Attacker of 97 yr old veteran escapes jail

Suppose we might ask how a known paranoid schizophrenic was free to roam the streets without benefit of treatment but the answer is too depressing.

The judge was no doubt acting under "guidance" because the prisons are already overfull with those sufering from mental health problems and there is nowhere else to put them.

His chances of not meeting retribution in sunny Croydon must be low, so no doubt he has been rehoused at vast public expense.

Ventress

LE
I see this lunacy almost daily via CPS Court results.

When a defendants has 160 previous convictions and has never see the inside of a cell or secure unit, you know you are onto a loser expecting the Judicial system to deal with thieves, thugs, general $hitbags in a robust manner- Cos it aint going to happen.

What was this judge smoking? Does he think that a black person,who is admitted to have paranoid tendencies,should not go to jail? I am disgusted,and hope that the AG will take appropriate action-but I'm not holding my breath.

MrPVRd said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7056325.stm

This is the most despicable thing I have read about in some time.

Does anyone know where the proceedings are likely to be published, the likelihood of an appeal by the crown prosecution service, and any means by which a third party can complain about the leniency of this judgement either to government or to a professional organisation?

Attacker of elderly man sentenced

A man who left a 97-year-old war veteran blind in one eye after attacking him on a packed tram has been given a three-year supervision order.

Stephen Gordon, 44, punched Shah Chaudury, who walks with the aid of two walking sticks, in Croydon, south London, in December.

Gordon was found guilty of grievous bodily harm after the attack was caught on CCTV, Croydon Crown Court heard.

The British Transport Police said they were "disappointed" with the sentence.
I think it might have something to do with the length of time he has been held in remand?

Unfortunately, I no longer have access to any law reports so I cannot do more research.

This is all I have been able to find:

Sentencing Gordon today to three years' supervision, Judge Macrae said a jail term was not in the best interest of the public.

Instead, he said, getting Gordon treatment for his illness was "in the best interests of the public in the future"..
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/...0.man_escapes_jail_for_blinding_96yearold.php

The report also mentions that he is a paranoid schizophrenic.

That might go some way towards explaining the sentence.

Personally, I think too little account has been given towards the deterrence part of sentencing.

Sounds like the bloke needs to be in an asylum or put down.Just not loose in the community sad case .How long till he hurts someone else ?

To me the most worrying part of this is that no-one intervened on the Tram. The man was only apprehended after two children chased after him and told a Policeman.
What a couragous group of passengers! They should hang their heads in shame - Cowards: There is no other word for them.

Thread edited to remove the usual garbage, and the repetitive agenda driven monotonous drone.

Here we go again, venting our spleens and expressing our disgust with no regard to the fact we know fcuk all about the case other than the smallest of details. These types of threads are becoming as boring as jumping on the band wagon RIP condolence fest!
Extremely well said.

What concerned me earlier, was the absolute paucity of detail in the earlier reports.

Now it seems this attacker was a paranoid schizo, who appears to have been released under a supervisory order.

Ironically, in the news today, we have also had the report of the paranoid schizophrenic who killed his 21 year old care worker after not taking his anti-psychotic drugs , finally jailed. I'm looking for a link and can't find it.

Should somone with a proven propensity to violent acts be released into the community under supervision?

Still 21 , Good skills and drills, and a demonstration of what this forum can to do so well. Action, not ridiculous words.

People on the Tram were cowards, somehow I could have moved myself to come to the aid of a 97 year old man on two sticks being beaten up. even if was only putting myself infront of him and taking the kicking. (If he was bigger than me.... and physcotic.

As for the judge, mental.

This guy has mental problems and has attacked someone. Is it his fault, maybe not, should he be out on the loose? No fcuking way. Bang him up in New Bedlam, where he can be looked after.

Don't think you can sort his head out, the innocent should not be the test beds for some hippy, do gooder theory.

Halo

I've fired off an "Angry of Arrse"@ email to the correspondence address. :x :x It will be interesting to see how things develop.

@ well not actually "Angry of Arrse" but you know what I mean. :D

Scabster_Mooch said:
Unfortunately, I no longer have access to any law reports so I cannot do more research.

This is all I have been able to find:

Sentencing Gordon today to three years' supervision, Judge Macrae said a jail term was not in the best interest of the public.

Instead, he said, getting Gordon treatment for his illness was "in the best interests of the public in the future"..
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/...0.man_escapes_jail_for_blinding_96yearold.php

The report also mentions that he is a paranoid schizophrenic.

That might go some way towards explaining the sentence.

