Attaching your helmet to your assault vest

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by richy4, Jan 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On my belt kit I have a carabiner that I use on the metal loop at the rear of the yoke LHS.
    So when I am not using my helmet and need both hands I clip it to the carabiner on my belt kit, this is also where I put it for the CFT.

Now on the plce assault vest I have no handy metal loop so was wondering where others (if anyone does) fix their carabiner to hang their helmet when its not on your head?

Cheers

2. Assaults vests are very 2003!

3. i have one of these kit Monster attached to one of the straps from the shoulder

4. But what about on the assault vest?

5. But dozens of nylon webbing ones at 25mm spacing. Using some imagination, you could stick the krab through one of these, with the snap link outermost and crack on.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The trouble is there are so amny different designs of assault vest. Without knowing what pattern yours is, how you have configured the pouches and what kit you've packed it's really hard to say how you would hang your lid off it.

It would also help if we know what type of lid you've got. I'm still using the one I was issued in 1989 but I've added a webbing loop to the D ring at the back which I use to attach the karibener. If you attach it to the straps it swings about and it pulls the straps out of shape.

7. Are you talking about a flak jacket!

8. do you see the strap that comes down to the zip/ first qr, thats what i attached it to,

Attached Files:

9. Wouldn't this hurt ?

10. might have a prince albert

11. Nasty old business !

12. I've got to the stage in life where I see somebody with a helmet clipped onto their vest at chest level, and I get annoyed.

Luckily for me, I'm in a position such that I can tell them to take it off ( or just get them to take cover as if IDF was inbound... )

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thats the style of vest I have, and I don't want to attach it to the front.

14. Don't get the israeli bit?

15. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If you are not going to attach it to the front what do you plan to do with it?

You could set up some elastic and straps on the back like a bicycle helmet strap system on the back but you might feel a bit like a ninja turtle with your shell on your back.

Have you considered using the clips on the one of your pouches to secure the helmet via its strap or some sort of day sack?

Not sure what your problem with helmets clipped on at chest level is but fortunately I'm in a position not to care what you think.

What is your preferred option for helmet carriage?