ATTACHING 8METER MASTS TO LANDROVER 110S

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by bonzai_the_telic_dog, Mar 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ATTACHING 8METER MASTS TO LANDROVER 110'S IS IT POSSIBLE? WE WANT TO PUT THEM ON BACK SO WE HAVE A FAST SETUP AND FAST LOWER AND GO. ONE OF OUR BOYS SAYS HE SAW AN INFANTRY UNTI WIT THIS SETUP SO WE LOOKING INTO IT!! ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS?
    CHEERS
    BONZ

2. Are you TA RLC by any chance?

3. ??????? OH WHY DOES IT MATTER? DO YOU NEED TO BE REG TO DO IT?? LOL

4. No but anyone who remembers putting 8m masts on lanny 110's is either dead or senile by now. By the way, do you know a guy called Abacus? He's STAB RLC and cleans mens underpants.

P.S Shout at me again and I'll bite your fcuking face off.

5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

when is an 8M mast not an 8M mast, when its attached to a LR110 and mad a 9M mast :lol:

6. I'm not dead and...... and...... and......... where was I...... Oh yes, I'm not senile yet either.

There are...... or that is more likely were several issue mounting sets for the 8m mast. Both consisted of a bracket and rubber cup that fitted in the rear bumper and either a bracket that attached permanently to the Landrover hard top or an adjustable bracket that could be attached to the back near the tailgate on the soft top.

I haven't got NSNs for them, as not even I keep useless bits of info like that for longer than I need to, but if you make a few enquiries through the system you may be able to find them. That said they aren't as 'ace' as they would first seem. They get in the way of camming up, setting up of penthouse etc. and give you something else to loose when you leave your wagon parked unattended. But if you do want them they are/were out there.

7. Gordie the rlc is the biggest corps in the army how in gods name would i know him?? lol and sorry i have a habbit of leaving caps lock on!! And thanks for the advice plant pilot!! I will certainly ask up throught the monkey tree see what comes about!!

And gordie does ARAB ring a bell for you? :p lol
    i have done my regular stint now i doing my reserve stint so back off!

8. If you as a unit have a need to mount masts on LRs then you HAVE to go through the proper channels - ask your LAD to sort out the appropriate MOD instruction and off you go.......... If its WOLF you are on about, you also need permission from the equipment manager to fit them as he wont release the proper authorised MOD kits to just anyone. Once you've got the kit, it needs to be fitted by your LAD and recorded correctly in the docs, Ohhh, god, I'm loosing the will to live with this one now...........................

Do it any other way, when your bodge job falls off and kills someone, I'll sit in the public gallery in court and laugh at you! Loudly. And call you rude names. Prolly flick rolled up bits of paper at you. And some other stuff.

Have a feckin nice day

BS

9. I'm sure 26 Regt RA had them mounted on their rovers for Telic 3.

10. I am old and senile, and can remember the fittings to the 110s, in fact our unit still has them and still uses them.

Ideal for recces as we can put up a mast dead quick, check, freqs, drop it and move in minutes.
    Difficult for static locs as difficult to cam veh up.

11. A couple of other little things you wish to consider - I'll keep it simple.

If the mast is supporting some sort of VHF antenna (pineapple/broadband etc.) then you'll be turning an omni-directional antenna in a directional one - using the vehicle as a ground plane - from the mast - through the vehicle and imagine a big blob to the front - good comms - to the sides not so good, behind - pretty bad, with lots of little black spots in between.

If you are using it to support some type of HF antenna - make sure you earth it well or you will develop an interesting collection of RF burns.

They're good in certain situations (like the one bobos mentioned) but if you go static - then not good or efficient.

12. If using a pineaplle, and given that it is insulated from the mast, and the mast is insulated from the veh, it should not affect the ground plane too much. I vaguely seem to remember a tablet of stone which explained the variations in using vehs in that form. VHF of course depends a lot on the take-off angle so should not be adersely affected by the veh setup.

What was the other point

13. The second point,

a - the veh should be earthed anyway.

b - one should never play with masts whilst txing or rxing. normally check with ops first, or exit from net and power down.

one of the probs these days are that sprogs are taught odd antenna combinatons before they go on their rad ops course. This is where good unit expertise is needed to stop the sprogs doing things that they know f*** all about and risk causing themselves injuries.

14. The kits are out there, RSigs use them as well. Good for quick comms tests etc and recce role, as can be used without guys.

15. rgr that i will go snoop about the sigs see what they say but its mainly for comms checks on recces. And it is not wolfs we not that lucky!! lol thanks for the advice guys!!