Attempted murder on police officer

Yeah, my thoughts are with the family also, fingers crossed that he pulls through. I'm not sure if I'll sleep tonight? I may drive up with some flowers.

Hope the officer makes a full recovery and that the two criminals are given sufficiently stiff punishment to deter them from behaving this way again.

"TWO Carlisle youths - one just 14 - have been arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a policeman after an incident near Cockermouth.

A male officer is in the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven with serious injuries after he was hit by a car near the Fitz Cottage roundabout at around 5.15am.

A police statement said a stinger device was used to stop a Vauxhall Corsa, which collided with a police car and the policeman."

So, you deploy your stinger device, the driver loses control, hits a police car and a bobby and that's attempted murder?

Shouldn't it just be a breach of H&S on the part of whoever deployed the stinger?

It's never wise to stand in the driving line when a stinger/caltrop is being deployed. Asking for trouble.

The chances of the little scrotes getting a custodial sentence are just about zero. Whether it was a Copper or Joe Public, they should taken out the back of the police station for the double tap, then they can't breed.

FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
"TWO Carlisle youths - one just 14 - have been arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a policeman after an incident near Cockermouth.

A male officer is in the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven with serious injuries after he was hit by a car near the Fitz Cottage roundabout at around 5.15am.

A police statement said a stinger device was used to stop a Vauxhall Corsa, which collided with a police car and the policeman."

So, you deploy your stinger device, the driver loses control, hits a police car and a bobby and that's attempted murder?

Shouldn't it just be a breach of H&S on the part of whoever deployed the stinger?
Unlike Caltrops Stinger is designed to let air out of the tyres slowly (the spikes are hollow and remain stuck in the tyre) in order to prevent the driver losing control. It would be very rare for a driver to lose control and crash immediately after driving over a stinger. Normally drivers are only charged with murder or attempted murder if there is a blatant and deliberate attempt to drive the vehicle at someone.

LEGZ30 said: - Normally drivers are only charged with murder or attempted murder if there is a blatant and deliberate attempt to drive the vehicle at someone. should have added ''Or a copper is the injured party'' Not often someone is charged with attempted murder when mowing down 'civilians' no matter how wreckless their driving.

Im with Smudge67 on this, this country (and this site) are slipping into sickening fake sentimentallity. the only winners are Interflora.

Are we gonna have posts everytime someone in uniform is hurt? where will it end? suggest you 'girls' all grow up and stop 'crying' at every oportunity. You dont care - you just think its trendy to care, well its not its boring.

fusrml said:
LEGZ30 said: - Normally drivers are only charged with murder or attempted murder if there is a blatant and deliberate attempt to drive the vehicle at someone. should have added ''Or a copper is the injured party'' Not often someone is charged with attempted murder when mowing down 'civilians' no matter how wreckless their driving.

Im with Smudge67 on this, this country (and this site) are slipping into sickening fake sentimentallity. the only winners are Interflora.

Are we gonna have posts everytime someone in uniform is hurt? where will it end? suggest you 'girls' all grow up and stop 'crying' at every oportunity. You dont care - you just think its trendy to care, well its not its boring.
Don't let Violent Badger, RFUK, or CHsomething-or-other see you making comments like that! They'll call you names ;)

Without the police around who would you call when you really need help.
Hope the officer recovers, best wishes to family

Try actually reading the report, arrested for alleged attempted murder. They won't be charged with it. Don't believe everything you read in the press, they bulls1t a lot you know, really.

Smudge can you give me a lift, I've a teddy to put on the roundabout.

tiger stacker said:
Hope the officer recovers, best wishes to family
Ghostbusters? :lol:

tiger stacker said:
Well I've tried calling the police with no help whatsoever so any suggestions from you would be appreciated!

Actually I'm exaggerating, I have got three crime numbers from them, I find them a great comfort when I'm feeling let down.

