Attachment issues - missing files

Some attachments will misbehave this afternoon and be visible at some times and break at others, ie. you'll get a red cross and no image where there should be one.

This will be cured tonight and all will be well tomorrow again.

Thanks GCO :)

About 20 attachments from the last 36 hours have been lost. I apologise to those affected!

Very odd. Could see Arte_et_Marte's picture this afternoon on work's pc (running IE 6 I think), so assumed GCO had done the biz. Came home, looked again using my pc (Chrome), no skip....

Admit it, someone's playing a prank on me!

I couldn't see the skip until this afternoon, quite why I wanted to see it I don't know. It's far from cameltoeish.

Sent from my iPoop touch using ARRSE app

Very odd. Could see Arte_et_Marte's picture this afternoon on work's pc (running IE 6 I think), so assumed GCO had done the biz. Came home, looked again using my pc (Chrome), no skip....

Did you try refresh or clearing your cookies.

Not odd really. One likely explanation: you had looked at the page on your work PC while the attachment was still there and your work PC will have cached it. When you next viewed the page it would just show the cached copy. Your home probably didn't have a cached copy.

Not odd really. One likely explanation: you had looked at the page on your work PC while the attachment was still there and your work PC will have cached it. When you next viewed the page it would just show the cached copy. Your home probably didn't have a cached copy.
Nope, post was posted after I had left work on the 25th, I tried to view it at home, no show (again, on either PC or using android phone), went to work on 26th, saw skip (it's really not that interesting, just its random appearances), went home, looked on site, no skip.

I will try the clearing of cookies. Anyone got a bucket?

Nope, post was posted after I had left work on the 25th, I tried to view it at home, no show (again, on either PC or using android phone), went to work on 26th, saw skip (it's really not that interesting, just its random appearances), went home, looked on site, no skip.

I will try the clearing of cookies. Anyone got a bucket?
Can I volunteer to hold your hair back?

Can I volunteer to hold your hair back?
Only if you promise not to look down my blouse.

Cookies and cache cleared, skip now visible, all is right with the world. As you were.

Probably but being an obvious computer biff, I wouldn't take my answer as gospel.

Hi GM. This is what happened.

Site load has been climbing as it gets busier. An increase in search engine hits gave a significant rise in page views and we starting getting slow responses in the mornings and evenings again.

To test out solutions I added another server. That bit is easy, but synchronising them so that a file uploaded on one is immediately mirrored on the other is not. Uploads being a case in point. Since the site was running better I decided to keep the second server and tidy up the synchronisation later - now done for everything except gallery photos. What I hadn't appreciated is how awkward it would be to combine the files from both servers in the new synchronised configuration (all files stored in database), so I cut my losses and only used the files from one server, discarding about 20 attachments.

During the time where two servers were running unsynchronised, you could upload a file which would be visible to people using that server, but not the other. That is the root of the issue you describe. That effect would have been complicated by caching, where a browser or our optimization doesn't always try and get a fresh copy of a file that may or may not be there.

Hopefully that last paragraph explains why I took the guess I did above, but why I can't be sure. It doesn't come as a surprise that you got that effect though.

Thanks for the explanation GCO, just worried it was something I'd done at my end!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
escape_artists_never_die OTC and ACF 5
Purple_Emperor ARRSE: Site Issues 1
bibo_boy Weapons, Equipment & Rations 30