Atrial Septal Defect

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mag_to_grid, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know anything much about it? Ive just been diagnosed today and other than what I have found on the net I dont know a lot about it. Im 30 years of age, no longer in the regs but in the TA and im not showing any symptoms. The defect was found as a result of something else.

Will I be able to stay in the TA? Im into my phys in a BIG way too so will I be able to carry on with that?

Waiting out to see a cardiologist but in the mean time it doesnt do any harm to have a bit of knowledge on the matter does it?

2. mwl946

mwl946 LE Good Egg (charities)

Surprised it wasnt picked up before now?

Atrio-septal defect is present from birth The foetal heart has an opening between the atria in utero, as the blood flow in the foetus is different. Normally closes up after first breath.Persistent ASD ("hole in the heart") usually diagnosed in infancy and repaired then.
  3. Have just spoke to the other half, she is an anaesthetist in a heart surgery, she says the same that she is very surprised it wasn't found as a child, she also says that it needs to be closed but would be very dangerous to do so if you had High Pulmonary Pressure but she thinks you haven't as you have never had any symptoms.

She said the operation to close this can be carried out in a Cat Lab with the use of a tiny umbrella device so there should be no reason for full scale open heart surgery...

Hope that helps as it's confusing as you like for me! 8O
  4. mwl946

Spot on Gundolph!

If you had high pulmonary pressures Mag, you would know about it by now, so put that out of your head.

The Cardiologist is the only one to decide and advise re intervention.

But feel free to PM if I can help further.
  5. Dont worry Mag2Grid. I had mine closed off on Valentines Day !

Mine was discovered when I had a series of mini strokes and confirmed by angiogramme and Bubble Test, it was 8mm. Surgeons enter your heart valve from your groin (via artery) and place a BioSTAR to seal the hole and your heart muscle then grows over it as it disolves.

Takes about an hour - overnight in hospital ( felt pretty shaky 3 days later when the anasthetic started to leave my body) but fine now. They said that after a week you can return to exercise, If you are a fitness freak yo might want to speak to the cardiologist about it - it takes about 6 months or so to grow over when you should be fine to leap over mountains again.

PM me if you want

6. Thank you everyone. Some very re-assurring posts!! Thanks for the offers of further info by PM, may well be asking you some questions in the near future.

As to why it was never picked up I am at a loss too. I had tests on my heart when I was 16 as the old man has a defective Aorta (Spelling) and they didnt find anything wrong then. Strange eh?
  7. mwl946

Very strange! Would be interested to know how this particular Doc picked it up when missed by the others. Did you have an echocardiogram (an ultrasound exam of the heart)?

Would suspect, however, that your good health and general fitness would indicate that the defect is a very small one.

I echo previous poster - good luck, and let us know how you go!
  8. You need to have a good chat with the Doc to establish exactly what form of septal defect you have.

I was diagnosed with..... wait for it.... a lower left ventricular septal heart defect during a routine medical for an insurance policyl which took place on the third week of my CP course. MO at Woolwich didn't blink and sent me straight back to Longmore.

Mine was described to me as a tiny overlap in tissue when my heart 'sealed', so instead of there being a hole in my heart there was an uneven area which made the blood gurgle ever so slightly. So no hole in the heart, no treatment and no problems. And no getting out of PT.

I would suggest that if yours was missed in the past it is likely to be just as trivial, but get the Doc to explain what it is.
  9. Yeah I had an echocardiogram and they found it on that (Had one the first time too when they didnt find it).

Western, certainly have no intentions of doing the CP course again so I think im safe there!!
  10. The wonders of the NHS - having been told that I had "quite a considerable sized hole in my heart that would probably need to be operated on" I was told that I needed to go for a TOE - not sure what this stands for. Anyway, went for the TOE and had a camera rammed down my throat only to be told that there was no hole. Got the all clear officially on Monday, so cracking on with life in general as per before.

So 4 months of flapping like a good 'un is no over.

Thanks for everyones advice.

11. mwl946

Glad all OK!! :D

TOE = Transoesophageal electrocardiogram

Cardiac nurse hat on:-Basically - putting the camera on an endoscope into the oesophagus gives a more detailed picture than when done through the skin of the chest : Nursey hat off :roll:
  12. Its great.

I got held back after finishing training and had to go back after Christmas leave as a suspected murmur was picked up. Came back clear and cracked on, got out a few years later, re-enlisted, clear again, last year of service started struggling with phys, pains ect, sent me to London, found a whacking great hole.

First doc tried a method of introducing a gauze type thing by going through the thighs, it is supposed to sit in the required spot indefinately. Didnt work.

Next step sternum entry, invasive surgery, scar like a thumb right down the middle, 12 weeks in your pit on Tramadol watching spirit crushing TV.

Stay away from energetic dogs as one landing on your stitches chaffs a bit.

PM me if you need any bumpf mate, I had mine done in the April, was on Telic by August same year, and deployed on Herrick the year after, it is a bit daunting when you are pretty young but once its sorted you can think up all manner of tall tales for the scar and the 2 drainhole marks on your torso.

Reni "there were 3 of em and they had a sword" _77 :D
  13. Depends on positioning also, mine was as awkward as feck, it took a tenacious doctor who wouldnt let it drop to locate it and deal with accordingly.