Attack at FSB HQ, Moscow, 19 Dec 19

Western-sponsored coup attempt, terror attack, disgruntled vodka-fuelled employee, someone bored by listening to Vlad's lengthy speech? It's been some time since an armed attack against the Russian government, so is this a one-off (seems strange given the apparent target) or the start of a series? In any case, one to watch.

'Multiple people are reported to be dead in Moscow after at least one shooter opened fire Thursday evening at the highly secure headquarters of Russia’s Federal Security Service, or FSB, according to several Russian news outlets. Heavy gunfire erupted outside the Russian spy agency in Lubyanka Square, where social-media footage shows several police officers running near the building with assault rifles. According to Reuters, the shooting incident may have been planned to coincide Putin’s commemorative speech for Russia’s day of the security services. “An unknown person opened fire near building #12 on the Bolshaya Lubyanka street,” the security agency said in a statement, according to the Interfax news agency. “Some people were injured.” One witness told Reuters she had heard shots fired in the same area and sirens, gunfire, and screams were heard by several people. In addition to the FSB building, Lubyanka Square is also a busy shopping destination popular with tourists and about a five-minute drive from the Kremlin.

'According to local news service Izvestia, as many as three people were killed in the attack, at least some of them employees of the spy agency. Two Federal Security Service personnel have also been seriously wounded, the Interfax news agency reported, citing the health ministry.'

Last edited:
Lordy! It takes a special kind of idiot to attack the Lubyanka.

I was in a taxi passing there awhile back. I noticed they still had brass Hammer & Sickle signs on the entrances from the KGB days. I asked the taxi driver about it. He had a pretty pragmatic response: "Who's going to tell them to take them down?"

Every news outlet that I'm looking at tells me that it happened today: Thursday.

Yeah, I can see that now too. Something very screwy with the 'originally published' tag on the article I cited.

E2A: OK, must be US East Coast Time; title amended.

I hope that if it transpires that there are UK nationals involved in this that HMG make every effort to help bring them before Russian justice.

That's how it works, isn't it...?

Lordy! It takes a special kind of idiot to attack the Lubyanka.

I was in a taxi passing there awhile back. I noticed they still had brass Hammer & Sickle signs on the entrances from the KGB days. I asked the taxi driver about it. He had a pretty pragmatic response: "Who's going to tell them to take them down?"

I was just about to say, who in their right mind attacks the KGB - might as well attack the CIA and see where that gets you.

Video emerging, but little identifiable so far. C4 news has reported that Russian security services are classing it as a terror incident, despite not knowing who did it, or why.

VIDEO reportedly showing last moments of Moscow shooter emerges online

Screenshot from a video purporting to show the last moments of the Moscow shooter. © RT