Attachment

Hey guys I am soon to be on attachment to an AAC unit. What kind of things should I expect? Good or bad, any insight would much appreciated.

Bebo.

Question 1. As what ?

Apart from things previously mentioned you can expect to be looked after. Just bear in mind that you don't want to be remembered for the wrong reasons, be polite to everyone, enjoy the flying (if you get any), don't talk too much and don't make an arrse of yourself in the mess. These points will all become far clearer when having your interviews at Sandhurst.

That said, you should enjoy it, interact with as many people as you can ie: don't get yourself bogged down with just the aircrew.

Take plenty of money as it is a tradition in the AAC that Offr Cadets buy the whole Squadron a curry and a few beers, you can get around this by turning up on day 1 with 6 crates of bitter and 6 of lager and presenting them to the ground crew.

And offering to pay for the minibus or taxi home

floppyjocky said:
Take plenty of money as it is a tradition in the AAC that Offr Cadets buy the whole Squadron a curry and a few beers, you can get around this by turning up on day 1 with 6 crates of bitter and 6 of lager and presenting them to the ground crew.
No arguments there, you can't beat a good vindaloo :D

Thanks for that, I do sometimes feel there is a slightly negative few towards UOTC cadets, however I am hoping that is not the case after I have completed my attachment.

Humility and a sense of humour sounds like a good place to start :)

Any other traditions to watch for in the mess?

Cheers.

Bebo.

seppi said:
Bebo , which unit are you going to 'cause i may have a special welcome for you !!!!
Not the "Seppi Special" welcome....................OOoooooooo

bebo said:
Hey guys I am soon to be on attachment to an AAC unit. What kind of things should I expect? Good or bad, any insight would much appreciated.

Bebo.
If you ever go up in a helicopter check your helmet (if you get one) for boot polish.
Make sure you have got loads of beer tokens as you will be "invited" to get the rounds in.
Make sure you dry behind your lugholes each day as you may be offered copious amounts of tissue.
Listen to any and all SNCO "skygods2 as 9 x out of 10 the ruperts dont know their arses from their elbow.

Those who will be with you know their subject/s so listen and learn and enjoy!!!!!!!

Gutersloh is an OK place, well it must be for the crabs to of had it for a few years.

There are plenty of places to visit in Germany but it really depends what you are after. As for the camp, I left there a few years back but I suspect it still boasts a few facilities including having its own club . . The camp also had/has a bank and a few other shops.

Getting into town is a small taxi ride, but most of the folks have a car.

The O mess has a special room left over from WW2 where the ceiling is allowed to colapse - If you get in there you need to ask for a demo and the full story.