that even CO19 and the SAS could not contain a Mumbai-style attack in London without high casualties. So the rest of the country is fcuked.

And of course there is always the ultimate nightmare scenario: that Al Queda somehow come into possession of a crude CBRN weapon... :evil:
And like Major and BLIAR will you roll over?
Don't ever compare me to Teflon Tony. I may have done some bad sh1t in my time, but I'm not in his fcuking league. :evil:

Of course I'm not advocating panic, never mind capitulation. I'm simply pointing out that complacency is potentially very dangerous. :roll:
 
#18
WASHINGTON — A Northwest Airlines passenger from Nigeria, who said he was acting on al-Qaida’s instructions, tried to blow up the plane today as it was landing in Detroit, law enforcement and national security officials said.

Passengers subdued the man and may have prevented him from detonating the explosives, the officials said.

“We believe this was an attempted act of terrorism,” a White House official said.

Federal officials imposed stricter screening measures after the incident.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., ranking GOP member of the House Homeland Security Committee, identified the suspect as Abdul Mudallad, a Nigerian. King said the flight began in Nigeria and went through Amsterdam en route to Detroit. There were 278 passengers aboard the Airbus 330.

There was nothing out of the ordinary until the flight was on final approach to Detroit, said Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory. That is when the pilot declared an emergency and landed without incident shortly thereafter, Cory said in an e-mail message. The plane landed at 11:51 a.m. EST.

One of the U.S. intelligence officials said the explosive device was a mix of powder and liquid. It failed when the passenger tried to detonate it.

The passenger was being questioned Friday evening. An intelligence source said the Nigerian passenger was being held and treated in an Ann Arbor, Mich., hospital.

All the sources spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing.

One law enforcement source said the man claimed to have been instructed by al-Qaida to detonate the plane over U.S. soil.

The official said an official determination of a terrorist act would have to come from the attorney general.

The official added that additional security measures are being taken without raising the airline threat level.

The official declined to describe what additional measures law enforcement was taking.

The White House was coordinating briefings for the president through the Homeland Security Department, the Transportation Security Administration and the FBI.

A law enforcement source said the explosives may have been strapped to the man’s body but investigators weren’t immediately certain, partly because of the struggle with other passengers.

One passenger from the flight was taken to the University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, hospital spokeswoman Tracy Justice said. She didn’t know the person’s condition, or whether the person was a man or woman. She referred all inquiries to the FBI.

Passenger Syed Jafri, a U.S. citizen who had flown from the United Arab Emirates, said the incident occurred during the plane’s descent. Jafri said he was seated three rows behind the passenger and said he saw a glow, and noticed a smoke smell. Then, he said, “a young man behind me jumped on him.”

“Next thing you know, there was a lot of panic,” he said.

Rich Griffith, a passenger from Pontiac, said he was seated too far in the back to see what had happened. But he said he didn’t mind being detained on the plane for several hours. “It’s frustrating if you don’t want to keep your country safe,” he said. “We can’t have what’s going on everywhere else happening here.”

President Barack Obama was notified of the incident and discussed it with security officials, the White House said. It said he is monitoring the situation and receiving regular updates from his vacation spot in Hawaii.

J.P. Karas, 55, of Wyandotte, Mich., said he was driving down a road near the airport and saw a Delta jet at the end of the runway, surrounded by police cars, an ambulance, a bus and some TV trucks.

“I don’t ever recall seeing a plane on that runway ever before and I pass by there frequently,” he said.

Karas said it was difficult to tell what was going on, but it looked like the front wheel was off the runway.

“We encourage those with future travel plans to stay in touch with their airline and to visit www.tsa.gov for updates,” Homeland Security Department said in a statement.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has been briefed on the incident and is closely monitoring the situation.

The department encouraged travelers to be observant and aware of their surroundings and report any suspicious behavior to law enforcement officials.

Jakes reported from Baghdad, Iraq. Randi Berris and Jim Irwin in West Bloomfield, Mich., and Devlin Barrett, Shelley Adler and Joan Lowy in Washington, and Philip Elliott in Oahu, Hawaii, contributed to this report.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/artic...sources++Al-Qaida+link+in+failed+plane+attack
 
#19
Sounds like a lone nutter, inspired by Al Queda rather than a member of an AQ Cell. It appears to be a cruder version of the "Shoe Bomber", Richard Reid, who had secreted an explosive powder in a specially adapted training shoe. His attempt only failed because it had been raining heavily and his shoes had got wet before he boarded the aircraft.

Investigators said that had Reid's shoe explosive been dry, it would have done enough damage to bring down the plane.
 
#20
Werewolf said:
countymounty said:
Werewolf said:
countymounty said:
FrankCastle said:
countymounty said:
Is this the face of concern? It's in Septic land, I'll worry about it (maybe) when I sober up after crimble,until then I reallycouldn't care less. Pass me another!
Seconded. If that's the best Al Queda can do, I'm not going to lose any sleep. :roll:
As far as I'm concerned compared to P.I.R.A. in the bad old days they're a bunch of amatures
How quickly we forget... :roll:

This does, indeed, sound like Amature Night in Dixie. But when AQ do get their act together, the results can be spectacular, to say the least; 9/11, Bali, Madrid, 7/7, Mumbai... 8O

As the Bog-Wogs pointed out, we have to be lucky all the time. The bad guys only have to get lucky once. The plot to blow up ten planes simultaneously a few years back showed a high degree of planning and technical skill. The only reason thousands of people did not die was that the UK Security Services played out of their skins.

It is invetible that Al Queda will hit the UK again, and hit us hard. Given the failure of many of their recent attempts to use suicide bombers, it is probable they will change the method of attack; perhaps a Mumbai-style operation, with a small group of well trained fanatics armed with automatic weapons.

Given that any major UK city has countless soft targets - hospitals, schools, supermarkets etc - and that police armed response outside of London is limited to a relatively small number of officers, such attacks would cause massive loss of life. Indeed, a former CO of 22 SAS has written a report in which he comes to the conclusion that even CO19 and the SAS could not contain a Mumbai-style attack in London without high casualties. So the rest of the country is fcuked.

And of course there is always the ultimate nightmare scenario: that Al Queda somehow come into possession of a crude CBRN weapon... :evil:
And like Major and BLIAR will you roll over?
Don't ever compare me to Teflon Tony. I may have done some bad sh1t in my time, but I'm not in his fcuking league. :evil:

Of course I'm not advocating panic, never mind capitulation. I'm simply pointing out that complacency is potentially very dangerous. :roll:
I didnot nor did I imply that YOU as a person was or in any shape or form resembled that unspeakable person!!!! I simply meant would your collective powers that be "Roll over",after all given their track record from the 1950's onward they seem to be quite adept at it?
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads