ATR WINCHESTER - Sticky for all those joining in 2018

Was just onto my recruitment advisor, she said you couldn't buy a 'lot' at Winchester for basic training eg Tent pegs, Twisters, Elasticised bungees.... All that stuff... Is there a website where you could purchase all this stuff ? what are you guys doing ?
Amazon & eBay is the best for them.

Savage Island 10 pack Heavy Duty Olive Elastic Military Bungee Cords - Olive Green (30")
Bulk Hardware BH04472 Steel Tent Peg, 150 x 3 mm (6 inch) - Pack of 20
Mil-Com Trouser Twists - Pack of 10
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Amazon & eBay is the best for them.

Savage Island 10 pack Heavy Duty Olive Elastic Military Bungee Cords - Olive Green (30")
Bulk Hardware BH04472 Steel Tent Peg, 150 x 3 mm (6 inch) - Pack of 20
Mil-Com Trouser Twists - Pack of 10
Where did it say we need any of these items? My recruitment officers haven’t been so useful in telling me stuff like this.

Where did it say we need any of these items? My recruitment officers haven’t been so useful in telling me stuff like this.
You should get a "newsletter" type thing that has a kit list emailed to you? When did you pass selection and what date do you start?

You should get a "newsletter" type thing that has a kit list emailed to you? When did you pass selection and what date do you start?

Yeah but in the email, it’s just clothes, bathroom stuff?
Start date is August 13th

Yeah but in the email, it’s just clothes, bathroom stuff?
Start date is August 13th
Yeah. Clothes, bathroom, first aid kit, iron, etc.
Tent pegs and bungees aren't on the kit list for Winchester this time, just Pirbright.

Did you pass selection recently or a while ago?
I passed end of March, and got an email in April but start September.

Yeah. Clothes, bathroom, first aid kit, iron, etc.
Tent pegs and bungees aren't on the kit list for Winchester this time, just Pirbright.

Did you pass selection recently or a while ago?
I passed end of March, and got an email in April but start September.

So people going to Winchester also need tent pegs etc??
My selection was beginning of July and I got the email for August 13th last week.

So people going to Winchester also need tent pegs etc??
My selection was beginning of July and I got the email for August 13th last week.
I dunno tbh. It's not on the kit list this time but was on an older one. I dunno if there's more info closer to Loading.
My intake was delayed due to the June intake being full so I dunno if I'm yet to receive more instructions.

I dunno tbh. It's not on the kit list this time but was on an older one. I dunno if there's more info closer to Loading.
My intake was delayed due to the June intake being full so I dunno if I'm yet to receive more instructions.

Ah gotcha, I mean if it’s not on the kit list..should be fine without I guess.
My process has been shit as well, I applied in 2017 before they changed systems so they had to reactive my number and it’s just been so slow. Apparently they lost around 10,000 applicants details last year because they made the recruiting process over to civilian companies.
Well my training is in matter of weeks and I’ve only received the one checklist

Ah gotcha, I mean if it’s not on the kit list..should be fine without I guess.
My process has been shit as well, I applied in 2017 before they changed systems so they had to reactive my number and it’s just been so slow. Apparently they lost around 10,000 applicants details last year because they made the recruiting process over to civilian companies.
Well my training is in matter of weeks and I’ve only received the one checklist
That's what I'm hoping. Apparently quality isn't as good getting it from the shops on camp so fingers crossed.

Yeah ditto. I applied June 2017. They've lost my details twice, had a medical nightmare, finally got to selection, did so good was meant to go to training less than 2 months after but then got delayed another 5 months as it was full. Was gutted haha.

Jesus, that many!! Yeah they need to hand it back to service personnel bc civvie ones don't get the urgency.

You done all your security checks?
Bet you' re excited it's finally happening!

Yeah I've got almost everything on the list now

That's what I'm hoping. Apparently quality isn't as good getting it from the shops on camp so fingers crossed.

Yeah ditto. I applied June 2017. They've lost my details twice, had a medical nightmare, finally got to selection, did so good was meant to go to training less than 2 months after but then got delayed another 5 months as it was full. Was gutted haha.

Jesus, that many!! Yeah they need to hand it back to service personnel bc civvie ones don't get the urgency.

You done all your security checks?
Bet you' re excited it's finally happening!

Yeah I've got almost everything on the list now

Out of interest what was your medical nightmare? Because I had acne on my shoulders, at start of 2017 I had just finished a year of tablets. Then I had to get proof that my skin was all good, so that was up to summer 2017 and then they lost my details and I applied again around this time last year haha! Wasted like 18 months of my life trying to join now
Ah hitting mate, well they hurried mine up because my selection was in Edinburgh at the start of June. I still live with my parents and they’ve moved to Majorca, Spain haha. So I’m happy I got the August date.

