Attempt to break the world record for the highest parachute jump.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ex_colonial, Oct 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought that breaking the sound barrier was going to be almost impossible to avoid. Lots of luck to him either way.

2. Agreed, 'cos he will need it.

3. If he's relying on luck, he'll die.

4. Correct me if I am wrong but without propulsion to obtain sound barrier speeds how could he possibly go beyond his own "Terminal Velocity" speed ?

A free-falling object achieves its terminal velocity when the downward force of gravity (FG) equals the upward force of drag (Fd). This causes the net force on the object to be zero, resulting in an acceleration of zero.[1]

As the object accelerates (usually downwards due to gravity), the drag force acting on the object increases, causing the acceleration to decrease. At a particular speed, the drag force produced will equal the object's weight (mg). At this point the object ceases to accelerate altogether and continues falling at a constant speed called terminal velocity (also called settling velocity). An object moving downward with greater than terminal velocity (for example because it was thrown downwards or it fell from a thinner part of the atmosphere or it changed shape) will slow down until it reaches terminal velocity.

5. I have no idea, the TV commentator & the article mentioned that at the very high altitude 120,000 ft plus, there would be virtually no wind resistance/drag, that could be the factor. Apparently he did acheive a speed in excessof 530 mph in his last drop snip "During the July 25 jump, Baumgartner reached a top freefall speed of 537 mph -- about as fast as a commercial airliner. But while his capsule got knocked around a bit, the skydiver landed safe and sound. "

6. I believe he will be so high that the air resistance will be negligible. No drag - just gravity accelerating him.

Barking - best of luck to him!

7. If I remember rightly in the book "Seven Troop" by Andy McNab, he tells of one of his mates, who later commited suicide by jumping out of a plane sans Parachute, who tried to get the backing to do the same. So definately more than a touch of madness involved!

8. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

'Freefall' by Tom Read, which was a pseudonym for Charles Bruce ('Nish'), tells the story in the man's own words. RIP.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Strangely this book led me to actually do my first skydive.....says a lot about my mental state!

10. Felix has been the topic of a few previous ARRSE forums. We've commented on Joe Kittinger's record of 103,000 as near as dammit, set in 1960.

Felix is a very clued up gent who spent a lot of time researching the necessaries to take Joe's record. There's been a series of prelim descents designed to shake down the equipment, the most recent being the one the OP quotes.
    Judging on a current technological basis, Joe's descent in comparison, was achieved by the use of duct tape and para cord combined with a very limited exposure to free fall skills such as was known in the '60's.

In my limited understanding of the 'big-one', Felix's issues are likely to centre on the transfer of the O2 mix supply from the gondola's system to his portable pressure demand supply, but in truth, I'm speculating.

This is no foolhardy stunt. A lot of the NASA type gents will have a very close eye on this one. Good luck to him and God speed.

• Like Like x 4
  11. 32ft per second squared IIRC?

12. I love correcting myself.....I found this article on Popular Science mag which explains how and what is going to happen.

Red Bull's Stratos Mission To Attempt World Record Skydive | Popular Science

"For a short time inside his pressurized spacesuit, Baumgartner will be the fastest man alive. Thirty seconds after leaping from a small capsule, in fact, he'll exceed the speed of sound in the thin upper atmosphere by traveling 690 mph. And if he safely parachutes to the ground between 12 and 15 minutes later, he'll walk away with at least four new world records: the highest skydive, the longest free fall, the first to reach supersonic speeds in free fall, and the highest manned balloon ride."

13. If you really had a notion to be pedantic - his head will pass through the sound barrier, microseconds before his feet. It's factored that he'll adopt the Canneroso position ( Jesus I'm getting old) for the young'uns - vertical body position, head to earth before resuming in the lower altitudes, the conventional 'frog' position.

Again for the young'uns, in order to achieve your 'D' licence ( BPA Rules) you had to demonstrate the Canneroso position as well as track position etc etc.......... G3 will be along in a minute to expand on this.