Personally, I think too little account has been given towards the deterrence part of sentencing.

....presently reading John Grisham's "A Time to Kill" (Good stuff Hilts)

Any chance of finding out Judge Macrae's habitat? Perhaps a few punches in his face might knock some sense into his senile judicial brain? Dynamite under his bed? The odd cross burning on his lawn?

***Posted by The Grand Wizard of The Croyden KKK, (Family Chapter)***

Sarcasm aside...this guy, (not the judge), needs to be locked up in a mental asylum, for the protection of the community. Unfortunately under the present system this doesn't happen often enough. Get back on this thread when he kills somebody in the near future.

The Tories closed down a lot of the institutions that used to care for people like Gordens and introduced 'Care in the Community'.
Read 'Neglect in the Community'

New Labour failed to reverse the damage and reopen residential units for the mentally ill.

Unsupervised interaction between ordinary people and the mentally ill is generally to the diasadvantage of both. Mentally ill people are abused, exploited and neglected. Ordinary people are occasionally victims of horrific acts of violence or less serious annoyance and disturbance.

Once again it is the criminal negligence of politicians that is resulting in ordinary people being killed and maimed. Some mentally ill people need residential care in secure institutions - those who are not dangerous enough for Broadmoor or Rampton may still be a threat. Paranoid schizophrenics should not be free to roam the streets or decide whether or not to take their medication.

It turns out that Gordens was not simply a brutal thug but is mentally ill. He should be confined - not as a punishment but for protection. His and ours. He cannot function as a member of the community and his 'treatment' will only be sucesssful as long as someone forces him to take his medication.

The more I read the report, the more I despair at the standards of journalism.

Wtf is a 3 years supervision? Supervision orders are for young offenders. This man is 44 so clearly that is not what is being referred to.

What conditions have been attached to the 'supervision'.

It seems to me as if journalists are less interested in informing than in getting an emotional response.

Useless shits. Can't even do their jobs properly.

Reading the "this is local London" link, it appears that the case was brought before Croydon Crown Court and not Croydon County Court (as the Beeb reported), so a representation to the Attorney General is appropriate.

Judge MacRae is on the South Eastern Circuit, and was called to the Bench(?) in 1990.

I am of course sympathetic to anyone suffering from mental illness, but wider society (particularly aged war veterans) need protection from those whose behaviour is a proven threat, and with the prevalence of violence in today's society there is a need for deterrent sentencing.

Why should the law-abiding majority have to run the risk of grievous bodily harm because the state has neglected the psychiatric care system?

Mr Gordon may well be a paranoid schizophrenic, but mental illness is routinely cited in such cases of violence as a mitigation, and is also associated with heavy recreational drug use. If Mr Gordon is free to live in the wider community, he presumably bears some responsibility for his behaviour, at the very least managing his illness. If he cannot exercise such responsibility or restraint, he should not be at liberty.

Email to AG on its way....

Did anyone else notice the great big smile on the B'stards face as he left court? Damn, I would just love to belt that bugger round that sh1t eating grin (preffereably with a lead pipe). Best wishes to the victim Shah BTW. Hope he has as speedy a recovery as possible and the bloke that blinded one of his eyes receives the same treatment. Git!

JCS, you're taking a position that would result in the exclusion of certain groups from daily interaction with mainstream society. You say he would be receiving help were he not being cared for in the community but mention nothing of the stigma of institutionalisation.

Stigma must be avoided at all costs in a modern civilised society. Far better to expose a child with autism to the behaviour of a child with ADHD in a mainstream school (with the risk of subsequent disruption for all concerned) than give those children help in a special school where there needs may be met, albeit at greater financial cost.

Similarly prison is an expensive option and by not incarcerating those with criminal behaviour we not only save money but also increase their chances of full reintegration as they are not having to live down the humiliation of a custodial sentence.

Any takers for a campaign to free Ian Brady?

Distgusting, but the only good what has come out of this is the fact we have proof that not all school kids are hoody scum and will do the right thing. Well done to the two youngsters when plenty of adults on the tram just turned the other way and let an old man get a kicking. I did notice the grin he gave when he left court, coward. :x

The_IRON said:
Distgusting, but the only good what has come out of this is the fact we have proof that not school kids are hoody scum and will do the right thing. Well done to the two youngsters when plenty of adults on the tram just turned the other way and let an old man get a kicking. I did notice the grin he gave when he left court, coward. :x
Here, here! Well done those school kids. I hope they get some sort of award.

Latest Threads