Perhaps we can revive the slave trade and sell little scrotes like this 'down the river'.
They will never be anything other than a plague on civillised society and a drain on the economy, so why don't we profit from them and sell them to some vilebut pragmatic third world dictatorship willing to utilise them in a constructive way- like working them to death in logging camps or building desert highways. No loss to the gene pool and two fit and energetic young lads should be worth at least ten grand each as chimney sweeps for nuclear reactors or something similar.
Lets start simply exporting our social problems- it worked admirably in the past.
Any money raised by the sale could go to the injured copper and his family.

John_Charity_Spring said:
Perhaps we can revive the slave trade and sell little scrotes like this 'down the river'.
They will never be anything other than a plague on civillised society and a drain on the economy, so why don't we profit from them and sell them to some vilebut pragmatic third world dictatorship willing to utilise them in a constructive way- like working them to death in logging camps or building desert highways. No loss to the gene pool and two fit and energetic young lads should be worth at least ten grand each as chimney sweeps for nuclear reactors or something similar.
Now calm down, the police aren't that bad........

IT_Guy said:
tiger stacker said:
Well I've tried calling the police with no help whatsoever so any suggestions from you would be appreciated!

Actually I'm exaggerating, I have got three crime numbers from them, I find them a great comfort when I'm feeling let down.
I got one of them too. It was a great comfort! especially when my car windows got smashed. I now have a cricket bat. I find that a lot more comforting. Especially when it makes that tell tale broken bone sound.

But, yeah, thoughts are with the family and the local community.

If the reported facts are correct,the police errected a device to stop/slow the car,and the inexperienced driver then hit a policeman.That can hardly be called attempted murder.

However,whenever a policeman is the 'victim of crime',the Service will always pull out all the stops.

A few years ago,the wife of a friend of mine,left to live with a man who turned out to be a police informer/active participant.As he had dealt with this kind of person,in a previous life,the situation was obvious.The police,to protect their informer,then gave my friend a very hard time,including charging him with ABH,as the 2 people claimed they had lost weight through stress.That was a new one on me at the time,and showed the desperation of the police,to get a 'result'.However when the case came to court,it was dismissed,when the defence wished to call the informant!

Here's the latest from the evening paper.

TWO teenagers from Carlisle - one aged 14 - have been arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a policeman after a high-speed car chase in Cumbria today.

PC Jon Sherlock, 31, who is from Carlisle, was in intensive care this morning after he was hit by a stolen car near the Fitz Cottage roundabout at Cockermouth at about 5.15am.

Police said a stinger demobilising device was used to stop the Vauxhall Corsa, which then collided with a police car and the policeman.

PC Sherlock, who is based at Cockermouth police station and was last year commended for his work, was said to be in a serious but not critical condition at the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven.

His injuries were not thought to be life-threatening this morning.

The collision followed a sequence of events that started after officers first received reports at about 4am that a blue Vauxhall Corsa had been stolen from Carlisle.

The car later left a petrol station in Workington without paying for fuel.

It was then seen being driven erratically and at high speed on the A595 and was followed by police in a pursuit lasting about 15 minutes.

The stinger device was then used at the Fitz Cottage roundabout to bring the car to a stop.

The driver and passenger of the stolen vehicle, who are aged 17 and 14, were detained at the scene and arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer.

PC Sherlock joined Cumbria police in May 2001 and was posted to Workington where he remained until 2003 when he moved to Cockermouth.

Last year he was given a certificate of merit for tackling youth disorder and drug dealers in Workington.

Cumbria’s new chief constable Craig Mackey paid tribute as he visited the scene of the collision this morning.

Before he left to see the officer in hospital, he said: “It just goes to show the lengths our officers go to tackle crime. Our thoughts are with him and his family.”

His deputy, Christine Twigg, said: “When an incident like this happens to an officer going about their normal duties it has a major effect on family, colleagues and the wider community.

“As a Constabulary we will do everything we can to provide support at this difficult time, and at the same time, bring the offenders to justice.”

The incident caused traffic chaos around west Cumbria today.

The A595 between the Moota and Belle Vue roundabouts was closed, as was the A66 between the Sheep & Wool Centre and the Brigham-Great Broughton junction.

Both roads were due to reopen at about lunchtime.

Police are appealing for witnesses. Anyone with information can call 0845 3300247 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Here's hoping he makes a speedy recovery.

Latest Threads