Yeah, my god that was some deep vetting. But the check list is the next for me, when I get back to UK, I need to get everything haha!
I mean we’re still technically civilian but screw civvies companies

Buzzing, just got my service number today via email!
Also did you guys know that after 4 years (with 12 months notice) you then transition into Reserves for 6 years? Before you could do 4 years and then just leave with retention.
I mean, I’m wanting a full career anyway but thought it was an odd change.

Buzzing, just got my service number today via email!
Also did you guys know that after 4 years (with 12 months notice) you then transition into Reserves for 6 years? Before you could do 4 years and then just leave with retention.
I mean, I’m wanting a full career anyway but thought it was an odd change.
The Army Reserve (Regular) is distinct from and should not be confused with the former TA of the same name, the Army reserve.

The Regular Reserve consists of ex-regular personnel who retain a statutory liability for service and are liable to be recalled for active military duty "in case of imminent national danger or great emergency".

Don’t stress.

Last edited:
The Army Reserve (Regular) is distinct from and should not be confused with the former TA of the same name, the Army reserve.

The Regular Reserve lconsists of ex-Regular personnel who retain a statutory liability for service and are liable to be recalled for active military duty "in case of imminent national danger or great emergency".
Oh I see so it is still 4 years and done? Just the reserve phrasing confused me.

Out of interest what was your medical nightmare? Because I had acne on my shoulders, at start of 2017 I had just finished a year of tablets. Then I had to get proof that my skin was all good, so that was up to summer 2017 and then they lost my details and I applied again around this time last year haha! Wasted like 18 months of my life trying to join now
Ah hitting mate, well they hurried mine up because my selection was in Edinburgh at the start of June. I still live with my parents and they’ve moved to Majorca, Spain haha. So I’m happy I got the August date.

Yeah, my god that was some deep vetting. But the check list is the next for me, when I get back to UK, I need to get everything haha!
I mean we’re still technically civilian but screw civvies companies
I was misdiganosed with flat feet as a kid so never put an application in with the Army. Couple of years ago i realised the error haha. But then it flagged up so had to wait to get documentation sent out that wasn't flagged at PHCR stage.

Wow! That's ridiculous! Was on the news not so long back how the joining process makes people who are fit to serve drop out bc you kind of put your life in hold to do it.

God. I haven't had the vetting yet.
Don't know anything about it tbh. I've also changed my name for deed poll during the candidate process so I'm sure that will cause hell.

Haha, least you will have a tan for winter training
Yeah technically civvies with a better "get it done on the double" appreciation!

Damn that’s crazy! There was one guy in my selection who had a broken ankle 10 years ago but was the second fittest there, but got medically referred for not having a note from the GP, it’s crazy.

Yeah, that’s why I still live with my parents at age 20 haha
It’s not bad, just takes like 45 minutes to do so it gets boring. Don’t worry I’ve got a deed poll too haha, gotta love Step-dads!

Haha UK had 33 degrees in Suffolk today! Hotter than Spain by a few degrees
Well my recruit officer, English was her second language so it wasn’t great..

Lads,

What’s the rush?

It’ll all come round eventually.

Enjoy your freedom whilst you have it.
You’ll be doing block jobs in no time and counting the days until you can click that glorious button on JPA & leave in four years time.
Haha it’s just that I’ve been trying since I was 16, 4 years ago haha.

Nah I’ll do full career unless it’s superbly bad

Hi everyone, has anyone got a start date for 27th August, I'm assuming that there won't be many because I initially was told Winchester then got told that there was not enough people for the course so I was going to pirbright and now I've been told winchester again

Damn that’s crazy! There was one guy in my selection who had a broken ankle 10 years ago but was the second fittest there, but got medically referred for not having a note from the GP, it’s crazy.

Yeah, that’s why I still live with my parents at age 20 haha
It’s not bad, just takes like 45 minutes to do so it gets boring. Don’t worry I’ve got a deed poll too haha, gotta love Step-dads!

Haha UK had 33 degrees in Suffolk today! Hotter than Spain by a few degrees
Well my recruit officer, English was her second language so it wasn’t great..
Oh god. That's outrageous. Especially when recruitment is at a low for what they need it to be.
I get why they have to do things but red tape drives me insane.

Ahh we all have to do things to build us up to where we need to be.
It's taken me till I'm 28, a degree and a masters to realise I wish I'd just joined when I was 17 like I wanted to

Sound. I feel a bit better about it then haha.

Ooh you'll be crispy wherever you are then haha. My skin tone screams "works 40hours in an office."

yeah I imagine that complicates things. It's made when your career depends on it. I've had about 3 CSM's that all said opposite things. The best one was a 4th guy I got by accident because my one was busy and he explained loads. You sound like you got really unlucky!

Latest Threads